Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 07:17:21 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  Dedicated CBQ AUG
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dedicated CBQ AUG  (Read 2849 times)
TBM900
^

« on: February 22, 2019, 04:04:50 PM »

Ive got a spare A3M1 with the cheese-grater 3x that I absolutely loathe, and its just been sitting since I picked up my pair of 40th STG's.
`
Ive been planning on pulling the scope (selling it) and pondering what to do with the it after. Im leaning towards setting it up as a dedicated night CQB/HD sort of platform with a side rail light and a fast optic.

What have you guys tried and found to work best....and worst.

I was thinking maybe an Eotech but have read lots of folks have issues charging the rifle.
Maybe a micro red-dot to keep it light and fast?
What rail are you using for your dot? Eotech? Etc

What lights have you side-rail mounted that worked best?

In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.
-Wilbur Wright
mpd3285
^

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 05:14:48 PM »

For your purposes, I'd first pick a long battery life or "shake awake" optic.  The Trijicon MRO or Aimpoint T1/T2/H1/H2 all are great long battery life optics.  For movement activated optics the Sig Romeo 5 / Holosun basic red dots are fine for most use, and if you like the Eotech style (ring/dot) reticles, the Sig Romeo 4H/4T and their corresponding Holosuns are good for the price and include a few mounting options.  I'd consider the Corvus extended rail for the extra QD sockets and the ability to mount a ACOG directly to it.  I use the TA44 1.5 with the ACSS reticle, but you might consider a TA33 (3x) or higher mag with the boss system to mount an RMR red dot on top.  Then you have a CQB red-dot and the ability to quickly switch to precision longer range.  Just be prepared these systems will cost more than your AUG. 

If thinking CQB (like inside a house) then optics aren't super critical as most shots wouldn't be too far, so you'd get good use from the benefits of a laser or light laser combo.  You won't need absolute precision vs. speed and minute of bad-guy accuracy.  Plus lasers allow you to get accuracy when in un-conventional shooting positions that you may not have the rifle fully shouldered/looking though the optic.  Of course, any baddies inside the "hot spot" of a decent tact light inside of house distances are pretty much "on target" without the need for laser precision.  You can't go wrong with a TLR 1,2,7,8 for this use.  Surefire makes great lights too, but a bit more expensive.  Olight also has some good options for size and re-chargeables.    Using a BSR-1 mount from Botach will allow you to barrel mount a Streamlight TLR and keep your existing front grip, pics attached of two ways to mount it for the TLR, or use any tail cap button light with the BSR set to 9 o'clock.  Also, I'd get a set of electronic muffs or a suppressor as ANY rifle indoors will cause permanent hearing loss. 

* 20190222_155905_resized.jpg (836.32 KB, 2016x1512 - viewed 221 times.)

* 20190222_160214_resized.jpg (588.31 KB, 2016x1512 - viewed 208 times.)

Steyr AUG= Austrian combat Legos since 1977.
Why SBR when you can AUG?! - Haven't we been taxed enough already?
TBM900
^

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 10:00:12 AM »

So far no one is running anything other than the factory optic?

Shocked   Tongue   Undecided   Lips Sealed

Anyone?

desert island

In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.
-Wilbur Wright
mpd3285
^

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 10:25:43 AM »

I mentioned the MRO, Aimpoint, Romeo 4H and a few ACOG models in my reply. Those are all decent options.

Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 12:08:54 PM »

My AUG is setup to be a catch all. Has a Burris RT-6 in a Manticore Talon mount, and a Streamlight HL-X on the side rail. At 1x, I can just bring it up and have a large enough reticle that works well, especially when the side light is on.

Had a Vortex Sparc on it before the scope, and I couldn't stand it, but my astigmatism makes red dots a relatively crappy option.
TBM900
^

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 01:31:43 PM »

I mentioned the MRO, Aimpoint, Romeo 4H and a few ACOG models in my reply. Those are all decent options.
I specifically asked for first hand experience, not a list of options.

-Wilbur Wright
TBM900
^

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 01:38:37 PM »

My AUG is setup to be a catch all. Has a Burris RT-6 in a Manticore Talon mount, and a Streamlight HL-X on the side rail. At 1x, I can just bring it up and have a large enough reticle that works well, especially when the side light is on.

Had a Vortex Sparc on it before the scope, and I couldn't stand it, but my astigmatism makes red dots a relatively crappy option.
How are you activating the Streamlight, cap or remote?
What do you think of the option you're using?

Ive considered the Talon mount but kind of think I would be right back to the standard optic no matter what I would put in it. Although I am a huge fan of low/fixed power scopes for their wide FOV and brightness, its kind of tempting to try on the AUG.

-Wilbur Wright
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 01:42:56 PM »

I am using the clicky cap right now, have to replace the tape on the remote switch, but I can activate the flashlight pretty easily, so I'm not sure if I'll transition back to the switch.

Originally I was gonna go with the factory optic, but I decided that I might as well choose the best of getting a similar style without sacrificing current market options. I was thinking of picking up the Steiner 3x prism sight for the same reason of a fixed power high FOV and all at one point, but didn't care for the reticle.

Oh, and one thing people do to prevent having charging issues is to get an aftermarket charging handle like the Gear head or Manticore ones. I didn't need to swap mine out, but I threw a Gear Head on and it's pretty awesome due to the angle it is at.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 01:55:14 PM by Clarke-Sensei » Logged
mpd3285
^

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 05:34:45 PM »

Sorry I did not clarify, I have been carrying on duty and teaching AUG for 12 years.  I have used all of these optics at some point on my AUGs and other officers use these ones at my agency on AUGs and P90s.  I am also now teaching AUG for the Steyr Academy at the Talledega CMP ranges.  I wanted to present you with the options that I know work and have been satisfactory to the users I work with.   Smiley

lockon

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 08:02:09 AM »

MRO or PRO or Aimpoint Micro for red dot. My A3 has used them before. Like Clarke I use a LPVO most of the time. In my case a TR24G. No battery needed plus tritium illumination. Quick acquisition with the green triangle plus added precision when using the tip zeroed at 200, bottom of triangle ranges out to about 380-400 yards. I will eventually upgrade to the TR25 1-6. Itís a true 1x so I can use it as close to a red dot as possible. Itís now on an A3 with the extended 2020 TR35 rail. So it gives me plenty of real estate for a light and back ups plus a sling mount. Unfortunately even this set up means a pressure switch is what works best for me. A TLR-1HL rides at 12 at the very front. I have used this set up in numerous night competitions for the past 5 years or so. A 2020 TR1 rail will let you use a clicky switch as it replaces the folding grip. I canít use one since this particular AUG is grand fathered in as a pistol in MI. I have a mud M-1 3x. I contemplated setting up a TR1 and I may still do it but the TLR-1HP model I use on the side rail illuminates very well. The focused beam is very close to the bore of the rifle. Itís so focused that my POI and POA are typically very close to the center of the beam at most distances. I used to have a mini reflex ride at 12 on top of the optic. While not really ideal I may go back to that set up but this time with a Leupold delta point pro triangle. Chin vs cheek weld. In a pinch it works. Had a vortex venom on there and the 3 moa dot was too small for quick close work plus the battery life wasnít great. Covers my cqb and optimizes my 3x.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:56:16 AM by lockon » Logged
Andygold

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 05:43:21 PM »

For your purposes, I'd first pick a long battery life or "shake awake" optic.  The Trijicon MRO or Aimpoint T1/T2/H1/H2 all are great long battery life optics.  For movement activated optics the Sig Romeo 5 / Holosun basic red dots are fine for most use, and if you like the Eotech style (ring/dot) reticles, the Sig Romeo 4H/4T and their corresponding Holosuns are good for the price and include a few mounting options.  I'd consider the Corvus extended rail for the extra QD sockets and the ability to mount a ACOG directly to it.  I use the TA44 1.5 with the ACSS reticle, but you might consider a TA33 (3x) or higher mag with the boss system to mount an RMR red dot on top.  Then you have a CQB red-dot and the ability to quickly switch to precision longer range.  Just be prepared these systems will cost more than your AUG. 

If thinking CQB (like inside a house) then optics aren't super critical as most shots wouldn't be too far, so you'd get good use from the benefits of a laser or light laser combo.  You won't need absolute precision vs. speed and minute of bad-guy accuracy.  Plus lasers allow you to get accuracy when in un-conventional shooting positions that you may not have the rifle fully shouldered/looking though the optic.  Of course, any baddies inside the "hot spot" of a decent tact light inside of house distances are pretty much "on target" without the need for laser precision.  You can't go wrong with a TLR 1,2,7,8 for this use.  Surefire makes great lights too, but a bit more expensive.  Olight also has some good options for size and re-chargeables.    Using a BSR-1 mount from Botach will allow you to barrel mount a Streamlight TLR and keep your existing front grip, pics attached of two ways to mount it for the TLR, or use any tail cap button light with the BSR set to 9 o'clock.  Also, I'd get a set of electronic muffs or a suppressor as ANY rifle indoors will cause permanent hearing loss. 

Does hanging a light off the barrel cause any issues with accuracy/harmonics/heat, etc.?
mpd3285
^

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 07:03:51 PM »

It could, but issues, I'd say no. A free floated target crown barrel would provide the best accuracy/consistent harmonics, so barrel mounted accessories change that, but is it noticeable? Not really on the AUG platform.  As far as heat, if you do a few mag dumps, the reciever of the AUG gets noticeably hot, not much of that ransfers to the barrel light mount by comparison.  I do prefer the TR1 rail or 2 o'clock side rail, I sent these pics as another way that some may not have tried that us hard to explain without pics.

gunhand

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 10:55:21 AM »

I carried an AUG-P for 18 years with U.S. Customs. 11 of those years I was a member of two different Special Response Teams. During my time on the teams, we trained with the fixed 1.5 power carrying handle optic. It worked very well with the addition of a weapons light. Because of the mechanical offset of the height of the optic over the bore, we of course had to train for a higher point of aim to do head shots during CQB drills.

Now on both of my AUG A3 rifles, I have a Aimpoint T1 and H1 optics. They are both great optics for CQB weapons systems.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 11:19:58 AM by gunhand » Logged
TBM900
^

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 01:53:44 PM »

I tried a whole bunch of optics & lights and didn't like any of them.
Then I had a "Well Duh" moment and tried the same set-up I use on my CX4's and GHM9's.

Trijicon MRO and Inforce WMLx

I hadn't thought to even try the WMLx due its button location, I just assumed it would suck. But it turns out that its perfectly situated for index-finger activation. Not quite scout-light throw but its perfect for interior and typical defensive distances.

I first tried the short/low Steyr rail to keep weight down, but I found it required a 'head down' hold for most red-dots, and it shifted the balance too far forward with all but the micro-dots. As a last resort I ordered a long/tall Steyr rail and found it worked perfect for the MRO. It is the perfect height for 'heads up' use and brings the balance back perfectly.

I had been looking for an excuse to try the green MRO as all mine are older red ones, loving it so far.

-Wilbur Wright
mig1nc

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 09:52:41 AM »

EDIT: Sorry for the necro post. I was searching for something else and opened this thread. Came back to it later and didn't notice the date and that the problem was solved.

ORIGINAL POST:

I have an EOTech currently on mine with a riser. But that's for specific reasons. I like to shoot with night vision and the EOtech is bar-none the best sight in existence for that.

In your case, you might look to professional users. The latest unit to adopt the AUG with flat top receiver and use modern optics is the Austrian EKO Cobra, which is kind of like our HBI HRT elite SWAT team.

They use an Aimpoint micro with flip to side magnifier as needed.

I know that's expensive, but you could substitute an equivalent Sig or Holosun optic. Maybe the best cost effective option would be the combo deal that includes a sig micro red dot with their excellent magnifier.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:54:27 AM by mig1nc » Logged
Leonitus

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 07:11:02 PM »

Ive got a spare A3M1 with the cheese-grater 3x that I absolutely loathe, and its just been sitting since I picked up my pair of 40th STG's.
`
Ive been planning on pulling the scope (selling it) and pondering what to do with the it after. Im leaning towards setting it up as a dedicated night CQB/HD sort of platform with a side rail light and a fast optic.

I was thinking maybe an Eotech but have read lots of folks have issues charging the rifle.

As far as optic,.....I run a Trijicon ACOG, model TA44.
Super quick, no batteries, direct mounted to a Corvus Defensio top rail

As far as a light.....still looking for the right one
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:56:01 PM by Leonitus » Logged
mig1nc

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 05:11:27 AM »

`

Continuing the discussion because it's a fun topic. Yeah, I agree. I love the TA44. VERY solid choice, and I never thought about the corvus rail mount option with it.

Great suggestion. Although, my only question back to you, how do you find it being a little bit lower due to the corvus mount? Usually a CQB optic you want up high for a heads-up shooting position.
Leonitus

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 06:40:42 AM »

`

Continuing the discussion because it's a fun topic. Yeah, I agree. I love the TA44. VERY solid choice, and I never thought about the corvus rail mount option with it.

Great suggestion. Although, my only question back to you, how do you find it being a little bit lower due to the corvus mount? Usually a CQB optic you want up high for a heads-up shooting position.

It works for me.
Going to swap out the key mod rail for an MLok one.
Might look at other options.
But, since Iím not kicking in doors, Iím good.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length