Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 03, 2014, 02:55:12 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News: The 3rd Annual  BULLPUP CONVENTION                                              27 - 28 September, 2014                               Rockcastle Shooting Center, Park City, KY                              Saturday Manufacturers Showcase and Live Shoot                                Sunday The Bullpup Challenge                              See you there!!                

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
Brownells . . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . . . . . . . FFL123.com . . . carhartt . . . K & M Arms
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Shotguns
| |-+  Bullpup Unlimited
| | |-+  Bullpup Unlimited 870 review
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Bullpup Unlimited 870 review  (Read 14709 times)
TDog

« on: November 29, 2012, 05:10:34 PM »

Hello all.  Long time lurker, brand new member here!  I figured I'd throw in my two cents on Bullpup Unlimited's stock since this is the place where I first found out about it.  And just for complete transparency, I am not affiliated with, employed by, related to, or beholden to Bullpup Unlimited in any way.  I just love bullpups and I love shotguns, so this was a great event for me! Grin

FIRST IMPRESSION

Upon opening the box, the kit seemed a little flimsy.  I was worried that it would warp or bend or even break, but as subsequent events showed me, these concerns were ill-founded.

ASSEMBLY

Assembly was a little difficult at first.  My kit was minus a few necessary screws and one of the Allen wrenches, but it was my good fortune that I have a hardware store across the street from me.  Ten minutes later I had the necessary screws.  The Allen wrench was easy enough to find since I have about fifteen billion of them lying around from all the other kits, scopes, accessories, and other gee gaws that came with free Allen wrenches.  

The slide release button was too large, but since I had been warned about that in a mass e-mail sent out to all preorders, it did not catch me by surprise.  

Once I had all the required parts, assembly was easy and took about half an hour.  Keeping the parts together while screwing things together can be a little difficult, but nothing you can't do alone.  

Once assembled, the gun feels rock solid and looks bad-@$$!

But as mom always told me, looks aren't everything.

SECOND IMPRESSIONS

After assembly, I racked the slide and dry fired it a few times to test its fit and function.  

The slide worked well and didn't hang up at all.  It's obviously not as smooth as an unmodified 870, but just barely.  I hardly noticed the difference.

The trigger is not as bad as some bullpup triggers, like the Bushmaster M17s, for example. It obviously is a little mushier than an unmodified 870 trigger, but I found its function to be more than acceptable.  

Balance was great.

And the side-mounted rails are positioned perfectly for lights or lasers if you are so inclined to put those on (I put on a light and am thinking about putting on a laser for reasons I will explain below).

So it not only looks good, but feels good and works well to boot.

Now on to the range.

RANGE REPORT

The gun I put into the kit was a Remington 870 Tac Desert Recon with an 18" barrel and 2-round factory extension.  

Ammunition used as a mixture of Fiocchi, Federal, and Winchester.  All of them were 2 3/4" and all were buckshot.  The Federal was low recoil, the others were regular loads.  I brought a total of 60 rounds to the range.

I didn't bring a camera, so unfortunately there are no pictures.  Sad

My conclusion after firing the gun for about 40 rounds (three other friends also tried it on for size): it's a great conversion kit.

Recoil was noticeably reduced.  Full power loads felt like low-recoil loads and the low-recoil rounds felt like nothing.  

I had one short-stroke during the entire time, so remember: really work that slide.  Don't be scared to pump it like a regular shotgun.  Do that and you'll be fine.  Treat it with kid gloves and you'll get hung up like I did.  I told my friends to keep that in mind and none of them had any problems.

Speed was not an issue.  I tend to fire slow and steady, but one of my friends decided to see how fast it could go.  He loaded up five rounds of Federal 00-buckshot and emptied it in about three or so seconds (I didn't bring a timer or anything like that).  

The only issue was that the gun tends to shoot VERY LOW.  So if you have a scope or red dot on it, you're going to have to crank that sucker as far as it'll go to get it sighted in properly.  My red dot was not able to compensate for the difference between my point of aim and the actual point of impact, but it's a cheapo $49 red dot I bought at a show, so I wasn't too concerned about that.

The MagPul MBUS sites I had on it were of no help on elevation, but did keep my shots centered.  So if you find yourself with nothing but iron sights and some screaming meth head is coming at you with a meat cleaver, aim for his head and you'll hit him in the chest.   A laser mounted on the side and zeroed in would probably help rectify this problem.

After forty rounds, I felt no soreness in my shoulder at all.  Normally I would feel it for at least an hour or so, but this time there was nothing.

CONCLUSION

It's worth the money.  Putting it together can get a little frustrating at times, so if you're not mechanically-inclined, have a friend who is put it together for you.  The kit shoots low, so keep that in mind when sighting in any scope or red dot.   The kit itself adds a negligible amount of weight that is more than offset by the better balance it imparts and the reduced felt recoil it offers.

In conclusion, this kit is like having a hot super model secret agent for a wife: she can shoot and looks damned good doing it. Grin  

I highly recommend it.  TDog says check it out.

NOTE:  Edited to correct some errors and typos. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:15:04 AM by TDog » Logged
Sgt_P
Administrator
Bullpup Fanatic

SEMPER FIDELIS

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:47:11 PM »

Great post!

Thorough, but points off for missing pictures!!   Grin

Welcome to BullpupForum.com!

"Retreat, hell we just got here!" 
Capt L Williams, USMC, WWI (Belleau Wood)
TDog

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 12:17:47 AM »

Next time I will post pictures.  I promise! Smiley

And something else I just remembered: nothing shook loose or came off after my trip to the range.  The MagPul MBUS sites and my red dot both remained on as tightly after as they did before.  Normally having a plastic rail seems to cause metal clamps to come loose (a problem I have on my SU-16), but not on this kit.  Everything remained in place.
Sgt_P
Administrator
Bullpup Fanatic

SEMPER FIDELIS

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 10:22:53 AM »

You mentioned the reduced recoil.

The Bullpup Unlimited stock connects solidly with the receiver, and has the Remington gel butt-pad.  But also, the Bullpup design leads to better balance, with less muzzle rise, that is perceived as less recoil.

Cool

gunhand

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 11:51:07 AM »

T Dog, great review, and about spot on with my experience. In reference to the shooting low, it's like an AR-15, the sight plane is about the barrel, so up close, you will shoot lower. I have a set Troy industries BUIS that should arrive here today.

I put a TLR-1 right on the lower rail just in front of my vertical foregrip. When I get the sights installed, I'll post another photo.
Hayuya

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 12:37:23 AM »

Mine doesn't shoot low!  This is a 5-shot group of Federal LE13300 8-pellet 00 buck FC at 7 yards.  Optic was a Burris Fast Fire II I took off my Vepr-12 without re-sighting.  I put 50 rounds of bird shot and 10 rounds of buck.  Other than the trigger, I really like it. 

* image.jpg (1746.81 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 1851 times.)
Sgt_P
Administrator
Bullpup Fanatic

SEMPER FIDELIS

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 12:56:21 AM »

Nice group!

Try a little powdered graphite (for key locks) in the trigger area.  The new plastic might be rubbing a bit and until it's well worked in, the graphite might help!

Hayuya

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 01:05:58 AM »

Thanks! I might need to do that.  The pull weight is not bad, but I can feel the plastic on plastic drag which degrades the trigger feel. 
TDog

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 03:53:46 AM »

Hayuya,

It might have been my cheapo red dot giving me such bad results.  I'm taking it out tomorrow for some more shooting, but with a better red dot this time.  Hopefully that will make a difference.
dntam

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 01:02:52 PM »

I dont think you need much for sights for this seteup.  With the amount of flexing in the topcover I dont expect to shoot past 25 yds with 00 buck.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 02:34:15 PM by dntam » Logged
TDog

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 01:21:06 AM »

UPDATE:  Shooting REALLY low, as it turns out, was the fault of the cheapo red dot I had.  A new red dot has been put on and it works just fine.  Mind you, I still had to jack the sucker all the way up, but at least now it hits where I'm aiming!

The iron sights still don't work all that great, so I may just try to find some way to mount a bead sight onto the top rail. 

My latest trip to the range saw another fifty rounds of full power Federal 00-buckshot through it.  My biggest complaint: the Remington Extended Tactical Choke is an accident waiting to happen.  It loosens after about ten shots and one of these days I know I'm going to see it flying downrange because I forgot to re-tighten it.

The bullpup kit, on the other hand, performed flawlessly.  Nothing bent, warped, shook loose, came off, broke, or otherwise got screwed up.  I'm thinking of replacing the grip with a Hogue.  It's not necessary, but it's like putting white walls on your car - if you can make it nicer, why not? Cool
Sgt_P
Administrator
Bullpup Fanatic

SEMPER FIDELIS

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 06:06:40 AM »

Nice to hear your stock is performing well TDog! 

Sorry about the other auxillary items giving you headaches.

BTW, replacing the pistol grip is just like an AR.  Watch that little spring and detent that are under the grip that push on the safety!

gunhand

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 11:51:24 AM »

dntam, you shouldn't expect ANY shotgun to put truly effective 00Buck shot on a traget past 25 yards. That is pretty much the max effective range of the ammo. Yes, you can hit the target, but the chances of it being truly effective beyond 25 yards is slim.
dntam

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 11:45:49 PM »

dntam, you shouldn't expect ANY shotgun to put truly effective 00Buck shot on a traget past 25 yards. That is pretty much the max effective range of the ammo. Yes, you can hit the target, but the chances of it being truly effective beyond 25 yards is slim.

I had a 18 in.  vang comp barrel and a 19 in  barrel with a pattern master choke. Both had nice tight 00 buck patterns out out to about 40 yds. Using Federal Buckshot with the flite control cup also helps a lot also in extending the maximum useable range in cylinder bore or IC 18 in barrels.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:17:50 AM by dntam » Logged
boyerbl

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 11:29:53 PM »

Arriving home I had a note from the postman that there was a postage due on a letter. All the postage due note said was "bullpup". Has anyone received a envelope from Bullpup Unlimited?

I will pick up the package tommrow and post the contents.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:41:31 PM by boyerbl » Logged
Sgt_P
Administrator
Bullpup Fanatic

SEMPER FIDELIS

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 12:35:07 AM »

Arriving home I had a note from the postman that there was a postage due on a letter. All the postage due note said was "bullpup". Has anyone received a envelope from Bullpup Unlimited?

I will pick up the package tommrow and post the contents.

I think that is the pump release "ball".  For some models the ball was a little too tall.  So JJ had new ones made to be friendlier to all models.

But if your current one is working, it's not necessary.

I could be wrong, but I think that is probably what it is...

gunhand

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 12:45:46 PM »

I got mine yesterday, haven't had a chance to install it yet.
dntam

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »

Were they all sent Postage due ?
gunhand

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 12:59:10 PM »

Not mine, postman delivered with no problems.
bullpup45

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 02:12:50 PM »

They were all checked at the post office and they told me how much postage  none should have postage due, if for some reason they say that do not accept and let me know.
jj
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length