Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 19, 2019, 12:05:45 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  1.5 or 3.0?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1.5 or 3.0?  (Read 478 times)
Sdevante
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: May 15, 2019, 10:52:48 PM »

Thinking on picking up an AUG soon, but cannot decide between the 1.5 or 3.0 factory optic. All things being equal, I prefer the 3.0....but I found a 1.5 on sale that is $400 cheaper.

Somebody please talk some sense into me.
Andygold

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 09:36:20 AM »

Be advised, I have neither, and have never looked through either.  I ended up purchasing the extended rail model.  Originally I was in the same boat as you, trying to decide between the 2 magnified optics.  The 1.5x is what was deemed proper by the Austrians from the beginning, but now the Austrian military users the 3.0x.
I was leaning towards the 3x myself, figuring that the 1.5x was not much more magnification than a non-magnified 1.0x, and for that little amount of magnification over a true 1x, I might as well get a 1x red dot sight and have faster target aquisition, and possibly also do away with the tube-effect.  So, I was leaning towards the 3x!  Then, I decided although I like the angular look of the built in scopes, for the money spent on the 3x, I could get a better optic for the price.  Having a PS90 with the built-in secret service sight, I like the sight, but wish it had some form of illumination.  I carry that thought over to the AUG.  I want for my aging eyes at least 3x ability with some illumination for a more rapid target aquisition.  I ended up getting the extended rail, and for now I'm throwing on an ACOG I had laying around.  If they ever become available here in the US, I may go for the Steyr  SF version 3.0x scope with it's lower than usual height, and stick a red dot on top to get the best of both worlds.  I went back and forth many times trying to decide between the two, and then opted for neither  
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 04:33:41 PM by Andygold » Logged
poodle shooter

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 03:47:38 PM »

Suggest getting a rail model and installing a SpecterDR 1x & 4x. If you get a rail model you want the rail that extends back to the ejection port as the SpecterDR has short eye relief, although it will just make it on the shorter rail, for me at least. Difficult to find better glass for the price than the SpecterDR.

JMO

www.gtr5.org
mb60

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 10:36:16 AM »

I run on my AUG a Nikon M223 scope, a 1-4x20mm, in an M223 mount.
Halmbarte

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 12:15:05 PM »

I generally run lower powered scopes as most all my shooting is 300 yards or less during action rifle matches.

With that in mind I would generally prefer the 1.5x option as you'll have a larger field of view to find targets faster and the 1.5x does give a 'pop' that makes targets easier to see against confused backgrounds, better than a 1x red dot type reflex sight.

If I was running a rail mounted red dot on top the 3x would be my option. Red dot for close up snap shooting with 3x for longer range.

H
gunhand

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 12:10:31 PM »

The first AUG-P I was issued had the 1.5 power optic with the "Black Doughnut of Death" ring reticle. After shooting a few hundred rounds through it, I was able to consistently engage man-sized targets out to 300 meters, which was what the rifle was truly designed for. When I had access to military pop-up target ranges, I could also "Kentucky windage" hits on a 700 meter target on an M-60 range.

That being said I've always thought the 1.5 power optic was the perfect set up for what the rifle was designed for. It was always designed to be a M.O.A. rifle, that's Minute Of Ambush. It's an extremely accurate rifle, but was never meant to be a sniper rifle.  Of course this is simply IMHO.
panzerbob01

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 09:17:29 PM »

I'm an Aug "newbie" with only 450 or so rnds thru my recently-acquired A3M1 - 1.5 OCD (stock A3M1 with the neo-classical old-style 1.5x tube/handle optic, with the "donut of death" circle w tiny black dot).

I have found the optic to be very easy and fast for target acquisition against most backgrounds and color-ranges, and very easy to lock onto a precise point that yields pretty consistent 1 - 1.5inch groups out at 80 - 100 yrds.  The AUG w 1.5x OCD is simply a fun blast to shoot!  And it looks waaaaaay COOL, IMO! Cheesy

It's the only "non-illuminated" rifle optic I have shot in the past 30+ years - my other optics experiences all being with versions of 1x red-dots (old ACOG, Aimpoint PRO, Aimpoint H1 4moa, EoTech EXPS-2, Mepro M-21, Mepro RDS, ITL-MARS) mounted on a variety of AR, Tavor, PS90, SIG-MPX, CZ Scorpion platforms).  It's not better, and certainly not worse then those red-dots - just DIFFERENT.

Frankly, I have no desire to swap the OCD optic out for anything else on the AUG.  It does just just fine when I compare it against any of those illuminated red-dot optics in terms of target acquisition and ability to actually hit what I'm aiming at. I'm not saying that I would in general like to swap it onto any of the other platforms in place of one of those illuminated sights, but I certainly don't feel handicapped by the OCD being non-illuminated. It works quite well on the AUG (as one should expect it to - being as it was designed to work on the AUG in combat conditions).

Just a newbie's 2c, for what little it may be worth! Wink
TBM900
^

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 08:42:45 PM »

Thinking on picking up an AUG soon, but cannot decide between the 1.5 or 3.0 factory optic. All things being equal, I prefer the 3.0....but I found a 1.5 on sale that is $400 cheaper.

Somebody please talk some sense into me.

In order to give any sort of worthwhile opinion.....
I would want to know what your intended use would be.

In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.
-Wilbur Wright
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length