Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 25, 2019, 11:24:47 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Iraqveteran8888 Review of MDR
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Iraqveteran8888 Review of MDR  (Read 2361 times)
JFPUP

« on: February 13, 2019, 10:18:41 AM »

https://youtu.be/UpmMD5QBgds
spector762

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 10:28:04 AM »

O dam I don't even want to see it
JFPUP

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 10:37:49 AM »

It's pretty generous...
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 10:40:11 AM »

According to them it still chokes without a suppressor and they still had problems with a suppressor unless it was on Setting 5/6...not good....ejection is still a problem without a can....that is a big problem....so the new plug's normal setting is the setting 6 on the old...which still had problems with iraqiveteran8888 without a can with ejection.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes...and it doesn't lock open on empties with a suppressor on setting 5/6...haha

We know the MDR loves suppressors because of the additional velocity...I am afraid the new plug's normal setting being the old adverse setting...the gun will beat itself to death in a matter of time...

Hey...the takedown pin still walks out after over a year in production...

Very much a NATO ready battle rifle  Evil

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:43:30 AM by thehun » Logged
EWTHeckman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 02:01:27 PM »

It's pretty generous...

That was my thought as well. They are really generous by describing "a really high quality rifle" in spite of the problems.

The good news is that they didn't experience any failures other than not locking back and the pin walking. But that was with extra suppressor back pressure and full gas. They also had really good accuracy and no major rim damage.

I personally was willing to give DT that benefit of the doubt with the delays to fix such problems prior to release, and even after release I expected some issues. But a "high quality rifle" should not have this level of problems and multiple "stab-in-the-dark" "solutions" this long after release. This isn't a rifle that's reliable enough to trust in defense of my life or my family.

I still like the basic design and would like to get one someday. But I've already spent my money to build a "trust my life" rifle (that happens to be about 2 pounds lighter, to boot). If they ever get it to that level of reliability, I may buy one if I can spare the extra coin. At this point that's all it would be; an extra.
spector762

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 02:25:42 PM »

It's pretty generous...

That was my thought as well. They are really generous by describing "a really high quality rifle" in spite of the problems.

The good news is that they didn't experience any failures other than not locking back and the pin walking. But that was with extra suppressor back pressure and full gas. They also had really good accuracy and no major rim damage.

I personally was willing to give DT that benefit of the doubt with the delays to fix such problems prior to release, and even after release I expected some issues. But a "high quality rifle" should not have this level of problems and multiple "stab-in-the-dark" "solutions" this long after release. This isn't a rifle that's reliable enough to trust in defense of my life or my family.

I still like the basic design and would like to get one someday. But I've already spent my money to build a "trust my life" rifle (that happens to be about 2 pounds lighter, to boot). If they ever get it to that level of reliability, I may buy one if I can spare the extra coin. At this point that's all it would be; an extra.
i wouldnt be surprised if it was given extra attention to detail before it shipped  because he said the trigger was 4 pounds i agree i wish he wouldn't have embellished it and said high quality and just said it has a lot of potential 
NothisisPatrick

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 02:28:17 PM »

Keep in mind that iv8888 aren't as invested in the rifle as we have been, they didn't follow every detail of the slow slow release and every missed deadline and their own money tied up in a rifle thats been back to the factory 3 times for warranty.

I don't think they are aware of how severe and wide spread some of the issues have been.
spector762

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 02:39:09 PM »

Keep in mind that iv8888 aren't as invested in the rifle as we have been, they didn't follow every detail of the slow slow release and every missed deadline and their own money tied up in a rifle thats been back to the factory 3 times for warranty.

I don't think they are aware of how severe and wide spread some of the issues have been.
plus they just love guns its like my one mennonite uncle he will never really say anything bad about something or someone he always focuses on the good despite someone screwing him over
Tvfreakarms
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 03:28:38 PM »

And remember they get paid to promote. So,  they are biased. That's another way for them to make a living. Even they don't mention it.
TYM like him or hate him, but at least he calls people out.
Don't get me wrong I still like iv8888

LLAP

EWTHeckman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 04:43:18 PM »

And remember they get paid to promote. So,  they are biased. That's another way for them to make a living. Even they don't mention it.

LLAP

They didn't hide the problems. I can see why they would say it's a high quality rifle, because in many ways it actually is. The one I held at the GAO show a fews years ago felt very solid. Eric and Chad haven't lost any respect from me for that.

But IMHO, no matter how precisely machined a set of high quality materials are, you can't call it "really high quality" if it doesn't function reliably. If DT resolves the problems, then it will deserve that description.
Tvfreakarms
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 04:46:40 PM »

LLAP

They didn't hide the problems. I can see why they would say it's a high quality rifle, because in many ways it actually is. The one I held at the GAO show a fews years ago felt very solid. Eric and Chad haven't lost any respect from me for that.

But IMHO, no matter how precisely machined a set of high quality materials are, you can't call it "really high quality" if it doesn't function reliably. If DT resolves the problems, then it will deserve that description.
I didn't mean for them to be totally biased. It would be terrible for them to be. Especially there are known problems. And it would make them look bad if they do.

LLAP

thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 05:08:42 PM »

Only way their rifle ran was with a suppressor set at high gas...even then the bolt wouldn’t hold open and it was gassy as  censored

Their defense for DT sure sounded paid off though. O well. Good luck to the MDR owners.
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 05:53:02 PM »

.308 or 5.56?
NothisisPatrick

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 06:08:14 PM »

Only way their rifle ran was with a suppressor set at high gas...even then the bolt wouldn’t hold open and it was gassy as  censored

Their defense for DT sure sounded paid off though. O well. Good luck to the MDR owners.
I sincerely doubt these guys would jeopardize their credibility and therefore their patreon payer base for whatever meager sum DT may offer them.

They essentially said nothing different from Inrange or GarandThumb and from their limited experience I would say the recommendation for a patrol rifle is premature, but as far as their gun performed and what DT released after the Inrange report they have no reason to think it wouldn't be ready for prime time.

fjkhoury01

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 06:34:59 PM »

the bolt wouldn't lock back cause they held the bolt release down with their support hand...
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 07:27:21 PM »

Only way their rifle ran was with a suppressor set at high gas...even then the bolt wouldn’t hold open and it was gassy as  censored

I sincerely doubt these guys would jeopardize their credibility and therefore their patreon payer base for whatever meager sum DT may offer them.

They essentially said nothing different from Inrange or GarandThumb and from their limited experience I would say the recommendation for a patrol rifle is premature, but as far as their gun performed and what DT released after the Inrange report they have no reason to think it wouldn't be ready for prime time.

You'd be amazed at how many "patreon" supported channels get hush money from firearm industry companies...I sincerely hope they didn't.

One thing I did notice...the gun ran one mag with a Lancer mag...thats progress....wish the gun would have worked as designed on the suppressor setting vs adverse though...wonder what DT will do to fix the walking out pins...thought they fixed that early on...still the same issues as initial release regarding that...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:30:51 PM by thehun » Logged
kfeltenberger
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 07:39:42 PM »

the bolt wouldn't lock back cause they held the bolt release down with their support hand...

That was my thought...magically it worked when they had to lift it off the bags when they used the Lancer mag.

Kurt
kfeltenberger
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 07:41:40 PM »

You'd be amazed at how many "patreon" supported channels get hush money from firearm industry companies...I sincerely hope they didn't.

One thing I did notice...the gun ran one mag with a Lancer mag...thats progress....wish the gun would have worked as designed on the suppressor setting vs adverse though...wonder what DT will do to fix the walking out pins...thought they fixed that early on...still the same issues as initial release regarding that...

Who are these channels?  I'm sure that there are more than just myself who would like the benefit of knowing.

As for the pin walking out...I wonder if it was an issue of them taking it down and then not getting the pin fully seated when it was put back together that is the issue.  It looked like when he tried pushing it back in that it never fully seated.

Kurt
Box

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 11:10:27 PM »

That was definitely a sponsored video.   They’ve been outed in the past about their “reviews.”  A lot of positive comments for an expensive, issue-riddled prototype.

I still want the MDR to be great, but it’s a disaster so far.
whiskey91lima

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 12:33:31 AM »

They also had a media gun. 🤷‍♂️
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length