Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 17, 2019, 10:35:09 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Precision/Long Range Bullpups (Heavy Calibers)
| |-+  Desert Tactical Arms SRS, SRS Covert, HTI
| | |-+  DTS Covert in 308 - Bolt Problems!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DTS Covert in 308 - Bolt Problems!  (Read 994 times)
PJT

« on: February 07, 2019, 07:03:38 PM »

Hi, just experienced a missfire on my DTS. inspection of the primer showed a light strike, previous two rounds also appeared to have been lighter strikes, but those rounds fired. Stripped the bolts and everything appears to be ok, nothing broken, no dirt or debris. Only anomally was that the endcap spring seat appears to be slightly rounded, such that the spring does not sit square on the seat so the cap can "rock" on the spring. When reassembling the unit and cocking decocking the bolt the mechanism appeared to "bind". Gave the bolt a tap on the bench and the binding stopped. Could not work out if the binding was the end cap in the Sleeve or the Striker in the Sleeve or Bolt body. Has anyone had any similar problems or ideas? Rgds Phil
whiskey91lima

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 07:33:25 PM »

I have not experienced this problem, but first a few elaborating questions:
  • Gen 1, A1, or A2?
  • How many rounds have you shot with this bolt?
  • Reload ammo? If so, what primers do you use and how do you seat your primers?
  • Have you contacted DT warranty?

In my experience, DT will do warranty work long after the factory warranty has expired.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:35:56 PM by whiskey91lima » Logged
PJT

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 07:53:54 PM »

Hi '91, Rifle was bought second habd, serial No starts with SRS so believe it be to an early model, Think that there were only 450 rounds before I got hold of it an I've put 140 through it, Ammo being used was manufacturers Norma. Never had a problem with this ammunition and I've used it for a number of years with other rifle. Problem just happened today so in process of contacting DT, but had an early query about Bolt sleeve moving forward and preventing cocking of bolt if I was too energetic when cycling bolt. DT were not vey helpful, but how they could ignore such a problem on a firearm which they promote as being good for Tactical use by military or civilian enforcement purposes is beyond me, still have the problem on occassion just live with it now, but will try them and see if I get a response.

Cheers,

Phil
whiskey91lima

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 12:22:00 AM »

Hi '91, Rifle was bought second habd, serial No starts with SRS so believe it be to an early model, Think that there were only 450 rounds before I got hold of it an I've put 140 through it, Ammo being used was manufacturers Norma. Never had a problem with this ammunition and I've used it for a number of years with other rifle. Problem just happened today so in process of contacting DT, but had an early query about Bolt sleeve moving forward and preventing cocking of bolt if I was too energetic when cycling bolt. DT were not vey helpful, but how they could ignore such a problem on a firearm which they promote as being good for Tactical use by military or civilian enforcement purposes is beyond me, still have the problem on occassion just live with it now, but will try them and see if I get a response.

Cheers,

Phil

Something sounds off. Could you record a video cycling the action?

Take pictures too. I'm curious if the bolt is assembled correctly.
PJT

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 09:31:51 AM »

Will do, may take a couple of days, thanks.
PJT

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 07:58:40 PM »

Hi Whiskey91lima, sorry for the delay in responding. Work unfortunately interferred with play and been checking manuals and Bolt, but had also posted a query on Primal Rights who asked a telling question about the cycling problem I was having.

However to respond to your query about the Bolt assembly, thankfully I had assembled it correctly, as per manual which is not all that good, but configuration corresponds to photo's in manual. Please see photos of my Bolt. Am at a loss as to why it appeared to be sticking on reassembly, but now appears to be free enough. As for misfires/light strikes as everything was clean It may well be operator error in not rotating bolt fully. Will try again with a bit more care when I can get to the range.

As for the cycling problem I mentioned, Orkan from PR mentioned a sleeve stop screw. Inspection has revealed that there was a plastic screw fitted which was flush with the receiver bolt channel so it was not stopping anything, this allowed the sleeve to move forward, on occasion, and prevent the bolt from turning as the bolt endcap detent pin did not clear the long axial slot in the sleeve. All I have to do now is to try to source a sleeve stop screw.

Thanks for your assistance, regards Phil

* 2019-02-11 13.41.12.jpg (1673.93 KB, 4208x3120 - viewed 69 times.)

* 2019-02-11 13.40.02.jpg (1774.07 KB, 4208x3120 - viewed 81 times.)
whiskey91lima

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 02:54:24 PM »

That looks like an older bolt design than the bolt in my A1. I'll take some pictures of mine for you tonight.
whiskey91lima

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 11:52:32 PM »

Here's my .308 A1 bolt.

* IMG_20190212_204756.jpg (4831.67 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 74 times.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:58:28 PM by whiskey91lima » Logged
PJT

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 12:15:17 PM »

Hi, Wiskey91Lima, Yes your bolt is the Gen 2 I believe. In discussion with DT, the light strikes I've experienced may be a function of its age and usage. Which tends to raise the question about how many rounds have gone through it. Unfortunately there was no log book with it, just hearsay. Trying to decide weather to upgrade to the G2 bolt or fit a new spring.

thanks again for your help,
Phil
whiskey91lima

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 02:41:11 PM »

If you can get new parts, I'd do that. Though I do wonder if the Gen 2 is designed to have a longer lifetime or not.
coldboremiracle

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »

In my experience, 99% of the time you get a light strike that cannot be repeated on a regular basis, is because the bolt was bumped slightly up from the closed position. One of the few negatives about the bullpup design is that it is pretty easy to bump the bolt up with the back of your hand while maneuvering or even sitting on a bench. If you bump it up slightly before shooting, much of the energy from the firing pin spring is used to snap the bolt shut, and thereby causes a light strike. This is easily reproduced (with an empty chamber) to see how it happens. I think it is likely that you may have unknowingly done this, and that is all that happened. Just make sure your bolt handle is completely down bwfore firing.

Also, nothing wrong with the Gen 1 or 2 bolts, I actually prefer them.

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
PJT

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 01:00:16 AM »

Hi Coldbore, thanks for the info. As it happens there appear to be problems in the UK getting parts so have not as yet had to fork out any money. I have been waiting to get to the range and had machined a washer to insert in the Bolt to provide a bit more spring compression. Before doing anything will try "Bumping the Bolt" and see if I can cause a misfire. before inserting the washer. Nice to get feedback on the G1 Bolt, will advise on results after "Testing".
coldboremiracle

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 10:48:00 AM »

Hi Coldbore, thanks for the info. As it happens there appear to be problems in the UK getting parts so have not as yet had to fork out any money. I have been waiting to get to the range and had machined a washer to insert in the Bolt to provide a bit more spring compression. Before doing anything will try "Bumping the Bolt" and see if I can cause a misfire. before inserting the washer. Nice to get feedback on the G1 Bolt, will advise on results after "Testing".
I wouldn't recommend testing with a live round, perhaps just a primed brass?

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length