Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2019, 01:19:27 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  DIY barrel blocks?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DIY barrel blocks?  (Read 166 times)
Andygold

« on: May 12, 2019, 08:38:04 PM »

Still waiting on my Surefire flash hider to arrive.  When it arrives, I want to be ready to install it.

I was going to buy some barrel blocks online, but everything I've looked at seems to have some people complaining about this and that.  Slippage, cracking, falling out of vice, etc.  A better product would be a barrel vice, but I can't justify the price of one, as I might only use it once or twice.

I was thinking of doing the following.  If you think that it's not a good idea, please let me know.  Or if you have modifications to the idea please do tell.

I was thinking of taking two 2x4 wooden blocks, clamping them in a vise, and drilling a hole between the two, along the seam, and parallel to it (hopefully that makes sense).  The hole would be of a diameter slightly larger than the diameter of the barrel. Then, I was thinking of lining the hole with some sort of sticky tape, such as hockey stick tape, or tennis racket tape.  The AUG barrel would also have a bit of this tape wrapped tightly around it too, before it was put into the blocks.

Does this sound like it might work?  Would tape even be necessary, or would the pressure of the wood  be enough to clamp the barrel for flash-hider torquing?

If you've got a better way, please post it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 02:45:49 PM by Andygold » Logged
Leonitus

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 06:46:23 AM »

Use hardwood blocks. I would drill the hole slightly undersize of the barrel.

Use a leather between the barrel and blocks
Andygold

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 10:57:07 AM »

Use hardwood blocks. I would drill the hole slightly undersize of the barrel.

Use a leather between the barrel and blocks

Thank you Leonitus.

With a smaller hole than the barrel's diameter, then the leather would be clamped against the barrel at 4 locations at the roughly 90º edges where the troughs begin, instead of deep within the hollows themselves.  Am I understanding this correctly?

What type/thickness leather do you suggest?  Textured and thin like a suede, or possibly non-textured glove leather. Or would I need a thicker leather.  I want to make sure I purchase the proper type and thickness.  For thicker leathers, one side is typically rough and the other is smooth.  Which side would best secure the barrel to keep it from spinning?  Or, am I overthinking the whole thing?  Obviously I want to get it done without marking up the outside of the barrel.
Leonitus

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 04:05:57 PM »

It has been quite a while, but I made a hardwood block set for an AR15 barrel. I used hickory because it’s what I had on hand. I believe I used one step smaller drill bit than the barrel’s diameter. I used two strips of leather, deer hide, I believe. They were two strips that were about 3/8 of an inch wide cut from a pair of old work gloves. The leather was there just to provide a more compressible friction for the barrel. It worked for my uses, I think I used it on nine or 10 barrels before one of the blocks cracked. The reason for drilling the hole in the blocks slightly smaller is the wood compresses and distorts and that creates a tight secure fit when clamped in a vise.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length