Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2019, 01:08:41 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Shotguns
| |-+  Kel-Tec KSG (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  Kel-Tec KS7 Reviews
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Kel-Tec KS7 Reviews  (Read 3469 times)
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: March 03, 2019, 10:25:02 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqMb5udo0kc
dntam

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 05:20:17 PM »

I would have liked to see  him test some Federal 13200 or some slugs. Also I would like to see how to mount a light on the shotgun. The Mlok slots do not look like great places to mount a light.
MarkB

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 05:11:39 PM »

Today I fired my KS7 for the first time. I thought I might have some problems. I was using some 12ga snap caps to test for function and I was having problems with feeding. While racking the pump, the outer cartridge catch (part #KS&-331) would not release the shell from the magazine. Most times, a second pump released the shell. Sometimes I could go 8 or 10 rounds with no problems and then I would have a failure every other round. I called Kel-Tec this AM and discussed this problem. The tech and I agreed on several points. The problem might be a "break-in" problem and I needed to shoot the KS7 to find out. The pump needed to be sharply pumped. The 12ga snap caps might have different size rims than live shells. The edges of the rear rims of the snap caps were beat up and may have contributed to the problem.

I made it to the range this afternoon to shoot the KS7. I shot 22 Winchester AA shells, 18 Agulia mini-shell slugs, 9 Aguila mini-shell buckshot, and 4 regular #4 buck shells. I had NO failures with live ammo except for the 4 regular shells. I believe the 2 failures I had with the regular shells were dur to operator error induced by the increased recoil. Now this LIGHT 12ga shotgun grabs your attention when you fire it with regular shells. The AA shells had some recoil but were easy. The mini-shells were delightful. They functioned correctly and had very low recoil. I'd say equal to or less than 5.56 NATO.

The sight rail, for me was too low and, as a result, I was shooting high. I'll change to the Picatinny rail, mount a red dot and see how it goes.

I really enjoyed shooting my KS7

thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 06:36:34 PM »

I wouldn't worry about snap caps being an issue...they aren't real rounds...
MarkB

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 09:38:57 PM »

I agree.  I was concerned because of the failure of the snap caps.  Regular, live rounds worked just fine.  The mini's were sweet.
dntam

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 09:44:04 PM »

What kind of malfunctions did you have?  Short stroking?, Light primer strikes?, misfeed?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:20:48 PM by dntam » Logged
MarkB

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 09:53:53 PM »

The failures I had with the 12ga snap caps were all a failure of the outer cartridge catch (part #KS7-331) to move far enough to release the shell from the mag tube.  The shellstayed in the mag tube.  A second pump usually released the snap cap.  Again,  I had no failures with live ammo.
dntam

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 11:19:29 PM »

I thought you had said you had failures  with four shells.  So I am not really sure what you meant.

In any case  I would not worry about snap cap failures.  I have Azoom 12 g. snap caps that jam in my Benelli SN but no problems with live ammo.

If it has brisk recoil perhaps "stretching the shotgun" as you fire it will help.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:25:38 PM by dntam » Logged
MarkB

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 11:44:03 PM »

I had two failures with the four high brass #4 buck.  I believe it was because the KS7 was jumping up and down on me.
scstrain

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 01:59:07 PM »

Took my KS7 and KSG to shoot for the first time yesterday. I had racked the KSG with shotgun shell snap caps hundreds of times to get its feel. Realized that the last 1/4" or so of the pump is what drops the cartridge catch allowing a shell to pop out onto the shell lifter into the chamber. You have to rack FULL BACK or no shell pops out onto these lifters. This is where many have problems. You will learn to feel this happening.

The KS7 works the same way, but just one feeding tube. I also noticed that the cartridge catch is a little different, maybe a little taller? (maybe not)

SHOOTING: Was shooting #6 and #4 low brass shells (2 3/4"). Shot KS7 first. Had a learning curve. I not only had to cycle full rear but also quick. Then had no problems.

I may be the only one that feels that the KSG pumps smoother. Because of the two feeding tubes the pump handle seems to ride back with a cleaner, steadier feel. The KSG also seems more substantial in it's make up. The KS7 has some wobble at the front of the pump handle.

Bottom Line: I like them both and both have there place. However, if one is going to trust their life on these platforms they better get very, very familiar with them. You have to feel that last 1/4" on the back stroke that allows a shell to pop out of the shell tube onto the lifter. That is not forgiving, if you do not get there you will not get a shell. And, the pump stroke feels totally different then other pump guns. None of this is bad.........just very different.
MarkB

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 07:25:49 PM »

Had a chance to spend a little time at the range.  I was there primarily for a Stag Varmiter I was having problems with. I shot about a dozen mini shot shells through the KS7.  The mini's in the KS7 are a joy to shoot.  All functioned fine except for one shell.  Based on that one shell, always rack the KS7 quickly with the mini shells.  If you rack slowly or hesitate you may get a feed failure. If you rack quickly and decisively, the mini's feed fine.  Don't hesitate.
MikeC

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 02:21:30 PM »

Review of this KS7 is out of the box, as is.  I’m not a recreational shootist.  Racking the KS7 is easier than the KSG.  The trigger feel is similar to the KSG.

The KS7 does not come with a “low brass not recommended” card that the KSG did (KSG bought new March 2018).  So…  low brass is ok in the KS7?  I guess.

The KS7 is noticeably lightweight for a long gun – it feels like a toy; a toy gun from the 80’s.  The plastic foregrip has a little give, nothing concerning, but fit and feel of the foregrip contribute to the toy feeling.  Unloaded, the weight balances right on the shooting hand wrist, a couple inches behind the pistol grip.  Fully loaded (7+1 rounds Sellier & Bellot 00 buck, 2.75”), the weight balances right on the web of the shooting hand.  Holding the KS7 one-handed, unloaded or fully loaded, feels good and feels natural.  I was very tempted to shoot it one-handed (but didn’t).

The carrying handle feels solid, like metal (but it’s plastic).  When using the carrying handle, unloaded, the rear of the gun is heavy and unavoidably points down.  I gun rests approximately 60 degrees away from being horizontal, or 30 degrees away from being vertical.  Being fully loaded doesn’t help much, and the rear of the gun points down somewhere between 45 and 60 degrees from being horizontal, or 30 to 45 degrees from being vertical.  Loaded or unloaded, this puts all of the gun’s weight on your index finger, or pinches your index finger between the handle and your middle finger.  In a few minutes (walking around my farm), you feel that weight on all the bones in that one finger.  It’s uncomfortable.  I tried using my thumb to point the front end more toward being horizontal, but that starts feeling uncomfortable, too.  Loaded or unloaded, using the carrying handle will not rest the weight of the gun evenly across your fingers.

There appears to be 0.5” to 0.75” more room in the KS7 tube in comparison with the KSG.  The KS7 tube will take 7 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 00 buck (2.75”) with a half inch to spare.  My KSG will take 6, but only approximately 2.5” of the 7th round.

I casually shot 7 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 00 buck (2.75”) in about 1 to 2 minutes.  It began to hurt my shoulder after 3 rounds.  I had no failures to eject.  I had one failure to feed where I couldn’t completely rack forward, couldn’t close the bolt.  When I went to look, the unfired hull had wedged itself between the two loading prongs, perpendicular, brass side pointing up into the gun.  I pushed the stuck round past the loading prongs and was able to close the bolt and continue.  I fully reloaded several times and cycled the action to feed and eject and could not get the KS7 to fail again.

The tube cap (under the muzzle) wasn’t tight, so I hand-tightened it, about an eighth to a quarter turn.
MikeC

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 08:23:18 AM »

The KS7 doesn’t appear to have the “wrist injury” problem the KSG has had for some people.  I myself rarely experienced this problem with my KSG, and while operating my KS7, I purposefully brought my arms/elbows in toward my body, and still could not get my KS7 to hit my wrist or arm with ejected shells.

I fired 15 more rounds through the KS7 (Sellier & Bellot 00 buck, 2.75”).  This time, I had light primer strikes with 3 of the 15 rounds.  I also believed I racked hard, but still had 4 failures to release a fresh shell from the tube.  Chalk it up to new-gun/not-broken-in, or user error/inexperience as I don’t shoot often/recreationally.
MikeC

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 08:18:12 AM »

Fired 25 rounds of Fiocchi 00 buck, 2.75” this weekend through my KS7. I experienced no failure to feed, no failure to eject, and no failure to release a fresh shell from the tube when racking.  No failures whatsoever.
MikeC

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 08:22:31 AM »

Fired 25 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 00 buck, 2.75” yesterday through my KS7.  This time, I had no failures with this ammo.  No failure to feed, no failure to eject, and no failure to release a fresh shell from the tube when racking.

Overall, I strongly prefer the KS7 over the KSG.  As an average John Q. Citizen, it fulfills all of my needs, straight out of the box.
dntam

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 11:13:08 PM »

Mine is on its way back to Kel-tec. Was getting frequent double feeds. This was Very irritating. The pointed chisel shaped cartridge release looks too short to catch the shells. Not sure why they put such a sharp point on it.  Its a great way to slice open your thumb if you stick  a finger in for a mag or chamber check.
MikeC

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 10:49:58 AM »

Fired 25 rounds of Remington Game Loads 7 ½ shot, 2.75” (Wal-mart cheap stuff) and experienced multiple failures to release a fresh round from the tube onto the loading prongs (3 or 4?, possibly 4 or 5).  The ammo seemed to hang up within the tube (primer end flush with the end of the tube) with seemingly nothing holding it back, about an eighth of an inch away from the cartridge release.

Correcting this took two full pumps of the action.  The first pump would let the round move back an eighth of an inch to make contact with the cartridge release.  The second pump would load the fresh round.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length