Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 20, 2019, 08:23:16 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  So, Round handguard project, is anyone even interested?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: So, Round handguard project, is anyone even interested?  (Read 1370 times)
whitetail

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 08:26:56 AM »

Looks awesome!!!  Iíve been toying around in my head how to make the front close out disk for the 5.56 barrel. Eventually like everything else, the IDF will surplus those round handguards. It may be 10+ years and they will be worn, but itíll happen.

I have been told by someone in the know that they were all thrown into dumpsters by the box full.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 09:00:52 PM »

lol...dude where does the OP specify for those not interested in a CUSTOM<>non-oem handguard project....post here?  you'll never see oem ever here and i doubt you're traversing the harshest of environments here with you're gun.  get behind this dude instead of doubting 3d printed substrates that'll likely withstand more than your gun will ever go through at the range.

Don't presume to know where/how I use my firearms. I don't want an equipment failure anywhere--whether that be in a class, on a hunt, at the range, at home, etc. The "purist" comment is what prompted my participation in this thread. I felt like I was personally being called out on that one.

I started the petition thread to IWI here a few years ago. People know I want these handguards as badly as anyone else. But I'm not going to settle for something just because it looks similar. Whitetail's design is coming along well, but I hope that he considers a different manufacturing process. Also, there are details to the handguard that you can improve, Whitetail. There are ways of designing that scallop on the side. You're also missing the tabs for the front sight post and holes for screws here and there. Keep going and eventually you'll have a very close replica.

I just find this whole situation with IWI extremely strange. At first, IWI told us to relax and that they were getting some of these in. Then nothing. Then fast forward a couple years and "oh, that's being discontinued." Now Whitetail is saying they've been throwing out the remaining inventory of these that they have? Excuse for me being skeptical, but who is your source there, Whitetail? That makes ZERO sense to throw them out. What, is there some conspiracy going on over at IWI IL to rid the world of the round X95 handguards? To frustrate us Americans? I mean, if they're moving to the newer style with rails, why not at least keep these around because they allow integral suppression, which the new ones don't? If they're going to throw things out, why don't they throw out all the original TAR-21s too, since they're using the X95s now?

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 09:07:45 PM »

lol...dude where does the OP specify for those not interested in a CUSTOM<>non-oem handguard project....post here?  you'll never see oem ever here and i doubt you're traversing the harshest of environments here with you're gun.  get behind this dude instead of doubting 3d printed substrates that'll likely withstand more than your gun will ever go through at the range.

One other thing--this isn't just a custom handguard. It's a REPLICA of the OEM IWI round handguard. It's not like I just dropped in out of the blue to rain on some guy's parade who is designing his own original handguard for the X95. I've been hoping for an X95 with this handguard since before IWI even announced they'd be selling X95s in the U.S. Obviously, when someone comes along trying to make a replica of it, I'm going to be paying attention.

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
pyroxide

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 07:45:19 AM »

One other thing--this isn't just a custom handguard. It's a REPLICA of the OEM IWI round handguard. It's not like I just dropped in out of the blue to rain on some guy's parade who is designing his own original handguard for the X95. I've been hoping for an X95 with this handguard since before IWI even announced they'd be selling X95s in the U.S. Obviously, when someone comes along trying to make a replica of it, I'm going to be paying attention.
From what I've seen in this thread, people find the 3D printing process satisfactory. I, similarly, would prefer a stronger product, but as long as it serves a purpose and is functional, it is fine with me. I would like to see the models released, especially since whitetail's objective is only to produce a few. This way, someone could potentially make another on the off chance that he or she breaks it.

However, I don't like the idea of the using an M-LOK rail on the top of any handguard. My modelling skills are good enough to change that, but I have yet to see a handguard for an AR that only has M-LOK rails and no 1913 Picatinny on the top. Perhaps the justification is because a mounted front BUI wouldn't stay zero. But who in their right mind would think otherwise? I also think the front hand stop is less than pleasing to the eye and would rather see a full length Picatinny or M-LOK rail on the bottom to allow the most versatility in choice and position of VFGs. That's just me, though.

I have faith that the end result will be well-received regardless of my suggestions.
whitetail

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 11:39:57 AM »

lol...dude where does the OP specify for those not interested in a CUSTOM<>non-oem handguard project....post here?  you'll never see oem ever here and i doubt you're traversing the harshest of environments here with you're gun.  get behind this dude instead of doubting 3d printed substrates that'll likely withstand more than your gun will ever go through at the range.

Don't presume to know where/how I use my firearms. I don't want an equipment failure anywhere--whether that be in a class, on a hunt, at the range, at home, etc. The "purist" comment is what prompted my participation in this thread. I felt like I was personally being called out on that one.

I started the petition thread to IWI here a few years ago. People know I want these handguards as badly as anyone else. But I'm not going to settle for something just because it looks similar. Whitetail's design is coming along well, but I hope that he considers a different manufacturing process. Also, there are details to the handguard that you can improve, Whitetail. There are ways of designing that scallop on the side. You're also missing the tabs for the front sight post and holes for screws here and there. Keep going and eventually you'll have a very close replica.

I just find this whole situation with IWI extremely strange. At first, IWI told us to relax and that they were getting some of these in. Then nothing. Then fast forward a couple years and "oh, that's being discontinued." Now Whitetail is saying they've been throwing out the remaining inventory of these that they have? Excuse for me being skeptical, but who is your source there, Whitetail? That makes ZERO sense to throw them out. What, is there some conspiracy going on over at IWI IL to rid the world of the round X95 handguards? To frustrate us Americans? I mean, if they're moving to the newer style with rails, why not at least keep these around because they allow integral suppression, which the new ones don't? If they're going to throw things out, why don't they throw out all the original TAR-21s too, since they're using the X95s now?

The source of that info was an IDF soldier, who was involved in throwing boxes of them into a dumpster.
I mean, even Jeremy who went to ISI israel from IWI us wasnt able to get them to bring into the US.

I leff the front sight assembly out of this because, what are you going to use as a rear sight, on the IDf models its mounted very low it seems from the collection of photos i have grabbed, or is being used as a front anchor for the Top rail, or is being blocked by an optic. I’m using a gearhead top rail so the front sight assembly isnt very useful to me. As i said i started out to make a clone of it, and its slowly turned into my own vision of a modernized version. With the Mlok attachment points, but keeping that round handguard Aesthetic, and allowing me to build a copy of the X95 Suppressed SMG. Which is why i omitted the front barrel enclosure as well.

Btw, the carbon fiber reinforced nylon filament i plan on having it printed out of is used by a gwntlemen to make rails and tailhook adapters, which see a good bit of abuse i would assume.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 11:57:27 AM by whitetail » Logged
DubageL

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2019, 12:25:12 PM »

With using the M-lock, you can also still get a 1913 pic-rail section and just attach to the handguard. Personally, I would have FedExed the stuff tossed in the garbage bin to the US. Lol
whitetail

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2019, 02:16:16 PM »

With using the M-lock, you can also still get a 1913 pic-rail section and just attach to the handguard. Personally, I would have FedExed the stuff tossed in the garbage bin to the US. Lol

Having Mlok ontop allows you to use a pic rail, just like the idf model having a rail section up top, one single slot intended dor a Magpul MVG is on the bottom.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2019, 08:11:35 PM »

The source of that info was an IDF soldier, who was involved in throwing boxes of them into a dumpster.
I mean, even Jeremy who went to ISI israel from IWI us wasnt able to get them to bring into the US.

I leff the front sight assembly out of this because, what are you going to use as a rear sight, on the IDf models its mounted very low it seems from the collection of photos i have grabbed, or is being used as a front anchor for the Top rail, or is being blocked by an optic. Iím using a gearhead top rail so the front sight assembly isnt very useful to me. As i said i started out to make a clone of it, and its slowly turned into my own vision of a modernized version. With the Mlok attachment points, but keeping that round handguard Aesthetic, and allowing me to build a copy of the X95 Suppressed SMG. Which is why i omitted the front barrel enclosure as well.

Btw, the carbon fiber reinforced nylon filament i plan on having it printed out of is used by a gwntlemen to make rails and tailhook adapters, which see a good bit of abuse i would assume.

You have a friend in the IDF? I guess he didn't have a choice to salvage them? Surely he has to know that these things would fetch quite a price. I thought someone here said the IDF basically never throws things away. It just doesn't make any sense...

I don't know the Jeremy you speak of, but IWI US was able to get at least some round handguards from Israel. There is proof of that if you watch Colion Noir's video shooting the .300 Blackout X95, as well as Larry Vicker's video on the X95. I just wish I knew what the big deal is about getting us more of the original IDF-style parts. They did that with the original SAR at least, even if it was missing the paracord sling loop.

I have an IDF gas block on my X95 with built-in rear sight, so I'd be able to use the front sight to work with that. You could include the tabs for a proper look, even if you don't plan to mount a front sight there, but if you're moving towards tweaking it overall with more elements of your own design, then hey, the sky is the limit there.

I simply refuse to give up on IWI. If two years from now--2021, IWI still refuses to sell these to us, I will design a replica and have it injection molded myself. I want to give them time to do it because it would be a lot of design and machining work on my end, and I'd rather just have the real thing. But as a last resort, I will not hesitate to do that. I'll find a way to get this thing done eventually.

Anyway, I won't be posting here any more so as to not further derail Whitetail's thread/distract from his work.

Rastoff

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2019, 09:56:00 PM »

You have a friend in the IDF? I guess he didn't have a choice to salvage them? Surely he has to know that these things would fetch quite a price.
I don't know how the IDF works, but in the US military you can go to prison for using government assets for personal gain. Yes, even if you take them out of the trash. So, maybe his contact did know that they were valuable, but valued his career more than a few dollars.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
whitetail

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 08:06:30 AM »

So, this has gone through quite a few revisions as you can see in the thread here, but i have gotten almost to the end, this is nearly the final version, and iím kinda glad, now i was still having issues with the tab fitting, and it didnt fit on this one so in the pic where its on the gun if you look closely i had to cut the tab off, but i did a quick and dirty print last night with the tab moved and Got it in position, so a bit of shaping the bottom tonight and we should be in business.

This handguard is 100% more comfortable than the factory one. Its very ergonomic versus the square handguard and i dont even feel the need to use a VFG on it, but there is an Mlok slot if you want too.

DubageL

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 10:32:45 AM »

Nice!!! Doing my sbr trust today. The fronts indexed to work with the factory 5.56 short barrel so the flash hider wonít be enclosed inside of it?
whitetail

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2019, 10:58:22 AM »

Nice!!! Doing my sbr trust today. The fronts indexed to work with the factory 5.56 short barrel so the flash hider wonít be enclosed inside of it?

i have to shorten it just a bit as i found out it extends a bit over the FH. The othwr issue is that iím not sure how hot 9mm or 5.56 gets i have to do some temperature tests to see how hot the barrels do get.
Rastoff

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 11:56:22 AM »

Looking good!

Freedom isn't free.
RebellionOnIce

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2019, 08:02:57 PM »

You got skillz! Turned out great.
whitetail

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 08:56:39 PM »

Btw, it feels super comfortable in the hand.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2019, 12:44:17 AM »

nice job man.
Rastoff

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2019, 11:34:15 AM »

Did you print it as one piece? If so, you might consider printing the tab as a separate piece and attaching it afterward. I think the tab part would benefit from printing in a different direction.

Freedom isn't free.
whitetail

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2019, 11:47:10 AM »

Did you print it as one piece? If so, you might consider printing the tab as a separate piece and attaching it afterward. I think the tab part would benefit from printing in a different direction.

All one piece, i finally got the tab location correct however.
Hijeffrey95

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2019, 04:15:16 AM »

Would it be possible to take a round handguard off a airsoft X95 and put that on a real X95? The plastic probably couldnt handle the heat but do they attach the same way?
whitetail

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2019, 12:01:34 PM »

Would it be possible to take a round handguard off a airsoft X95 and put that on a real X95? The plastic probably couldnt handle the heat but do they attach the same way?

The only airsoft X95 has a handguard that is molded as part pf the body.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length