Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 19, 2019, 02:14:43 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Bushmaster M17s
| | |-+  Does the M17 need the shroud and cup to keep the POA from shifting?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Does the M17 need the shroud and cup to keep the POA from shifting?  (Read 1066 times)
Epeeist

« on: January 28, 2019, 04:59:12 PM »

So I am going through and doing some upgrades to my old Gen 2 M17.  Once I had it down to the bare extrusion/upper receiver to drill and tap it for the K&M Rail (excellent by the way, and their trigger upgrade is a must have) I was kind of amazed that the only thing keeping the barrel true was the nut and washer pressing it into one hole.  

I was thinking originally that I would leave the cap and barrel shroud off to save weight and increase airflow over the barrel and gas system.  Now I am wondering if part of the purpose of the shroud and cap is to basically hold the barrel in place so that it does not shift its POA if it is dropped or whacked in the field.  

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:08:19 PM by Epeeist » Logged
srfnken
^

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 06:52:40 PM »

So the way this rifle was designed you have to have the front cap and barrel sleeve installed.  If not the rifle will not really function.  The barrel will move all over the place.  The barrel is actually pulled forward and in tension with the nuts at the front.  The Allen bolt at the rear is also needed.  This area is round so if not tied into the front you will never be able to retain zero.  Be careful and watch the video for putting it back together or you will break and crack the front cap.  Then you are out of luck as there are none available anywhere. 
Epeeist

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 07:21:32 PM »

Awesome thanks for the info Ken, and for supplying all the modification parts and support to keep these unique little bullpups running!  I am looking forward to adding one of your 308 M17's to the stable in the spring/summer. 
srfnken
^

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 07:26:31 PM »

You are welcome.  My design fixes these issues that you were wanting to do as you see on my design there is no front cap.  Part of the re design process.  My design really only look like the Bushmaster on the outside but 90% of the internals are different.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length