Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2019, 05:14:25 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  What happened to the Steyr Aug market?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What happened to the Steyr Aug market?  (Read 1318 times)
Culatar

« on: March 03, 2019, 09:53:14 AM »

Right before the 2016 election, AUG / USR parts were cheap and very available. Fast forward up to the present, trying to buy a spare BCG is near impossible. People with used parts are demanding new retail prices. The prices of Aug rifles went up from $1600ish up to $1800-$1900 as the norm. What is driving up the demand? Someone on another board said the market has entered into panic driven economy? Is this true?
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 01:34:32 PM »

As to the panic mode concept, even a crazed, idiotic, democrat house can't really do much with a senate and president in place that would roadblock excessive gun control measures.  This is assuming you can trust senate republicans and the president, but especially in this current political climate, it's hard to believe that the senate and president are going to cave to the democrats. 

My WAG on the issue would be that under the most severe conditions, aggressive gun control measures wouldn't get passed until 2021.  And that's only if the democrats win the presidency and win everything in numbers large enough to run roughshod over everyone.  It could happen, but it might be a little early to go full panic mode.

I assumed the worst during the last presidential election, so I stocked up on every freakin' thing.  Obama, Hillary, and the crazed crop of current democrats do more for the proliferation of guns, ammo, and components than any salesman could ever hope to accomplish.  And if they get total control of government in the future and think all those guns are going to be turned in...well...they are sadly mistaken.  Even in the communist enclaves where laws have been passed like the 10-round magazine limit in New Jersey, almost no one has surrendered any magazines. 

The democrats have preached and screamed "RESIST" from the rooftops against Trump and Republicans.  I predict they will encounter at least as aggressive resistance from gun owners if democrats do go full ******.

OP, back to the topic of AUG parts however, I'd bet it has more to do with the extremely poor awareness of Steyr in general as it applies to their reaction to the gun and component market.  IMO they're slower than a turtle turd rolling uphill in their development and bringing items to market.  I love my AUG, but Steyr doesn't move quickly or smartly when it comes to the consumer market.
sboone

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 04:52:31 PM »

Agree with TNC.  Steyr really doesnt listen to the consumer base, how long have we wantes barrels threaded 1/228 so we could use common 556 muzzle components and they brought in 16" & 20", how long have we wanted a faster twist than 1/9, and they did a limited run of 1:7 in 16" only when half the reason for the faster twist was to use heavier bullets to shoot farther more accurately and have more energy, which would've benefited from a longer barrel.

There's lots of room for improvement with the AUG, caliber conversion possibilities, updates, but Steyr has been too busy designing gucci AR to comepete with HK M27, handguns, and expensive precision rifles that approach custom territory. They sell but I dont see many Steyr anything much anymore and when I do it's the AUG which is where their focus should be. They dont know their bread and butter me thinks
Hkbeltfed

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 09:05:52 PM »

Fast forward up to the present, trying to buy a spare BCG is near impossible. People with used parts are demanding new retail prices.

I just parted out my A2 with factory 14 barrel with less than 1300 rounds. The BGC was the last part to sell, took at least a month, and was for less than half what a new one costs.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 12:18:09 AM »

Agree with TNC.  Steyr really doesnt listen to the consumer base, how long have we wantes barrels threaded 1/228 so we could use common 556 muzzle components and they brought in 16" & 20", how long have we wanted a faster twist than 1/9, and they did a limited run of 1:7 in 16" only when half the reason for the faster twist was to use heavier bullets to shoot farther more accurately and have more energy, which would've benefited from a longer barrel.

There's lots of room for improvement with the AUG, caliber conversion possibilities, updates, but Steyr has been too busy designing gucci AR to comepete with HK M27, handguns, and expensive precision rifles that approach custom territory. They sell but I dont see many Steyr anything much anymore and when I do it's the AUG which is where their focus should be. They dont know their bread and butter me thinks

To be fair...Steyr needs to add another platform for them to survive...with NATO forces adopting M4 style platform left and right...it makes perfect sense for Steyr to focus on that R&D...just saying. I want Steyr to survive...eventhough...I agree...they could improve on the AUG fairly easily...
PjsSteyrAUG

The Steyr AUG Guy

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 05:08:18 PM »

Steyr tells me they are doing great and sales have never been better. Last year was their best year so far. Same with Steyr in Austria, they claim to be backed up at least 6 months or longer on production.

They are doing so well Jan 1st they went up 6% across the board on all firearms and some parts.

Material cost and Euro exchange rate they blame.

Shocked
ttarp

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 06:10:12 PM »

Are they doing good enough to develop a 7.62X39?

Hey I can dream right?
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 10:48:40 PM »

Steyr tells me they are doing great and sales have never been better. Last year was their best year so far. Same with Steyr in Austria, they claim to be backed up at least 6 months or longer on production.

They are doing so well Jan 1st they went up 6% across the board on all firearms and some parts.

Material cost and Euro exchange rate they blame.

Shocked

PJ, it's quite possible they are doing better than ever on sales, but I guess my question would be better than "what"?  Based on what I see online, in gun stores, public shoots, etc., one almost never even sees an AUG.  They could have a low number of sales, and any bump in that number could be "better than ever".

Then on the other hand, what are those sales you/they are referring to?  If it's for the AUG, that would be a little surprising but pretty cool.  If it's sales overall of Steyr products, then unfortunately that means little to most of us AUG owners.

And PJ, please understand that this isn't a jab at you or anything personal.  It's just that many of us would like to see Steyr offer some form of upgrades and development like other calibers, triggers, etc. for the AUG.
Hkbeltfed

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 07:29:11 AM »

Better than previous years.
FullAssault

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 03:36:00 AM »

well Im glad they are doing well, they wont miss my $$$$ that much. I probably wont be buying any more AUGs unless they  start making proper CLB again for there AUGs

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
-Samuel Adams
7n6

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 03:23:42 PM »

Steyr needs to make 1/7 twist chrome lined AUG barrels. They have tons of AUG's just sitting on gunbroker without bids. What they perceive as a "great year for sales" is about to bite them in the ass when the distributors start slashing prices to move the rifles.
INV136
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 01:54:36 PM »

I would think that Steyr's bread and butter market, like most all large European gun manufacturers is not determined solely by the US commercial market. Rather they are most likely making more money from their global military and police markets as well as whatever markets they have in European commercial markets. The US commercial market is only one, smaller market, not their "bread and butter" market as assumed.
PjsSteyrAUG

The Steyr AUG Guy

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 12:41:04 PM »

Steyr needs to make 1/7 twist chrome lined AUG barrels. They have tons of AUG's just sitting on gunbroker without bids. What they perceive as a "great year for sales" is about to bite them in the ass when the distributors start slashing prices to move the rifles.

It took Steyr 3 years to sell 200 1/7 twist barrels. Wasn't much demand for them at all, in fact the last 50 or so 1/7 barrels Steyr built guns with them just to get rid of them.

I too sat on them for a very long time.

With the election coming up gun sales is picking up, as we get closer to the election I'm sure guns will be drying up, especially AUGs. Steyr is only able to produce about 250 a month. That's not a lot of guns. Currently they have 0 in stock! They do sell pretty much all that they make.

Yes they also did go up on price on the AUGs and most all parts. It cost me $50 more per AUG now.

Grin
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 12:45:04 PM by PjsSteyrAUG » Logged
desertmoon

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 10:23:45 PM »

It took Steyr 3 years to sell 200 1/7 twist barrels. Wasn't much demand for them at all, in fact the last 50 or so 1/7 barrels Steyr built guns with them just to get rid of them.

I too sat on them for a very long time.

With the election coming up gun sales is picking up, as we get closer to the election I'm sure guns will be drying up, especially AUGs. Steyr is only able to produce about 250 a month. That's not a lot of guns. Currently they have 0 in stock! They do sell pretty much all that they make.

Yes they also did go up on price on the AUGs and most all parts. It cost me $50 more per AUG now.

Grin

I'm in PJs camp on this.  In fact, the AUG and one of my Colt rifles with a 1/9 twist are why I love 1 in 9.  I'm never gonna shoot heavy 5.56, personally, out of a regular service rifle.  I'd rather a gun that can run both types of service weight, line infantry ammo efficiently.  That's not to say I don't have guns that will run heavy stuff, I do, but generally I would rather go middle of the road.  1:9 has always worked really well for me.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length