Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 19, 2019, 12:40:36 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  Suppressed Tavor Cleaning Pro-tips?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Suppressed Tavor Cleaning Pro-tips?  (Read 298 times)
MaverickNH

« on: May 12, 2019, 09:57:52 AM »

I ran ~800rd XM193 through my Tavor X95 at a 2-day SIG Defensive Rifle course with a Omega 300 suppressor attached and it got super dirty. I had no malfunctions, which is good, but as it got dirtier dummy rounds would not eject w/o first removing the magazine. That is, with dummy rounds mixed in among ammo, I couldnít rack the charging handle without dropping the magazine - probably poorly sized dummy rounds but they worked fine in otherís ARS. But thatís an aside to my cleaning question. Hereís what I do - let me know what might work better.

1. PMAGS in dishwasher
2. Drag a bore-snake through several times
3. Chamber brush on a rod with CLP - the caked crud in the barrel chamber doesnít come out well at all. Even with the barrel off, I have to scrape with a tool. Any tips here? I donít want to pull the barrel as I loose zero, but will if I have no better options.
4. Pull the bolt assembly and clean with patches, brushes and solvent
5. Pull the trigger pack, spray with gun-scrubber and ultrasonic clean in CLP, swab the innards with cotton swabs and blow off excess.
6. Run a nylon bottle brush around the insides to brush off loose grime, spray synthetic gun-scrubber inside and run the brush wrapped in cotton flannel around to wipe out crud.
MajorKong

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 11:06:12 AM »

What kind of gun scrubber are you using?  I know Birchwood Casey is popular, although I have not used it myself. 

+1 on the bottle brush. 
MaverickNH

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 06:10:17 PM »

What kind of gun scrubber are you using?  I know Birchwood Casey is popular, although I have not used it myself. 

+1 on the bottle brush. 

Yes, that Birchwood Casey works well - they used to make the one that chewed up plastic but all I see is the one thatís compatible with plastics (synthetics) now.
Halmbarte

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 12:34:25 PM »

The HK receiver square brushes work nicely for the inside of the receiver. As I recall a 20 gauge shotgun brush will work with the gas tube.

These guys make a nice tool for getting into the nooks and crannies: https://breech-tool.com/store

H
MaverickNH

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 07:39:04 AM »

The HK receiver square brushes work nicely for the inside of the receiver. As I recall a 20 gauge shotgun brush will work with the gas tube.

These guys make a nice tool for getting into the nooks and crannies: https://breech-tool.com/store

H

Thanks - iíll check those out.

I tried ultrasonic cleaning with 10% Ballistol but that did nothing for sooted magazines. A scrub brush in hot soapy water did the trick.

If Iím going to shoot suppressed Iíll have to take the Armorer course so I can detail strip and clean. That Gun Scrubbers stuff leaves a lot of crud that needs a wipe with CLP to clean off. The spray will be good to clean the CLP off surfaces that donít need lube as it just attracts crud.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 12:32:26 PM by MaverickNH » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length