Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 18, 2019, 07:36:28 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  300 Black Out AUG news...
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 300 Black Out AUG news...  (Read 1286 times)
Sgt_P
Administrator
Bullpup Fanatic

SEMPER FIDELIS

« on: January 24, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »

There are 300AAC AUG's in the wild now!  (in European LEO hands)

Expect to see them in the states before next years SHOT Show!!!

Exciting news from the top!!

"Retreat, hell we just got here!" 
Capt L Williams, USMC, WWI (Belleau Wood)
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 11:30:29 AM »

Next year?...ugh.  That's better than nothing, but I wish Steyer moved a little faster than a glacier.  I could see them introducing the 300BO next year and then going another year or more before you could get a barrel.

Frankly, I see a-hole politicians trying to do all manner of gun control in the near future, so I wouldn't sit on my hands waiting for much.  Everyone had better have their firearm choices solidified now.  I believe that at the very best, "they" will achieve driving up prices of ammo, semiautos, and components so high as to try to "starve off" the U.S. firearm owner.  That's the best I can see.  The worst...well...it's bad.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 12:10:11 PM »

Well...the nice thing too is that the AUG platform is far from dead...I think it has lots of life left...
bravo619

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 12:23:33 PM »

Hey Pete any chance of getting a group buy for a special run or to just be first in-line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/bravo619/458.gif
bravo619

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 04:47:45 AM »

Huh???

45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/bravo619/458.gif
PjsSteyrAUG

The Steyr AUG Guy

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 08:07:36 PM »

I'll check into it and let you guys know something this week.

Smiley
Jonathanwild

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 07:01:53 PM »

Id join that list for 300 blk barrels
Mirzayev

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 07:42:52 PM »

I would also be interested in such a list.  Smiley
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 09:58:40 PM »

And another one on the list.
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 10:12:23 PM »

I'd definitely be in for one, will definitely push me to get a suppressor too.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 02:41:08 AM »

I would so like to keep my AUG for this 300BO purpose.  I was hunting last evening at my usual place not far from the house for hogs and coyotes, and I was thinking about this thread.

I was using my 16" AR in 300BO with my suppressor.  It's a home built setup, and it's a tack driver with my loaded 110g V-Max.  But this place is in a flood plain area of a river that is heavily wooded, fallen timber, and fences to cross. 

My suppressor is 8" long, and when you attach that to a 33" AR with the buttstock extended and left at its ideal length for me, this is a lot of dangle on a two-point sling when going over fences and through brush.

My AUG from the barrel threads to buttstock is 26" long and would be so much more handy for the same 16" barrel in 300BO.  My AR with the scope and no magazine is 8.4 pounds.  My AUG with the same scope is 9 pounds and no mag.  I'll take that half pound extra on the AUG all day for its compactness.

If I were hunting out of a blind with only a few steps from the vehicle, none of that would matter, but I like sitting on the ground on one of those folding hunting seats with a small height tripod.  It's a little bit of a walk in the places I hunt, and I don't like the vehicle being that close to where I will be hunting.

The AUG would make such a nice, short, compact package for 300BO.
Mirzayev

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 09:35:04 AM »

I would so like to keep my AUG for this 300BO purpose.  I was hunting last evening at my usual place not far from the house for hogs and coyotes, and I was thinking about this thread.

I was using my 16" AR in 300BO with my suppressor.  It's a home built setup, and it's a tack driver with my loaded 110g V-Max.  But this place is in a flood plain area of a river that is heavily wooded, fallen timber, and fences to cross. 

My suppressor is 8" long, and when you attach that to a 33" AR with the buttstock extended and left at its ideal length for me, this is a lot of dangle on a two-point sling when going over fences and through brush.

My AUG from the barrel threads to buttstock is 26" long and would be so much more handy for the same 16" barrel in 300BO.  My AR with the scope and no magazine is 8.4 pounds.  My AUG with the same scope is 9 pounds and no mag.  I'll take that half pound extra on the AUG all day for its compactness.

If I were hunting out of a blind with only a few steps from the vehicle, none of that would matter, but I like sitting on the ground on one of those folding hunting seats with a small height tripod.  It's a little bit of a walk in the places I hunt, and I don't like the vehicle being that close to where I will be hunting.

The AUG would make such a nice, short, compact package for 300BO.

It definitely sounds like 300 BLK would be an excellent option in the AUG for the compactness that the platform naturally offers.

While I don't necessarily prescribe to the fairly common narrative that the 300 BLK is the wave of the future for AR-15 rifles, I do certainly believe that it is a very well designed specialty round. Sacrificing long-range (for a .223) performance for a very hard hitting round certainly makes sense for many practical applications, hunting being one of them. Not having a rifle snag on random bits of foliage and vegetation is a huge plus!
AtroxVenator
New Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 11:31:16 AM »

I would also like to be on the list to reserve one of these 300 BLK barrels. Thanks for the update.
xdmikey

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 10:18:15 PM »

add me too
LazyEngineer

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 12:32:22 AM »

At long last - we'll finally get some field reports on what an AUG Kaboom is like!  I'm only kind of half-kidding; as I'm starting to lose count how many AR Kabooms are happening with the more common adoption of .300 BO.  

On some forums, the reports of .300 BO Kabooming a .223 AR are getting pretty frequent.  At the busy gun range I was at today, the RO mentioned one guy alone has had two separate Kabooms sourced back to .300 blackout ammo ending up in a .223 AR - and the guy that Kaboomed (twice) in that story was one of the employee's at the gun range! (to which... wow).

Seriously, be very very careful with .300 BO.  It makes it into magazines intended for .223 guns more than you think; and often by people who thought they knew what they were doing too.  Most common failure is guys just work the round several times until they (without realizing it), push the round back into the case far enough, and deform the front contour just enough, that the bolt finally closes.  

And Kaboom.  

Once they make an AUG in .300 BO, it's going to be a matter of time before we get a Kaboom report here.  Which should be fascinating, as I'm curious what a Bullpup Kaboom is really like.  My guess is not that bad.  AR Kabooms, aside from wrecking the gun, are surprisingly mild apparently when it comes to actually seriously harming anyone.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 12:35:21 AM by LazyEngineer » Logged
Mirzayev

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 04:57:08 AM »

At long last - we'll finally get some field reports on what an AUG Kaboom is like!  I'm only kind of half-kidding; as I'm starting to lose count how many AR Kabooms are happening with the more common adoption of .300 BO.  

On some forums, the reports of .300 BO Kabooming a .223 AR are getting pretty frequent.  At the busy gun range I was at today, the RO mentioned one guy alone has had two separate Kabooms sourced back to .300 blackout ammo ending up in a .223 AR - and the guy that Kaboomed (twice) in that story was one of the employee's at the gun range! (to which... wow).

Seriously, be very very careful with .300 BO.  It makes it into magazines intended for .223 guns more than you think; and often by people who thought they knew what they were doing too.  Most common failure is guys just work the round several times until they (without realizing it), push the round back into the case far enough, and deform the front contour just enough, that the bolt finally closes.  

And Kaboom.  

I do agree that this will happen once the 300 BLK is released into the wild; hopefully it doesn't happen to someone from this forum!

The fix to make sure that this doesn't occur to you is to mark your barrels and magazines, and make sure there is a method to separate them in storage. Importantly, don't store 300 BLK and .223/5.56 loaded magazines together, especially in your range bag. The Steyr mags are transparent, so that does at least make ammo identification easier in the event that the magazines get intermixed. When in doubt, check!

I can almost guarantee that every wrong chambering of 300 BLK is due to the operator not having a system for visually identifying their 300 BLK parts and magazines versus their .223/5.56. If your life isn't in danger, slow down and check to make sure that everything is set up properly BEFORE pulling the trigger.

Also, to satisfy everyone's curiosity of what happens when you fire 300 BLK in a .223/5.56 chamber: https://youtu.be/RbfIkaNlECo
bravo619

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 12:05:35 PM »

Hell Id be in for a whole setup or just the barrel:) either works for me.

bravo619

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 12:25:57 PM »

And Kaboom.  

I do agree that this will happen once the 300 BLK is released into the wild; hopefully it doesn't happen to someone from this forum!

The fix to make sure that this doesn't occur to you is to mark your barrels and magazines, and make sure there is a method to separate them in storage. Importantly, don't store 300 BLK and .223/5.56 loaded magazines together, especially in your range bag. The Steyr mags are transparent, so that does at least make ammo identification easier in the event that the magazines get intermixed. When in doubt, check!

I can almost guarantee that every wrong chambering of 300 BLK is due to the operator not having a system for visually identifying their 300 BLK parts and magazines versus their .223/5.56. If your life isn't in danger, slow down and check to make sure that everything is set up properly BEFORE pulling the trigger.

Also, to satisfy everyone's curiosity of what happens when you fire 300 BLK in a .223/5.56 chamber: https://youtu.be/RbfIkaNlECo
Very informative post as Ive done this very same thing with a 7.62 AR15 except I ran a 7.62x39 through my M-1000 aac suppressor 🙄 got in a hurry and forgot which suppressor I had on. Was supposed to be the 7.62 SDN-6 .   The m1000 ended up across the street with a big bulge in the front side and shrapnel sprayed back through the receiver into my face, I was lucky all I received was a piece stuck in my eyebrow and a piece in my eyelid that I got out with tweezers after a little digging. People I cant stress how scary this was. BE CAREFUL AND PAY ATTENTION. I was very lucky.  I know it wasnt a 5.56 barrel but trying to stuff a 7.62 through a 5.56 suppressor woke me up.

TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 01:30:31 PM »

And Kaboom.  

Yep, I keep all 300BO that is loaded in magazines in totally different mags that have the rubber banded "300BO" emblazoned on them.  My AUG is a NATO version.  All my 5.56 stuff is in pmags and other polymer mags.  My 300BO is in steel mags.  I saw mentions of some steel mags being very hard on the case/bullet while feeding, but while using my reloads in both subs and supers I haven't noticed anything of any consequence.

As far as grabbing a handful of 300BO cartridges and loading them into a mag for 5.56 use, you'd have to be sleep walking not to recognize the difference.  They are visibly that different...by a lot.  And if you're doing that, you probably shouldn't be shooting guns.  I'm pretty sure most kabooms occur when one just slams a mag loaded with 300BO into their 5.56 without looking or seeing the difference.  Use totally different and identifiable mags for 300BO.  Most will find that you won't need or use large numbers of mags for 300BO like you might do for 5.56, so paint the 300BO neon pink if you have to...LOL!...well,...maybe something less dramatic...LOL!

tsh77769

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 01:50:01 AM »

One possible, though expensive solution would be to have both a NATO and an AUG mag stock and use only NATO mags with the 300 BLK and only only AUG mags with the 5.56.

The reason why I say NATO mags with 300 blk is because I do not know if 300 blk would work with AUG mags.

Tsh77769
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length