Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2019, 04:03:22 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  So, Round handguard project, is anyone even interested?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: So, Round handguard project, is anyone even interested?  (Read 1643 times)
whitetail

« on: February 08, 2019, 08:25:21 PM »

I remember all the threads of people wanting the original round handguard, I know there are purists who are gonna be all "I only want the REAL thing" And then there are people who want a facsimile of it to do such things as a Integral suppressed model like the 9mm SMG variant has. Because I don't get very many replies to the threads I have posted on this project, and I'm wondering now as I get closer to it being done, how many people are Truly interested?

Here is what I have now, Still working on the side scallops, those are giving me the most trouble. Added Two Mlok slots to the 12 o clock position, this allows you to add a rail like the factory model. I have also added a single Mlok slot to the underside for a Vertical foregrip if one so desires, with the front lip I doubt you will be able to use a light or laser at this position (6 o-clock).

Final production model will be 3d printed out of carbon fiber reinforced nylon. This should hold up fine to 9mm heat, but I am not sure I would be able to guarantee it on a 5.56 to hold up to multiple mag dumps, Speaking of heat,  I will be adding a metal heatshield to the inside of these when final to resist heat and hopefully protect the handguard.

If anyone is really interested please, reply to this thread, my initial plans MAY be to have 10 produced.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:41:44 PM by whitetail » Logged
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 01:53:12 AM »

As I've said previously, I think your work on this is truly amazing, quality work. I personally have no interest in the hand guard itself, but I love to watch the innovation.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
DubageL

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 07:26:32 AM »

Yes still interested.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 12:05:45 PM »

i'm interested...pm sent w/inquiry
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 09:01:05 PM »

I know there are purists who are gonna be all "I only want the REAL thing"

If anyone is really interested please, reply to this thread, my initial plans MAY be to have 10 produced.

Guilty as charged--I'm a gun parts fundamentalist.  Roll Eyes

It isn't about being a purist--it's about being a realist. I don't want a 3d-printed handguard on a 5.56 rifle that I'll be shooting prone, in the dirt, in the hot sun, during training classes, hunting, etc. No 3D-printed plastic material will come close to the durability of the OEM polymer. If you're able to offer these injection-molded, then we'll have a different conversation.

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 12:32:22 AM »

No 3D-printed plastic material will come close to the durability of the OEM polymer. If you're able to offer these injection-molded, then we'll have a different conversation.
Don't be too quick to dismiss the capabilities of modern 3D printing. I was just at a conference and witnessed a carbon fiber impregnated nylon print that I wouldn't hesitate to put up against any molded part. Of course that material is a tad more expensive.

If printed on the right machine and with the right material, Mr. whitetail's part will hold up to all but the most severe treatment. Even so, this is not an easy print. Still, it can be good.

Freedom isn't free.
Hijeffrey95

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 01:47:33 AM »

Im in for one
DubageL

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 10:41:52 AM »

The 3D printed material we are using on the aircraft parts is pretty impressive.
pyroxide

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 12:05:30 PM »

Very much interested, here.

BTW what is the inside diameter?
pyroxide

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 12:24:04 PM »

No 3D-printed plastic material will come close to the durability of the OEM polymer. If you're able to offer these injection-molded, then we'll have a different conversation.
Don't be too quick to dismiss the capabilities of modern 3D printing. I was just at a conference and witnessed a carbon fiber impregnated nylon print that I wouldn't hesitate to put up against any molded part. Of course that material is a tad more expensive.

If printed on the right machine and with the right material, Mr. whitetail's part will hold up to all but the most severe treatment. Even so, this is not an easy print. Still, it can be good.

There is no doubt Matterhackers NylonX is the perfect material for 3D printing of firearm parts.

The price isn't the problem. It's getting it to print right. A Garolite/Phenolic build plate works best for first layer adhesion. With all of this priced out, it's still very cheap to print stuff. The cost per part is still well under $30 to make.

I bought the stuff to print receivers with, but my entry-level printer had troubles, still. There are many variables in 3D printing, and mine had more with its open frame design and slow print speed.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 08:02:12 PM »

I'm aware of the capabilities of 3D printers. I have one. 3D-printed parts can certainly be very durable, but I stand by my assertion than a 3D-printed version of this handguard will not come close to the OEM specs. Even printed in carbon-fiber impregnated nylon, it will not be as durable as the original. Injection molding provides a different molecular structure; 3D printing consists of numerous fused layers. It's like having one giant forged piece vs. a piece made of multiple sheets welded together. Both can be strong, but the forged piece is always stronger overall. I'm concerned about a handguard like this cracking along the print lines if it were dropped, but hey, go prove me wrong. If printed correctly, it might be durable enough for the average person. I won't stop pestering IWI until they release the originals, however. You could also use your developing design skills to create your own original handguard too...

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 11:55:04 PM »

Clearly there are some printing methods you haven't seen. Just a few days ago I saw a printed part that I couldn't break and trust me, I tried.

What I find most curious is that you don't even want to see this part. If I can be printed, it can be molded. I would think you'd be super interested in seeing this one through. Oh well, I'm sure others will enjoy it.

Freedom isn't free.
pyroxide

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 07:13:50 AM »

I'm aware of the capabilities of 3D printers. I have one. 3D-printed parts can certainly be very durable, but I stand by my assertion than a 3D-printed version of this handguard will not come close to the OEM specs. Even printed in carbon-fiber impregnated nylon, it will not be as durable as the original. Injection molding provides a different molecular structure; 3D printing consists of numerous fused layers. It's like having one giant forged piece vs. a piece made of multiple sheets welded together. Both can be strong, but the forged piece is always stronger overall. I'm concerned about a handguard like this cracking along the print lines if it were dropped, but hey, go prove me wrong. If printed correctly, it might be durable enough for the average person. I won't stop pestering IWI until they release the originals, however. You could also use your developing design skills to create your own original handguard too...

Delamination happens because of a temperature differential in the layers, and is avoidable with a good printer.
konigstigerii

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 01:23:38 PM »

I think 3d printed parts is misunderstood. Most people are familiar with the inexpensive ones that most people buy to make stupid s***. There are a huge range of 3d printing capabilities....Companies are making 3d printed silencers, and companies like Nexus tactical have been making handguards for the ACR, that have withstood competition use and full auto use. I've had parts printed, such as gas pistons for the X95 and gas blocks...along with some hand guards and other small parts such as safeties for the ACR.

I think the handguard is cool. If I get around to buying a 9mm conversion kit and SBR my X95 I would buy one, but it wouldn't be for a long time as I have other projects I'm working on Smiley

whitetail

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 07:51:10 PM »

Very much interested, here.

BTW what is the inside diameter?

If I remember correctly, its 2" diameter.
whitetail

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 07:52:28 PM »

As you can see I've already slightly deviated by going with Mlok slots in the top and bottom. I have some ideas for a custom handguard for those guys with 16" guns as soon as I get this complete, and the back half fitting 100% So I can model the new front end.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 11:24:26 PM »

lol...dude where does the OP specify for those not interested in a CUSTOM<>non-oem handguard project....post here?  you'll never see oem ever here and i doubt you're traversing the harshest of environments here with you're gun.  get behind this dude instead of doubting 3d printed substrates that'll likely withstand more than your gun will ever go through at the range.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:26:55 PM by HBeretta » Logged
whitetail

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 06:25:56 AM »

See post below.

* newstock v19.jpg (41.18 KB, 1920x781 - viewed 49 times.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:28:34 AM by whitetail » Logged
whitetail

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 06:28:11 AM »

Heres the pics of what I sent to print, the scallop isn't the same as the factory handguard, however it gives you a ledge for your thumb to go on. Just realized I posted a pic twice, and apparently the site editor wont allow me to remove pics.

* handguardleft.png (89.97 KB, 1920x781 - viewed 61 times.)

* newstockleft.png (156.82 KB, 1920x781 - viewed 61 times.)

* newstock v19.jpg (41.18 KB, 1920x781 - viewed 61 times.)

* handguardleft.png (89.97 KB, 1920x781 - viewed 60 times.)
DubageL

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 06:52:28 AM »

Looks awesome!!!  Iíve been toying around in my head how to make the front close out disk for the 5.56 barrel. Eventually like everything else, the IDF will surplus those round handguards. It may be 10+ years and they will be worn, but itíll happen.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length