Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2019, 05:57:50 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  Lightweight bullpup carbine for one-armed shooter...
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lightweight bullpup carbine for one-armed shooter...  (Read 607 times)
Brabus55

« on: March 10, 2019, 12:36:00 PM »

Hello all!

I hope this finds everyone on the forum well and that youíre all having a great weekend so far!. As the subject header implies I lost the use of my left arm in a motorcycle accident and am looking for an ultra-lightweight bullpup. I currently own both a 5.56 16.5Ē X95 and a PS90. I absolutely LOVE my X95 and it is very much my ďgo to gunĒ, but I wish it were a little bit lighter. I like the PS90 as well, but Iím not sure I have enough faith in the 5.7x28 for the PS90 to be my SHTF weapon. I know the Kel-Tec RDB is a little lighter and I actually prefer the slimmer grip of the RDB, but I have to think that the X95 is the better, more reliable rifle.

My current plan is that instead of having a few rifles in a small collection, Iíd rather invest my money into one ďidealĒ rifle. Im leaning towards an ďounces and gramsĒ strategy and maybe getting the 13Ē 5.56 SBR conversion, especially as itís my understanding that a 13Ē .300 BO barrel isnít happening anytime soon if ever. I called IWI in Harrisburg and the gentleman I spoke with stated that they had no plans for making a .300 SBR X95. For what itís worth, if I do decide on the 5.56 SBR Iíll switch to Hornadyís ďBlackĒ ammo in 75 grains.

Assuming I go the 5.56 SBR route I may, (If itís possible) remove the left, right and bottom Picatinny rails as Iím not big on a bunch of accessories and I feel that I really only need a top rail for a red dot sight. Again, ďounces and gramsĒ strategy. Iím sure a lightweight fluted barrel isnít ever happening, but are there any other ideas to drop a little weight?  Any ideas or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated!

Best regards,
                                                Matt
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 01:41:35 PM »

Matt,
I'm sorry to hear of your issue. Alas, I don't have the answer for you. I am interested in hearing what other's have done to lighten the X95. I don't think there's much that can be done, but the guys here are often very clever and I think we might hear some good stuff.

Take heart in the design though. As you know, it's very easy to shoot with one arm as it is.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
Zeiram3f

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 04:39:43 PM »

Iím sorry to hear about your situation as well.
I own a PS90 with a short barrel and welded can, as well as a 308 MDR. Iíve handled the X95 but wasnít a huge fan of it and am uncertain about one arming it.

Being a small guy, Iíve toyed around with the idea of seeing how long I could hold a weapon one handed... with the MDR, itís just fun to see how long I can hold it up with one arm, which isnít long at all. The PS90 however is rather easy to do this. If youíre trying to save as much weight as possible, Iíd go the route of the PS90 and either go with an SBR, or get a shorter barrel and weld a can on to keep it in legal length. The shorter the rifle, the less torque you have imparted on your arm/hand and thus the less fatigue you have to deal with. Bullpup designs will help with the weight balance as well. 50 rounds ensures youíre less likely to require a reload, and the handguard design ensures itís less likely to roll in your hand.

Having hunted with mine, with just the 40gr max stuff, I can say that itís certainly suitable for shtf scenarios and the sound channels in the two deer I killed with it... ehhh they were certainly effective, but unusual. Unless youíre planning on taking out a grizzly or moose in a single shot, I think the PS90 is the route to go. And if money isnít a factor thereís plenty of ways to build a very compact, lightweight model. Pm me for details if youíre interested in whipping up a customized lightweight.

Oh and although ammo isnít as available as 556 and 9mm, you can stuff about 600 rounds in a backpack without pause as the ammunition is so compact.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 05:32:39 PM »

As much as I love my Tavor, AUG, and RFB, one thing going for them that isn't ideal is weight.  Though they are compact, they still have some concentrated mass.  For a person wanting some really lightweight action in a rifle caliber firearm in your situation, I'd be tempted to go with an AR pistol. 

An 11.5" AR still packs a lot of ballistic efficiency, and you can get some really lightweight components to finish it off with a simple pistol brace like the Shockwave or another minimalistic style.  A pistol build in the 4-5 pound range is easily achieved and at a reasonable price.

Obviously not trying to steer you away from a bullpup, as I'm also a bullpup fan.  Just a thought on another option.  I have an 11.5" AR build and it works quite well.
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 06:29:57 PM »

a little more info on your injury.  Is your left arm totally out of commission or are you able to use it as a support for under the front of the x-95?

If totally out - then I would go with TNC suggestion with a tail hook if you wanted to go 5.56. 

I would also see what kind of range you are looking at engaging at?  If under 200 ft why not look at something like a scorpion pistol with a tailhook.  A 147 gr HP can do a lot of hurt and still be quit accurate at 200 ft and would surely be lighter than an x-95.  Or even a berretta storm  in 40.  I have both and either one can be easily handled with one hand.

Close range - lever action 12 gauge --- think of chuck conners in the rifleman :-)

If you are able to swing your arm up and under for some support - then bullpup all the way

TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 10:10:18 PM »

sp, on the brace issue with an AR15 pistol, I've never used mine with the brace wrap.  Even before the "shouldering" issue was relaxed, I still used my pistol with a left-hand steady and my nose on the charging handle.  It was very effective.

You're right on more information being helpful.  The real benefit of the AR pistol is its ability to be really light.  In the length department it's pretty much a wash.  Still, one has to admit that a potentially 4 pound AR can be a benefit.
panzerbob01

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 11:43:37 PM »

FWIW, I would really consider the PS90 - it's extremely handy and, based on just a little recent experience I've had with mine, quite easy, even in its stock "rifle" configuration, to shoot well and pretty accurately.  While the ammo is costlier then 223 /5.56 or 9mm, if one considers it important to have a "SHTF" weapon, a PS90 will provide a useful reach, good accuracy, very easy handling, small ammo, and that simply awesome 50-rnd mag which doesn't stick out anywhere!  Make the -90 an SBR, put a reasonable optic on it (Aimpoint H2 on mine) and it's pretty hard to beat for being effective yet tiny, so great in a bag, in a vehicle, or in a building.  I'm a Tavor fanboy after just a little experience with a SAR and an X95, but I would seriously consider using my PS90 - even "uncut" - as my SHTF gun.

But a really good alternative, IMO, would be a braced CZ Scorpion 9mm... Even better one-handing, great shooters and quite accurate (again, from my very modest recent experience with a scorp with SB3 folding brace). I appreciate its modest heft - helps my old hands keep it straight and handle the minimal recoil. It would definitely be a great close-in weapon, and useful out to 75 - maybe 100 yrds with a nice optic, and some good, heavier ammo. (I do OK with 115 grn cheapo stuff at 50 yrds). And with a folder (brace, or stock on an SBR),  it gets pretty compact. Much smaller than most any AR pistol or SBR.   IF you really want to have a 556 pistol and want compact, there are some - the SIG 556, a couple others - which have no buffer tube requirements - which allows stuff to fold up much smaller than the standard buffer-tube AR types.  Just my 2c!
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 12:19:35 AM »

Matt,

Welcome to our Bullpup Forum.

Consider the following:

< https://pof-usa.com/firearms/p415-edge-pistol/ >

< https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/rifles/rdb/ >

Good luck on whatever you decide.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:04:32 PM by SHORT-N-SASSY » Logged
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 11:35:09 AM »

You know, there is one other option for a compact, super lightweight 5.56 firearm that's outside the box.  The KelTec PLR16.

I bought one of those on a whim a few years ago just for fun since it's almost a category of its own.  Frankly I've been a little surprised how effective this thing is.

The PLR16 is less than 3.5 pounds, super compact, inexpensive, uses AR15 mags, and is surprisingly accurate for the barrel length.  It has fixed sights, but I think it excels with a small rifle red dot or a pistol red dot.

After it proved its ability at 100 yards with a red dot, it's become my actual truck gun that stays locked in a secure, locking clamp under the seat in my pickup.

Just another option for consideration.
Brabus55

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 08:09:24 PM »

Great replies, all of them!!

I sincerely appreciate the input gentlemen and I apologize for the delayed response!

A couple people asked for a little more detail regarding the injury itself. I have a C5-T1 Brachial Plexus root avulsion as a result of a motorcycle accident so my left arm is COMPLETELY paralyzed from my shoulder down. Quite literally ZERO use of the limb. I find that I can shoot just about anything if the gun is supported, but without any kind of support I find I canít hold the gun unsupported without doing some crazy 8ís.

I agree that the PS90 probably IS my best option and I may SBR that as well, but I REALLY like my X95 and want to get the most I can from it. I initially was going to try to wait for a 13Ē barrel in .300 BO but as I mentioned before it sounds like that may not happen and for the distances Iím concerned about (<200 yards) a 75 grain 5.56 should do the trick. Aside from that and maybe losing the 3, 6 and 9 oíclock rails (If possible) I donít see too many more options for putting the X95 on a diet!

Thanks again for the input fellas and for making me feel welcome!

Best regards,
                                                    Matt
tsh77769

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 02:06:16 AM »

I think the Kel-Tec RDB is going to be the lightest 5.56 bullpup. However I would go with the regular model with a pistol grip rather than the survival model. Since you only have the one hand to use, the difference the grip makes will be significant. Also, the mag catch placement might be better for you on the standard model.

I think your best bet would be to go with the SBR 13" tavor since you are already familiar with it.

I would also try one of the torkmag 50rd mags. They work great in my AR and I do recommend them for an AR. I do not know if they work in a tavor because I have never tried but if they do it would be of great benefit. I can tell you they do NOT work in an AUG.

http://torkmag.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59&products_id=83&zenid=e15c6cb3eb84150cc499431c9d4f644a

I do not think that the PS90 is your best option or even a particularly good one. A PS90 is heavy for its size at around 7 or 7.5 pounds IIRC?? Magazine changes might be an issue. Grip angle and closeness might be an issue. Then there are all the concerns with the 5.7x28 cartridge.

One of my most proud accomplishments as an instructor was teaching a fellow veteran how to run an AUG one handed. His left arm was amputated at the shoulder.

Best wishes to you.

panzerbob01

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 03:29:09 AM »

@Matt:

OK. As I understand it, you are effectively 1-handed.  So, just a couple things for consideration...  One is weight.  You are handling your weapon with one hand. On the one side, heavier means more work to sling it around. On the other, heavier absorbs more recoil and makes a weapon more controllable.  I went out and one-handed my PS90, my X95, my Tavor IDF, and an M&P AR mid-length. All are pretty stock. Each had an optic. 

I found that the PS90 w/ full 50rd mag was easiest to handle 1-handed. Faster to engage target, easier to control in both propped and free-arm / un-supported firing.  Because of its somewhat heavy "butt", it felt fairly well balanced.  As I emptied the mag, the balance felt pretty consistent.

The X95 and IDF w/ full 30rd mag were both fairly easy to handle, and share the heavy-butt better-balancing of the PS90.  The larger ammo and recoil did affect the control some compared to the PS90 - specially when firing off-hand un-supported.  I could definitely feel the balance shift forward as the mag emptied...

The AR - somewhat lighter than the PS90 or the Tavors - was of course much heavier to the front, and took considerable more effort to handle and control. Weight does matter.

I tried mag-changes in all.  Frankly, dropping mags from the Tavors and AR was easier than from the PS90. A little work came about when trying to get the next in. Obviously, one must swap gun for mag in every case, and it was a bit more work to swap the PS90 mag. But practice helps...

So I'm thinking about mags and mag-changes, here...  All would work, and none would be very fast, compared to those working both hands.  BUT.... I find myself thinking that I should either be able to settle the immediate issue inside the 30 223 or 50 5.7x28 rds, or I will have sought some other location.  A fast mag change does not seem likely to be the crucial issue, compared to control and handling. The stats on numbers of rds fired in non-combat / non-military gun-fights are pretty convincing: very few fire more than 1 mag.  In the imaginable SHTF scenario, one could of course dream of having to blow thru multiple mags - but seems mighty unlikely. I know that I would be looking to change up the game, and disengage, if possible.  But of course that's just my take on it!

As to the cartridges considered: Whether it's 30 x 223 / 556 or 50 x 5.7x28, I won't volunteer to be the receiver or down-range, specially if the shooter can actually control his weapon.  A 50 rd 223 mag would be pretty heavy, and will affect the handling of the weapon from 1 hand.  There is some pretty effective 5.7 ammo out there. But I wouldn't volunteer to be the target for any type.

Speaking only as an older guy with very modest rifle experience (but the luxury of having all the hardware to try out), I found the PS90 would still be my 1-handed choice as a SHTF gun. The ammo is smaller and the gun is more-stable in 1-hand. I can carry more ammo (maybe critical in SHTF scenarios?), and the smooth, few-things-to-hang-up-on form, and the 1-hand ergos do favor the PS90, IMHO. Now, IF I had an SBR Tavor or PS90, I can imagine both would be handier - and that could affect my thinking, but I can only speculate to that.

Just my amateur opinion! Cheers! Bob Smiley
tsh77769

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 04:24:21 AM »

Initially the OP was focused on weight.

Although I have reservations about the PS90, one thing about it is that hardly any of the weight is forward of the firing hand so the balance would be good despite the heavy for size and crowding issues.

tsh77769
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length