Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 17, 2019, 11:29:23 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Range report with 2019 upgraded MDR
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Range report with 2019 upgraded MDR  (Read 564 times)
JesseJames38

« on: June 10, 2019, 04:33:45 PM »

Just came back from the range with my MDR with the 2019 upgrades. First a quick rundown of the rifle history. This rifle has been returned to Desert tech once when it was still new in the box for various items.  Items being a broken pin for the ejector mech, the magazine catch end falling off if you where to push the catch out and rotate it 90 degrees down, and the barrel lock/unlock Allen screw having no detents.  Function of the rifle prior to the upgrades was good using Remington core-lok ammo and federal xm80 ball, with XM80 ball showing damaged rims from moderate to severe. Using STG 58 nato ammo, well every rim was destroyed and cases stuck into the chamber and required to be tapped out.

Now the review with the new 2019 updates.   Parts that are installed in the rifle is the 2019 gas valve, new extractor and modified handguards.  Rounds fired is 80 rounds of STG 58, and 10 rounds of Federal xm80.  Started out with the gas at setting 3 and the rifled functioned fine. Then reduced the gas setting to 2, also the rifle functioned flawless.  For giggles I placed the gas valve on setting 1. Rifle fired and extracted the casing to the point it started to engage the scissor mech, and the shelf behind the bolt head locked open on the last round hold open. So from this point I placed the gas valve back at 2.  of the 90 rounds I have 0 stuck cases, and rim damage was very minimal. You could see where the extractor gripped the cartridge on the forward side of the rim.  There was no rim damage or distortion around the circumference or back side of the rim.

Of the rounds fired, there was 3 light primer strikes on the stg58 ammo, just a slight pull back on the handle and rechamber they all went off the second trigger pull. The other small hiccup I had was twice the magazine catch didn't want to lock the magazine in until after I dropped the bolt. Placed magazine in and then charged the rifle and functioned great.

I am satisfied of the function of the rifle in the regards of shooting and not having any stuck cases.  I am unsatisfied with the magazine catch not resetting after dropping a magazine a few times.  The more surprising part is my optic was still zeroed from what I can tell after the rifle came back from DT.

Jesse.
Box

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 04:53:04 PM »

Did it seem over gassed at all?
JesseJames38

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 05:52:50 PM »

Depends how you view over gassed.   If you view it by what the mfg. says to use for Normal then yes. If you adjust the gas setting for the rifle you have the No.   I would say that if I was to run the rifle suppressed then I would use the 2018 6 pos. gas valve. I should have stated that I do not have a suppressor.   Being that the firearm is unsuppressed and using the 2019 in Position 2,  Position 1 is the very lowest gas setting.  The way the gas valve is marked it is 1,S,3,N,5,A (S= suppressed, N= Normal, A= Adverse).  Setting 2 (.029") on the 2019 gas valve sits between setting 2 (.026") and 3 (.037") of the 2018 6 pos. gas plug.

These gas settings may be more unique to each MDR.  Others may require more gas then mine. From my view, if I was to buy and use a suppressor. I feel I would need a lower gas setting then what is offered in the 2019 gas valve.   Ohh, and the holes cut in the side of the hand guard is only  useable to check the gas setting of the rifle with the 2019 Valve. I don't see a way to adjust the gas by that little window. Would have been better to cut the top of the handguard off so you could adjust it, that's just my thoughts.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 07:14:31 PM »

How did it shot on 2?

I know on N its unbearable...compared to other guns I've shot in 7.62x51.
JesseJames38

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 07:25:21 PM »

In my opinion it shot great.  I didn't have any issues with function other then the light primer strikes.  Recoil was fine, I didn't feel like I was getting beat up.  Everything felt smooth as far as function went.     Not sure if that is what you where asking about
alienworker

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 08:52:48 AM »

Glad to hear the function is good.
Hope you get your mag catch situation fixed.It seems easy to get binding in the linkage and greasing it and working it back and forth seems to have helped mine get around where an ar15 is force wise.
I've been wanting to get mine back to the range and try it on 2 as well.Thats awesome that it functions!Was the recoil any different between 2 and 3?
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 09:54:52 AM »

How many rounds you got through it?

Any peening on the bolt or high wear areas?
JesseJames38

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 11:16:39 AM »

For the difference of recoil between setting 3 or 2 I am not sure there was a difference. That is something I wasnít paying attention to. When the rifle came back it was set to 3.   I fired two rounds and it worked fine then I set it to 2 and it worked then I tried 1.  Setting 1 didnít work so I when back to 2 and left it there.    I was more concerned if I was going to need a cleaning rod to tap out rounds the then what different settings felt like for recoil. In my opinion the recoil feels similar to my mega arms .308 AR , and that is a heavy rifle. The other flip of the coin is the dons was always shot prob or on a rest, where the MDR was always standing.  I am sure that has a bit to do with the felt recoil also.

So far I donít see any wear areas on the bolt carrier, bolt or any other reciprocating components. Even the ejector mech. and chute looks pretty good. This is not a high round count rifle.  There is approximately 400 rounds fired out of this rifle. 
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 01:44:54 PM »

Keep it up. Good report. Happy to hear about your results. Gives me hope.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length