Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 24, 2019, 12:19:00 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Precision/Long Range Bullpups (Heavy Calibers)
| |-+  St George Arms Leader 50 A1
| | |-+  leader 50a1=junk
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: leader 50a1=junk  (Read 1367 times)
rsopha
New Posting Member

« on: March 19, 2019, 03:21:31 PM »

I have serial number 22 of this series of junk. I purchased this off of gunbroker from a fellow with the user name forest jump, which ended up being charles from st george arms selling from TN, while his ffl lists him in AZ. Already turned him in to the atf for that. Having been told that my first  rifle was complete and ready to ship in april of 2017 I sent the remainder of the amount due. Charles is in full possession of the full amount due for the rifle. two years has gone by and I still have not received it.

On to the one which I have received. I have put 60 rds through this thing. after many light primer strikes and failure to ejects I stopped trying. I contacted st george arms about my issues. after 2 months they finally emailed me the directions on how to field strip this scrap heap. I took the weapon to a certified master gunsmith and had him look at it to see if I was missing something. I was, the gun was firing from incomplete lock up. Due to the bolt cam being cut incorrectly the bolt was out of time. this has caused a series of issues with the gun. There are metal shavings all over and the pin that the cam rides on is nearly destroyed.

This gun was supposed to ship with a muzzle brake and magazine. It shipped with neither. It did include a nice little note that stated firing with out a brake would void my warranty. So I went out and found a muzzle brake that would fit and put it on. took to the range and the issues began.

St george arms has stated that I voided my warranty. I fired only mil surplus ammo and American eagle ammo when I was having issues with fail to eject and light primer strikes. after my issues I noticed that the primers were lightly hit so I did load up some of my own which are lower than mil spec and set the primer closer to the base of the case to see if that was the issue. light strikes again.  I measured the firing pin and big surprise its out of spec. Nothing I did to the rifle could have caused a firing pin to be to short or the cam on the bolt to be cut wrong.

I have notified st George arms and any one associated with them and given them time to respond.  Should they choose not to respond I will post all the emails back and forth here for every one to see what kind of people they are.

Ryan
Hebrew Hammer

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 04:06:36 PM »

One word when it comes to a 50 cal  Barrett
rsopha
New Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 04:18:21 PM »

I actually prefer My M2. I have a 107 and an 82. The 107 of the two is much easier on the shooter. The leader wasn't too bad shooting. The concerns of firing out of full lock up and loosing part of my face take the fun out of it though.
rsopha
New Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 02:43:07 PM »

Unfortunately this has progressed to the point of a legal battle. The rifle I did receive was inspected by a master gunsmith and the chamber was .151 to deep. The bolt closed and locked up with slop on a no go gauge. The fact that it was sent out to me with a chamber cut too deep is quite ridiculous, not to mention unsafe.
bpguy

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 09:04:27 PM »

Unfortunately this has progressed to the point of a legal battle. The rifle I did receive was inspected by a master gunsmith and the chamber was .151 to deep. The bolt closed and locked up with slop on a no go gauge. The fact that it was sent out to me with a chamber cut too deep is quite ridiculous, not to mention unsafe.
WOW .151 too deep?  Are you sure?  That is 5/32 of an inch.  If it was that far off I do not know how the rifle would even fire as I am sure the protrusion of the firing pin is not that much or it would have blown up.  The first thing I would do is send that thing back to the manufacture to get fixed.  Have you sent it back already for warranty repair?  One more question on that no/go gage that was used, do you know what the distance was marked on the gage because there are different gage lengths used for this beast and they may be using a different one than you are using.

Just some info if you did not already know on the 50 BMG
    GO: Corresponds to the minimum chamber dimensions. If a rifle closes on a GO gauge, the chamber will accept ammunition that is made to SAAMI’s maximum specifications. The GO gauge is essential for checking a newly-reamed chamber in order to ensure a tight, accurate and safe chamber that will accept SAAMI maximum ammo. Although the GO gauge is necessary for a gunsmith or armorer, it usually has fewer applications for the collector or surplus firearms purchaser.
    NO-GO: Corresponds to the maximum headspace Forster recommends for gunsmiths chambering new, bolt action rifles. This is NOT a SAAMI-maximum measurement. If a rifle closes on a NO-GO gauge, it may still be within SAAMI specifications or it may have excessive headspace. To determine if there is excessive headspace, the chamber should then be checked with a FIELD gauge. The NO-GO gauge is a valuable tool for checking a newly-reamed chamber in order to ensure a tight and accurate chamber.
    FIELD: Corresponds to the longest safe headspace. If a rifle closes on a FIELD gauge, its chamber is dangerously close to, or longer than, SAAMI’s specified maximum chamber size. If chamber headspace is excessive, the gun should be taken out of service until it has been inspected and repaired by a competent gunsmith. FIELD gauges are slightly shorter than the SAAMI maximum in order to give a small safety margin.

There is also one for the machine gun and they might be using something similar to that also but .151?  I cant seeing it even firing at all.  Send that sucker back and let us know what you get back after getting it fixed.
bpguy

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 12:40:22 PM »

Hey rsopha, what was the outcome on sending it back?  What did they say was wrong with it and did it get fixed?
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length