Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2020, 07:50:59 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  OLIGHT New Weapons Light Sale May 24th
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: OLIGHT New Weapons Light Sale May 24th  (Read 511 times)
rjhyland

« on: May 21, 2019, 08:54:37 PM »

May 24th Ohlight will have a sale for the new PL2 at 30 and 40% off. I'm gonna pick one of these up for my pistol as it sends out an eye bleeding 1500 lumans.

Here is the website with the specifics https://www.olightstore.com/

And here is a Youtube video going over some specs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ZCk4M1D_c

Thought I would send it out in case someone is looking to try or buy a new light.
Andygold

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 04:38:04 PM »

Just to add some info.

Sale is a one-day sale (May 24, 2019, and only May 24, 2019).

The emitter is "neutral white" (like an incandescent bulb color) as opposed to "cool white" (super white, with possibly a touch of blue, but hopefully not green).

Thes lights have built-in batteries.  Better make sure you are fully charged before going into the field.  If the light runs out of juice in the field, you cannot just pop in a fresh set of CR123A batteries...you need to recharge it before it will function again.

Light is rated at 1500 lumens on mode 1.  There is a thermal protection circuit that kicks in at around 1 minute and 30 seconds, which then reduces the output to 600, which is still quite bright.  That 600 lumens is specked as running for 45 minutes.  That minute and 30 seconds of 1500 lumens could be a little more or less depending upon your ambient conditions.  If it's cold outside it will run "maybe" a bit more.  If it is hot outside, the light will heat up quicker and you "may" not even get the minute and a half of runtime before it ramps down to 600 lumens.

The second mode (mode 2) is 300 lumens.  It is rated to run for 90 minutes at that brightness.  There is no mention of either a thermal ramping or timed ramping on the 300 lumen mode...so I "guess" it will run at or around 300 lumens for that amount of time on a full charge (if the driver is "regulated").  

Also, there is no mention if this is direct drive or if the output is regulated.  If direct drive, it will continuously diminish in brightness from the moment you turn it on, constantly getting dimmer and dimmer until the battery is exhausted.  If regulated, it will maintain a constant brightness until some set point at which time it will just turn off.  Direct drive (unregulated) at least lets you know when the battery is getting weak as the light output will slowly diminish.  Regulated drivers give you full light output, and then suddenly die, giving you little to no warning.  So, basically they each have their issues for you to be aware of.

Also, there's no mention of parasitic draw.  Many electronically controlled LED flashlights have circuitry that's constantly running in the background, using power.  Some lights will kill the battery in a week or two, even if you've put them away fully charged.  This light does not seem to have a way to disconnect the battery to eliminate parasitic draw (if it does exist in this light).  A prime example of parasitic draw is the EoTech holographic sights.  Their poor runtime comes partially from the electronics being constantly in the "on" position, even though the laser appears to be off.  Those electronics use a lot of juice, even though the light is sitting there in your safe, not being used.

I was considering picking one of these up for myself, but decided against it mainly because of the built-in battery.  I can see putting the firearm away for a period of time, coming back to it when needed and having a battery life that is totally unknown.  It's like driving around in your car with a broken gas gauge, and no trip meter to know how many miles you've driven on the tank.  Do you have 200 miles left before empty, or do you have 5 miles?  You could gas it up before every trip, which is basically what you would have to do with this light.  At least with some lithium CR123A batteries, you've got a 10 year shelf life, and can replace them in less than a minute when necessary.  Also with removable batteries, if there is some parasitic draw, you can leave the battery cover loose to break the circuit, or pop in a new set as needed.

Hi, my names Andy, and I'm a Flashaholic!!!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 04:44:50 PM by Andygold » Logged
rjhyland

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 11:18:50 PM »

Good info Andy. I picked one up today for my pistol.
Andygold

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 08:08:01 AM »

I guess for the casual user, this light would be GREAT!  For a warfighter, I would choose something with quickly, and easily replaceable batteries, and a remote pressure switch that attaches to the light more positively than by use of a magnet. I can see a positive of the magnet if your wire gets hung up on a tree branch for example, as hopefully the magnet would pop off before the wire gets damaged.  But personally i'd prefer a locking connection to the light with a wire robust enough to take getting hung up, without breaking.  With the magnet, I can imagine Murphy's Law coming into play.  Popping off in a moment of serious need.  If nothing else, I'd probably run duct tape, or similar, over the magnet part in between charges  to ensure a bit more security.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 08:09:41 AM by Andygold » Logged
rjhyland

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 11:19:49 AM »

Ideally you would want your cable tied down close. I think that would eliminate snag and a lot off that pop off issue. And even then you could just wrap the magnet with velcro or something. As far as the internal battery, that's what I wanted but the points you made on field recovery for the light should it die are spot on. You could always in a pinch if your light dies pull one off your belt too. A 600 or 800 or whatever your EDC is. However that's not as effective but will work.

I have 18650 batteries, CR2032's. AA, AAA, 9v this and that and I am tired of buying batteries Smiley

I originally bought the 1200 Luman PL-2 with removable 123A batteries and sent it back yesterday when I seen this new sale. Reason being the new PL-2 Pro had 2 modes where the 1200 L had just the one mode, HIGH, and then the ramp down. No batteries. Plus the new one is brighter, less expensive right now, has the 600 L option, has a pressure switch and is easy to move to another platform like a shotgun. so to me it was a better value.

For a nightstand light on a G17 it should be awesome.

When I get it I'll post a pic to show how it sizes up on the 17.

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length