Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 08, 2020, 04:30:47 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  K&M Arms M17S 5.56 and .308
| | |-+  any chance of a longer hand guard coming any time soon?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: any chance of a longer hand guard coming any time soon?  (Read 1540 times)
MikeSmith
^

« on: April 26, 2019, 05:27:09 PM »

I followed the M17S for a while, then kinda forgot about it.  I was reminded about it recently and came back to see the latest.  My main question--has there been any indication that a longer hand guard is coming at some point?  It's one of the things I like about the MDR, but it looks like it would be a bit more involved with this one because it's all one piece instead of modular.
Air-cooled

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 11:12:28 AM »

If a longer hand guard were placed, I think you'd need to use the longer barreled version, and by then you've defeated the compact purpose of the Bullpup. Might as well just get an AR. This is what it would look like:

* 308-6.jpg (77.05 KB, 1366x546 - viewed 303 times.)
ddavis

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 08:58:19 AM »

When I first got my M17s I wrote down a couple things that I felt would be an improvement so I wouldn't just "get used to it" and forget.  Mine is the 16" version.  You could easily add 2" to the forend, make the slots M-Lok compatible, and add a built in QD socket/hole in the front of the forend.  These 3 things would help immensely in getting the rifle set up properly with a 2 point sling and light.  The M-lok and built in QD socket have been pretty standard on any decent AR handguard for years now, seems like it would be a simple upgrade.  Also, once you mount a flashlight there really isn't much space to hold the gun anymore and VFG/AFG's aren't my thing.

-Dan
MikeSmith
^

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 12:32:38 PM »

If a longer hand guard were placed, I think you'd need to use the longer barreled version, and by then you've defeated the compact purpose of the Bullpup. Might as well just get an AR. This is what it would look like:

I second everything ddavis said.  I'm talking about keeping the 16" barrel and extending the hand guard to stop right at the end of the barrel, if you don't want any direct exposure to muzzle blast.  Of course even a little longer would be nice if you want to cover a little bit of a suppressor, but I know a lot of people wouldn't like that.

My main hang up with the various bullpups is figuring out how to mount a light and get a good comfortable grip with the support hand.  I think if you get a few more inches in front, especially if it's shorter top to bottom like you show in your image, it would work very well for mounting a light or activation switch at 12:00 and it gives you the option of a C clamp or modified C clamp grip, with or without a VFG/AFG to support depending on preference.

I just find it really comfortable on an AR to  set it up like that.  The thumb can hook over the top to activate as needed, and otherwise it can rest on the 10-11ish surface pointed forward.  It leaves me with no tension in all the joints (insert a bunch of Travis Haley big word terminology here).

I also really like the idea of mounting nothing on the sides, only on top and bottom--the rifle can lay on either side without anything protruding, etc.

Obviously if you go with the longer barrel and an even longer hand guard it gives you even more options, which would be really valuable once you start adding IR lasers/illuminators,etc.  The best setup I've been able to envision on paper is to combine the MAWL with the light ahead of it at 12:00, but that needs some rail space to work right.

If it's going to be an add-on or aftermarket option, I imagine something that attaches to the top rail and/or side/bottom rail areas could provide enough rigidity to suffice for the purposes I'm thinking about.
Box

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 08:34:21 PM »

These are good ideas.

How responsive is this company to user feedback?
Tinglyfeet9

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 04:20:03 PM »

Very, Ken will take pretty much all calls and emails.  He knows he needs more handguard lengths and Mlok among other things.  But they are a small shop and don't have the resources to do a full redesign on a dime like some companies do.  Making those improvements (and others) in the next few years I know is planned, but beyond that I don't think there's much we can do except supporting the company and providing consistent feedback.
xdmikey

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 11:05:51 AM »

^ I second the above comment. Ken is fantastic when it comes to customer service!^ Small shops generally are.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length