Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2019, 01:14:54 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  AUG receiver movement while inside the stock?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: AUG receiver movement while inside the stock?  (Read 343 times)
kiddsf

« on: May 10, 2019, 12:17:26 AM »

While playing around/handling my A1 and A3, I noticed there are forward and backward movement to the receiver assembly while it is in the locked position inside the polymer stock.

The A1 seem to have more movement than the A3, but they both have it.
The lock latch itself is tight, and there is no right-left movement to the receiver, only forward and backward movement.
It seems like there is enough gap between the mouth of the polymer stock and the receiver allowing this movement.

Is this normal?
Is it mostly due to the polymer stock tolerance?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 12:22:17 AM by kiddsf » Logged
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 02:39:32 AM »

I can't say for others, but my M1 is rock solid in the stock with no play at all.
kiddsf

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 07:12:10 AM »

Yeah, the newer AUGs, the A3 guns by Sabre I have, seem to have no movement at all or extremely little.
However, I notice the A1 have about 1/32" movement.
It looks like the reason is due to the gap between the polymer stock 'mouth' area and the receiver 'stop ridge/plate'.

After some searching, it seems like it is not uncommon for the older guns to have this gap.
I've found more than a few A1, Green and Black, showing the gap between the receiver and stock.
I also found a video showing receiver movement while shooting full auto.
At least to me it seems looks like there's receiver movement while inside the stock when looking at the gap area.

I guess this is similar to the AR15 with the upper and lower receiver wobble.
Some has less wobble and some with more wobble.

Ex)
http://imageshack.com/i/pl1ys4q2j
https://youtu.be/WdGqF7DTa4g?t=109
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:48:16 AM by kiddsf » Logged
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 12:53:38 PM »

My MSAR had this “issue”...I ended up bedding the receiver to the stock.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:06:27 AM by thehun » Logged
THX1138

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 02:01:06 PM »

I think it's pretty common with the older Steyr Daimler Puch marked stocks. I have two and both have some play. If you install an old receiver into a modern Steyr Arms marked stock there probably won't be any play. If you try this don't be surprised if the A1 receiver doesn't slide right into the newer stock though, as some stocks need fitting to the receiver being installed.
kiddsf

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 10:02:32 PM »

Thanks for everyone's response.
I ended up putting a little piece of industrial strength velcro on the face of the 'hump' area on the A1 stock, to fill in the gap between the stock and receiver.
It completely eliminated all movement and it is rock solid now.
Leonitus

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 04:08:24 PM »

My A3 is tight, as in when I go to remove the action it probably takes 8 to 10 pounds of force to get it out of the receiver. Not quite as much going in. But it moves absolutely none when locked in place
kiddsf

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 05:54:54 PM »

Yeah, same with my A3.
After asking a few of my friends with the preban A1, it seems like it is normal for the A1 to have ~1/32" movement
CabbitOne
^

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 07:55:58 PM »

Mine vary between rock solid and having the aforementioned movement. Mixing and matching stocks and receivers can produce or alleviate this 'issue'.
Mine are all A3s
dushan
^

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 02:12:52 AM »

kiddsf - My new white NATO M1 with extended rail has a noticeable amount of movement left/right.

I sent it in to Steyr. Herbert said it was in spec and that they had seen far more movement in Austrian AUGs. He also said he tightened it up.

After I got it back it was noticeably more solid, till about 160 rounds, but now it's as loose as before.

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length