Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2019, 12:23:07 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  does anybody make a top rail extension that goes forward? / 12:00 light mount
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: does anybody make a top rail extension that goes forward? / 12:00 light mount  (Read 398 times)
MikeSmith
^

« on: March 22, 2019, 09:44:58 PM »

One thing that has always bugged me about the Tavor/X95 is how tall they are in the hand guard section.  For an AR-15 I really like using a slim rail and mounting a light at 12:00 for thumb activation--a couple new options intended for this are coming on the market from Inforce and OWL, and OWL is also making special rails with drop-down sections that make it even more comfortable.

One thing I've seen people do to get a more comfortable C-clamp style grip is to slide the rail covers forward, like this:

That gives you a place to put your thumb that's much lower than the top rail.  So I was wondering if somebody has/could make something like this:

But have it drop down lower in front of the existing rail, to give a place to mount an Inforce WML, Surefire X300, etc. or one of these other lights that would work well at 12:00.  I've seen what Midwest and Manticore offer and it doesn't accomplish what I'm talking about.  For the SAR, imagine if the RPM had a flat top with rails instead of the angled surfaces:

I admit it looks nice, but it doesn't give me what I'd want.

Any thoughts?  For me this has always been the biggest hangup I have when thinking about buying either an SAR or X95, and it's one of the reasons I've been excited about the MDR for so long--whatever they still need to improve, at least they got the hand guard right.
panzerbob01

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 04:23:04 AM »

That drop-down rail is EXACTLY what I'm looking for to use on both my X95 and my PS90!  I would sooooo love to get a light mounted at the 12 o'clock and below the sight-line on both. Maybe someone would take up making something....  I have considered building such a lowered extension rail by simply bolting an aluminum bar piece onto a low-rise QD mount I have in the drawer, and attach a block beneath the bar, and attach a section of rail to that block for the lowered rail for the light...

Sort of:      bar bar bar bar bar bar
                 QD QD QD QD     block
            Gun gun gun gun:    block; lightlightlightlight
             gun gun gun gun:    railrailrailrailrail
            barrel barrel barrel barrel barrel barrel barrel
             gun gun gun gun:

It wouldn't be difficult to make something like this by the "brute-force" home-shop approach I outlined above, but it sure would look nicer if simply cut from a piece of Aluminum with the appropriate rail-segments and clamps.  Grin

MikeSmith
^

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 12:53:28 PM »

That drop-down rail is EXACTLY what I'm looking for to use on both my X95 and my PS90!  I would sooooo love to get a light mounted at the 12 o'clock and below the sight-line on both. Maybe someone would take up making something....  I have considered building such a lowered extension rail by simply bolting an aluminum bar piece onto a low-rise QD mount I have in the drawer, and attach a block beneath the bar, and attach a section of rail to that block for the lowered rail for the light...

Sort of:      bar bar bar bar bar bar
                 QD QD QD QD     block
            Gun gun gun gun:    block; lightlightlightlight
             gun gun gun gun:    railrailrailrailrail
            barrel barrel barrel barrel barrel barrel barrel
             gun gun gun gun:

It wouldn't be difficult to make something like this by the "brute-force" home-shop approach I outlined above, but it sure would look nicer if simply cut from a piece of Aluminum with the appropriate rail-segments and clamps.  Grin

Yeah, you've got the same idea.  I think it would be pretty easy to attach it to the first few sections of the top rail--whether it would need more support than that would have to be tested, but there are options if somebody wanted to get more sophisticated. 

Imagine if it wasn't just a rail piece but a full extension of the hand guard that mounted to some combination of the top, side, and bottom rails, just slid on from the front without removing anything but the rail covers, and extended out to stop just before the beginning of the threads on the barrel.  If it's just for a light and a place to put the hand then maybe polymer would be sufficient...?

I'm really surprised nobody has done anything like that yet--it seems like the primary deficiency of what otherwise seems to be a pretty good gun.
MikeSmith
^

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 01:40:13 PM »

Wow, this board has really slowed down compared to a few years ago!  No comments from any manufacturers?  @GearHead?  Manticore?  Midwest?  Anybody?

Huh?
kingof9x

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 07:31:08 PM »

Everyone has moved to instagram (eye roll)
MikeSmith
^

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 12:22:20 PM »

Everyone has moved to instagram (eye roll)

Ha!  I still don't see the appeal of it, terrible user experience if you ask me.

And they are owned by FB--we need to dump the big social media platforms, not join them!

But back to the topic--I played with an X95 at my local store the other day.  Sliding the panels forward actually feels pretty good--feels solid, no noticeable wiggle, and much more comfortable place to grip, especially if you want to put your thumb on top.  If the top gap could be filled in with enough rail space to mount a flashlight it would really resolve a lot of the issues I have with mounting any other way.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length