Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2019, 10:40:16 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Getting Started...
| |-+  Member Introductions
| | |-+  New to the forum and bullpups
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New to the forum and bullpups  (Read 188 times)
Entropypure
New Posting Member

« on: April 06, 2019, 02:39:24 PM »

Hello all.

Not new to guns, but want my next firearm to be a bullpup. Or two. Currently torn between the MDR 308 the. Getting a conversion kit for 5.56. A tavor 7 or x95 and a MDR. Or just getting tavors. Iíll keep doing research.
whiskey91lima

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 03:35:18 PM »

Hello all.

Not new to guns, but want my next firearm to be a bullpup. Or two. Currently torn between the MDR 308 the. Getting a conversion kit for 5.56. A tavor 7 or x95 and a MDR. Or just getting tavors. Iíll keep doing research.

The MDR 308 is available now direct from Desert Tech. It has been plagued with reliability issues but they should be solved in new guns. The 5.56 conversion kit is not currently available, and it is unknown when they will be available. Tavors are great guns but they aren't very accurate. IWI is working on making the Tavor 7 1.5 MOA with match ammo. The release date is unknown but expected to be sometime 2019.

The Keltec RFB and RDB are both great rifles but not match rifles. The K&M M17s is oftly forgotten but considered to be a good quality 308 bullpup.

If you're into precision guns, the Desert Tech SRS/HTI family of bolt guns are fantastic rifles; just expensive. Though with the new tooling, DT has dropped the price significantly for the SRS-A2 and HTI rifles. You may be able to find SRS-A1 rifles on deep discount.

Welcome to the club.
JesseJames38

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 08:08:01 PM »

Yeah. what Whiskey said is spot on for the MDR.  I have one and it has issues.  Even before taking it out to the range to go shooting there was broken parts in the MDR, or not assembled right. On the other hand they just announced all new .308 MDR shipping are coming equipped with the new 2019 gas valve and the wider extractor.   Being that it was just announced last week I doubt any of them are available yet. So no matter where you get one right now its going to have the old extractor, and maybe the 2018 6 pos gas valve. If you get a MDR its almost a roll of the dice. There are some out there that work out great. Others have issues with require being sent back to DT multiple times.  First step when bring a MDR to the range is to bring a sturdy cleaning rod with you incase of a stuck casing.

To be honest, even with the issues mine currently has, I still enjoy the rifle. Some people say its recoil heavy. In my experience I didn't find the recoil to be bad. That is just my opinion, I don't see it any worse then my .308 Ma-ten with a DPMS bolt and barrel. And I put a slash heavy buffer in that rifle to help with the recoil. I will say that the recoil is more sharp/quick but isn't any harsher. If you was to ask me if I would buy the rifle all over again knowing what I know now. I would say wait another month or two. I think once the bigger extractor is in place that will fix most of the issues with the MDR. Then I feel its down to one major hurdle that I have seen other people here have. And that is cracked frame rails at the back of the rifle where the rear push pin is.

If your using the rifle just for shooting at the range for a cool toy, or doing some hunting of non dangerous type animals, and don't mind tweaking around with the firearm then I think there is a small risk.  If you plan on using the rifle for any type of personal deference, or dangerous game animals, or dislike tweaking or playing around with it to see what it likes and don't like, then defiantly pass on this rifle for more then 6 months and then check back.  For the people who buy the MDR latter on in life, I hope that DT still has the ability to buy the 2018 gas valve for the smaller gas ports

Always feel free to ask questions in the MDR sub forum. There are plenty of people that will be happy to answer some questions you may have. In fact a lot of people have posted some DIY mods to the rifle that I wished where pinned up for people who join latter in life.  If your wondering about anything or would like to see photos of something in particular about the MDR your welcome to send me a PM

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length