Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 18, 2019, 11:36:53 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  RDB accuracy change each time it had been field stripped
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RDB accuracy change each time it had been field stripped  (Read 555 times)
waffenmeister

« on: April 17, 2019, 08:14:11 AM »

Grin Friends in KelTec (in grave sorrow), I have issue which seems to have no obvious reasons, but...

After about 850 shots, my rifle began to change groups each time I field strip it.
There is no certain system in this but each time you pull the retaining pins, you have the unpredictable group.
Ammo is the same but bullets fly with 1'' grouping or strictly 3.5'' grouping.
I have tested this 20 times and had found no system in how should I put my rifle together in order to guarantee that group is 1''.

Any recommendations?

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:32:19 AM by waffenmeister » Logged
waffenmeister

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 05:31:33 AM »

Unfortunately groping is a total loss now(((( No field stripping helps to restore it. Cleaning does not help.
whiskey91lima

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 10:35:51 AM »

How do you do your accuracy testing? A single 3-shot group? 5-shot group? Five 5-shot groups and take the average? If the POI doesn't shift, I bet that you just aren't shooting enough groups and the 3.5" groups are a regression to the mean.
waffenmeister

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 04:58:11 AM »

5 shot groups at paper with 3'' circles. 50 yards.
Jomo2019
New Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 09:48:51 AM »

The barrel assembly is bolted to the picatinny rail.  The pins for the stock have no function in retaining accuracy.  It sounds like your rail is loose.  This has been reported with some early rifles.  Check that the rail is as close to zeroed to the barrel as you can be it.  Use blue loctite to secure the screws.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:20:44 AM by Jomo2019 » Logged
waffenmeister

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 05:56:10 AM »

Rail was he very first thing to check. I could not move any bolt. They are factory tighten with the fixating agent

I have noticed that sometimes assembly is easy and sometimes, there is a spring tension which requires to push the assembly in order to get in line with the retaining pins.
Jomo2019
New Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 10:10:39 AM »

This is common.  Every Kel Tec I own has this.  The pins, as previously stated, have nothing to do with rifle accuracy.  On all three Kel Tech bullpups, the picatinny rail is bolted to the barrel.  The only way for you to have changing accuracy/wandering zero is for the rail to be loose on the barrel mounts or the optic/sights to be loose on the rail.  As long as you aren't removing the optic/sights when you are cleaning the gun and the rail is secure, you should not have a wandering zero.  The only remaining option is a bad/damaged barrel crown throwing your shots off, which would require the gun to go back to Kel Tec for repair.
lee1000

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 05:21:51 PM »

What chemicals are you using to clean it?
waffenmeister

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 03:26:07 AM »

I clean bore after 50-100shots session with mix of kerosine + skipidar (1%) and vaseline oil (3%). Then dry it with wipes till no residue remains on them.
After 300 let it soak with Ballistol for 1hr then clean it with nylon and then dry with wipes. After that I clean again with Gunex. And afterwards I clean it again with wipes till dry.

Moving parts (rails, axes and springs) are using the thin layer of Gunex as lubrication media.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length