Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2019, 12:34:35 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Bolt and Guide Pin Battering with Low Round Count
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bolt and Guide Pin Battering with Low Round Count  (Read 471 times)
downeyg

« on: June 04, 2019, 11:19:37 AM »

After shooting a total of 621 rounds (Federal American Eagle XM193) through my X95 since its purchase, I discovered battering damage to the bolt locking helix camming surface and the bolt guiding pin.  The surface of the pin had a flat spot that was peened (not worn) into its surface, displacing material.  The camming surface of the bolt helix had peening damage that displaced material.  The bolt also had battering to the side of the locking lug that mates with the rotation control bar.  This damage showed up very early in the round count (posting of this issue already made) and appeared to be an indication of what was going to show up latter with the camming surfaces.  The ammunition fired through the rifle was not the cause of the damage to the bolt or guide pin.  My best guess is that the there is a lack of adequate hardening to the bolt and guide pin.  To me, battering like this should never show up, let alone with such a low round count.  If anyone has seen similar issues, please let me know.  I hope there is not a design deficiency and only a QC issue.

The rifle was sent to IWI to be evaluated.  IWI replaced the bolt and guide pin.  I received the rifle back quickly.  Hopefully the damage does not occur again.

* Bolt Damage.jpg (972.73 KB, 1960x2766 - viewed 133 times.)

* Pin Damage.jpg (770.81 KB, 1810x2402 - viewed 114 times.)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 11:35:40 AM by downeyg » Logged
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 01:34:02 PM »

I think the assessment and solution is correct. Here are mine:

Mine is a left hand version so, it looks backward from yours. As you can see, mine doesn't have the damage yours does. At the time of this picture,  have 1,532 rounds fired with this bolt.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
downeyg

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 08:38:55 AM »

Your bolt and guide pin look like I would expect them to look, perfectly fine.  I hope the issue was just a hardening deficiency, which is a good possibility.  The only question is, who else will have this problem?
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 12:02:37 PM »

Doesn't this make 2...X95s that have had softish bolts? Maybe a bad batch made it out...call IWI.
downeyg

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 01:08:39 PM »

My thought exactly on the bolt being soft.  We will see what the new one is like.
DubageL

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 03:25:10 PM »

Which bolt was it, the early single pin ejector or current dual pin ejector?
downeyg

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 07:10:49 PM »

Newer, dual ejector.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 08:11:50 PM »

My single ejector bolt is good to go...maybe the new twin ejector bolts are softer...
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 09:00:01 PM »

Mine is a single ejector.

Freedom isn't free.
downeyg

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 09:39:28 PM »

I certainly hope IWI tests my old bolt and guide pin to see if the hardness of them is up to specification.  If both are properly hardened then there is a bigger problem.  If they are not, then quality control is lacking, which is a problem.  Of course, I will never know if the parts are tested and if they are within hardness specifications.  If I do not have the same issue with the new bolt and guide pin, I will have my answer, at my expense of ammunition.  These rifles are very expensive, these problems should not be occurring.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 10:05:53 PM by downeyg » Logged
JRKrejsa

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 03:29:20 AM »

My single ejector bolt is good to go...maybe the new twin ejector bolts are softer...

My double ejector bolt is fine.  Iíve had it for not quite two years, 1600 rounds total.

My guess is a bad batch of bolts.
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 08:32:24 PM »

These rifles are very expensive, these problems should not be occurring.
I agree that this problem should not be happening. I don't consider this a "very" expensive gun, but it ain't cheap. To quantify what I mean, look at Accuracy International rifles or Krieghoff shotguns.

I started a thread asking about problems with the X95. I received nothing but positive comments. The only problems posted had to do with modified guns. All the factory ones seem to have a very high reliability rate.

This is the first time I've seen a part with this kind of wear. Even though your part was damaged, it hasn't failed. Of course you caught it before it failed. I'd be interested to see just how long it would have run without replacing it. I bet you still would have got a couple thousand rounds out of it at a minimum.

Freedom isn't free.
downeyg

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 08:06:35 PM »

Unfortunately, I do not have a budget that allows for the ammunition needed to test the gun to failure.  I would like IWI to test the bolt and guide pin to see if they are or are not up to the proper hardness specifications.  I would love to know the results, but that will never happen. 
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 09:35:25 PM »

Yeah, I think we would all love to have that kind of time and cash. I'm just glad you got yours fixed up and it's working fine.

Freedom isn't free.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length