Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 06:58:33 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  New MDR aluminum Handguard - ready for pre-ordering
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: New MDR aluminum Handguard - ready for pre-ordering  (Read 10036 times)
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2019, 09:43:03 AM »

Just so I have this straight in my mind...

The "short" version is the same length as the existing handguard or is it somewhere between the existing handguard and the oversized handguard that DT offers?  And the "long" version is longer than the oversized version DT offers?

Thanks!

Kurt

Kurt
LeeMajors

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2019, 09:53:45 AM »

Short is the same length as standard DT.

Long adds 4" to partially cover your suppressor.

Both handguards are "suppressor diameter", there isn't a "skinny -vs- fat".  They're all suppressor diameter, just different lengths. 

In the future we may offer a "slim" short version for people who have smaller hands.  I'm 5' 11", no giant hands, and you can see my grip on the handguard is pretty natural. 
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2019, 04:20:59 PM »

thanks!

Kurt
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2019, 11:16:27 PM »

Wait, you have a new bolt release for the RDB?Huh? Link please?
LeeMajors

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2019, 11:23:33 PM »

lol - yes, we've sold a few hundred of them already. 

www.lifeindustries.net
reason

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2019, 01:46:57 PM »

Does anyone know how much longer the DT suppressor handguard is than the short one? I also am trying to figure if Lees long one is longer than DTs suppressor hg....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 02:48:21 PM by reason » Logged
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »

The overall length of the base handguard is 8.75" (measured from the front of the handguard to the most distant point behind the tension screw).  The suppressor handguard is 11.25", measured similarly.  The base version has three M-Lok slots while the suppressor version has 4, and they start a little farther forward than on the baseline.

Kurt
reason

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2019, 10:47:11 PM »

Ergo the aftermarket long hg will be 12.75??
8.75+4.00= 12.75
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2019, 11:00:05 PM »

Ergo the aftermarket long hg will be 12.75??
8.75+4.00= 12.75

Sounds about right to me.  I think I'll stick with the short one; it has enough weight with the OSS BPR/SRM can that I'm not sure I want to add anything more.

Kurt
LeeMajors

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2019, 12:04:02 AM »

Yes, although it's a smidge closer to 12.5".  That's about what I need with my arm reach for comfortable standing shooting on the move anyway.  I tend to grab about 2" past the factory handguard with a natural grab, which puts me half on, half off the rail. 

I'll be running the long with my OSS.
INV136
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2019, 11:12:02 PM »

Any news yet on the date that the hand guard will finally be shipping? I'm not getting impatient, just wondering when to expect the hand guard.
LeeMajors

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2019, 01:41:24 AM »

I'm waiting for the invoice any day now which means they'll be shipping to me then I'll get them out to everyone.

The original date was 4th of July but they evidently couldn't get them into hardcoat anodizing and back out. 
INV136
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2019, 11:01:10 PM »

Great! Thanks for the update.
mike6453
New Posting Member

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2019, 08:03:10 PM »

This is awesome! Take my money! When will they be available on your website to order instead of "pre-order"? The only thing I don't like about my mdr so far is the plastic handguard.

Mike
LeeMajors

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2019, 09:15:53 PM »

lol - there's a pre-order "pay in full" on there as well unless I took it down already. I've been so busy I don't know if I'm coming or going but if it's still there, you're welcome to pre-order at the 20% discount that's on it.  They haven't invoiced me so I'll allow pre-orders until I have to pay with my own money (in addition to pre-order funds) at which point I'll cut off pre-orders.

On a positive note, I got the final machined rail not anodized, which means we're inside a 10 business day countdown to final product.  I'll upload pictures in a bit. 

The down-side, which is why I haven't green-lit the mounting bases, is that my suspicion was correct and there is a *slight* variation we will have to change the mounting bases slightly.  It'll take a few days to re-program the change, machine a prototype base, then mount it on the rifle for final fitment before we green light the bases.

Good positive movement, just always takes a little more than you think.

Pictures shortly.
LeeMajors

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2019, 11:05:51 AM »

Hello all,

Rails will be out of hardcoat anodize and on their way to me Wednesday. That's the good news.

Bad news is there's a slight variation in the width of the rails themselves, about .020" slimmer than the adapter and all the screw holes are off (forward) .015". Once we add hard coat it'll be about .022" we have to take off the adapter width, which is why I couldn't get it fully on the rifle for pictures.

This is also why we didn't machine all the mounting bases yet and although we can easily tweak the bases to account for the rail machining variation, it'll add a week. We've already started on the CAD changes now that I have a machined rail to base it on and should have those done in about a week, then anodized the week after that and back here and shipping.

My apologies for missing 4th of July, but we're in the home stretch now.

I cut the $22,000 check for just the rails this Wednesday. If you want in, this is it. As soon as the check mails, I'm taking pre-orders off the website.

And now, what you really wanted. Pictures! (this is the short version obviously).

reason

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2019, 03:44:39 PM »

Lee, does your RDB rail fit an OSS can?
LeeMajors

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2019, 04:35:20 PM »

Yes, that's what I use on my MDR.  6" BPR module, 4" SRM. 

With M-Lok slots installed on the side, there is 1/8" clearance to the side of the can from the M-Lok screws.  It's about as small as we can make it while still clearing on all sides/angles.
reason

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2019, 07:10:16 PM »

Sorry, I confused you with my off topic question. I was asking about the Keltec  RDB rail.
LeeMajors

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2019, 07:24:02 PM »

Oh, sorry, didn't see that.

The RDB rail fits all standard 1.5" and 1.6" OD cans including the NEW style OSS.  I have a 1.5" M4-2000 suppressor on mine.

I think the old style OSS which I have on my MDR is at 1.76" OD.  It's the hexagonal shell that's the problem, which is why OSS stopped making them that way.  The old hexagonal OSS don't fit in most handguard's ID's.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length