Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 18, 2019, 06:31:47 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Iraqveteran8888 Review of MDR
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Iraqveteran8888 Review of MDR  (Read 786 times)
newguy2k3

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 12:36:49 AM »

That was definitely a sponsored video.   They’ve been outed in the past about their “reviews.”  A lot of positive comments for an expensive, issue-riddled prototype.

I still want the MDR to be great, but it’s a disaster so far.

I kinda got that vibe as well. Noting the issues it had given them but basically reviewing it as if it was what it should be and not what it actually is.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 04:37:37 PM »

Only way their rifle ran was with a suppressor set at high gas...even then the bolt wouldn’t hold open and it was gassy as  censored

Their defense for DT sure sounded paid off though. O well. Good luck to the MDR owners.
I sincerely doubt these guys would jeopardize their credibility and therefore their patreon payer base for whatever meager sum DT may offer them.

They essentially said nothing different from Inrange or GarandThumb and from their limited experience I would say the recommendation for a patrol rifle is premature, but as far as their gun performed and what DT released after the Inrange report they have no reason to think it wouldn't be ready for prime time.

You'd be amazed at how many "patreon" supported channels get hush money from firearm industry companies...I sincerely hope they didn't.

One thing I did notice...the gun ran one mag with a Lancer mag...thats progress....wish the gun would have worked as designed on the suppressor setting vs adverse though...wonder what DT will do to fix the walking out pins...thought they fixed that early on...still the same issues as initial release regarding that...

Who are these channels?  I'm sure that there are more than just myself who would like the benefit of knowing.

As for the pin walking out...I wonder if it was an issue of them taking it down and then not getting the pin fully seated when it was put back together that is the issue.  It looked like when he tried pushing it back in that it never fully seated.

I won't call out other channels because we aren't talking about them...but IV8888 charges money depending on which Tier a company picks to review a product (there are 6 options one can pick)...under his LLC named 88 Industries...that is a known fact...he has a whole advertising/social media program that he sells to manufacturers...known fact...the way the DT review wording went down...I have zero doubt that IV8888 was approached by DT to give it a positive spin on the MDR...heck just watch this video if you don't believe me, go to minute 3:46 and you can see the pamphlet they've used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMSX75EwBFM

It is the known little dirty secret of the gun review community online...some double up with Patreon subscribers as well...

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:40:51 PM by thehun » Logged
Dwill

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 05:43:31 PM »

Just watched it and all I can say is WOW!  They had to run it on position 6 WITH a suppressor to get it to be more or less reliable.  Since 6 is the biggest opening, that means positions 1-5 are useless, plus they didn’t run it without a suppressor, so would it have run as it did at 6 without a suppressor?  A lot of the video seems like a DT sponsored apology tour.  Many references to people need to expect teething problems with a new gun, acknowleding problems with “early” guns, but how DT is committed to making it right, blah-blah.  Even calling out Inrange for using only one type of ammo in their test.  I would have loved to see the case rims on those fired rounds, but of course they didn’t show that.  Best part was mentioning that the rear takedown pin keeps walking out.  With full gas and a suppressor, I’m sure that doesn’t indicate anything bad going on.........

Notice they didn’t say anything about the recoil.  I thought mine with the 2018 plug on position 5 was harsh, so I can’t wait for the 2019 on the “normal” position 4, which is the 2018 position 6.  With them constantly changing gas plugs, I’m wondering if they’ve had time to do long term tests on the gun to see how it handles thousands of rounds with the larger gas settings before it starts breaking things.  I’m betting not.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 06:46:26 PM »

They did state they couldn't get the gun to eject without using a suppressor...
Box

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 07:35:17 PM »

How much did IV8888 charge DT for that video?

It was honestly ridiculous.   Pay them $$$, and they’re willing to overlook a lot.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 08:51:33 PM »

According to their pamphlet there are 6 tiers a manufacturer can chose from...usually a "featured" video is around $4000...
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 09:00:50 PM »

According to their pamphlet there are 6 tiers a manufacturer can chose from...usually a "featured" video is around $4000...

Damn, they have a pricing pamphlet?

AE
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 11:11:01 PM »

Yes. 6 levels or they call them tiers.
Potss
^

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 08:42:18 AM »

Oh look, a shill paid to push product.  More shameful s*** from DT.
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 08:52:08 AM »

Too bad it doesn't cycle reliably enough for them to do one of the shoot it till it fails video. With a Bullpup that may be a little dangerous.

AE
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 10:01:12 AM by Aussie E » Logged
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 08:56:28 AM »

Did they design the gun solely around their brand match ammo?
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 09:39:56 AM »

Honestly, that's what it looks like.

This is more than a gas system issue. It looks like DT did some sort of math error when designing it and all the springs and parts are simply too heavy.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2019, 09:45:50 AM »

Looking at how tight the chamber is...yes...I have been saying this since it was released... Grin but some...again...told me I don't know since I don't "own" one.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2019, 09:47:59 AM »

Honestly, that's what it looks like.

This is more than a gas system issue. It looks like DT did some sort of math error when designing it and all the springs and parts are simply too heavy.

The springs are too heavy and the BCG assembly is way too light...add that the chamber is freaking tight as tight can get...you get the MDR 308...a good looking...unreliable ninja toy.

I think you will see some improvements on this after DT blows through all their bulk purchased parts...hopefully...maybe...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 11:52:15 AM by thehun » Logged
NothisisPatrick

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2019, 11:51:49 AM »

one thing I found strange about these review guns is that their issues have not really been seen outside the review guns. Dropping magazines, torn cases and problems with the charging handles seem to be more common with the older guns. 3 of these new press guns seem to have had issues with the ejection chute, did any of them report any problems that are common with the older guns and I just missed it?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length