Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 25, 2019, 12:26:37 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  Just announced at SHOT, free AUG training class with new purchase.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Just announced at SHOT, free AUG training class with new purchase.  (Read 1233 times)
mpd3285
^

« on: January 22, 2019, 08:49:06 PM »

Steyr is offering free tuition to the Steyr Training Academy at Talledega CMP with the purchase of AUG, SCOUT, and assorted centerfire rifles in 2019.  Check out press conference on FB live.  Also new MF-A2 pistols coming. 

Steyr AUG= Austrian combat Legos since 1977.
Why SBR when you can AUG?! - Haven't we been taxed enough already?
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 09:34:52 PM »

Pfffft!...I'll get excited when they come out with a 300BO barrel.  I like my AUG, but I like my Tavor a little bit better as a 5.56 bullpup.  I'm on the verge of selling my AUG.  I wouldn't even consider that if I could get a 16" 300BO barrel for the AUG.  An no...I'm not interested in the 300BO conversion for the Tavor.

OP, no word of any 300BO that Steyer had teased last year?
housertl

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 12:01:43 PM »

Not the OP, but Iíve heard from TNSteyr that they are currently working on tooling and hope to release them this year.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 01:24:07 PM »

I hope that's the case.  I really like my AUG, but I don't need two 5.56 bullpups.  I have a 300BO pistol AR with a 9.5" barrel that is used solely for subs and suppressed.  It works great but is not a good hunting rifle by any means.

My 16" 300BO AR rifle is awesome for supers and hunting up to 200 yards and a little further.  However, with my suppressor in rough, wooded terrain, it's decently cumbersome.  I'd hunt with my AUG in 300BO with a suppressor in a heartbeat.
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 01:27:13 PM »

Free class for those who buy in 2019, sorta miffed they didn't try to offer anything to previous owners.

I really wonder what's taking them so long with the blackout barrel now. They've had quite some time to make it work.
housertl

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 05:45:01 PM »

Free class for those who buy in 2019, sorta miffed they didn't try to offer anything to previous owners.

I really wonder what's taking them so long with the blackout barrel now. They've had quite some time to make it work.

I think the AUG is probably particularly difficult to make work with .300 if you try to make it work with both supers and subs. There just isnít enough dwell time. If you opt to make it run with supers primarily, and possibly subs with a suppressor, I suspect it becomes much easier.

Ironically, the 7.62x39 version is probably easier to make work, since the round has more gas.
mpd3285
^

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 07:09:49 PM »

There are challenges in making it work for subs and HV and safety if a 5.56 is chambered in a 300 blk barrel, and continued testing to assure Steyrs high level of QC.  That said, would there be interest if 300Blk barrel was released in the meantime as a straight-pull/AUG Z type repeater barrel? Obviously no semi function, but super quiet as no piston or action noise.  Your thoughts?

TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 09:07:33 PM »

I don't think I'd be interested in a single shot/charging handle operation AUG.  I see the value in a setup like that if you're loading longer than mag length loads in some firearms like an AR, but I wouldn't care for it on my AUG. 

I have an AR with a side charging handle that has a 24" match barrel and takes longer-than-mag .224 heavies with the gas blocked off.  It works great as a bench target gun.  I'd prefer my 16" barrel AUG to remain full semiauto.

I have a hard time believing Steyer can't develop a dual operating setup for 300BO subs and supers.  When this platform was used by the military and police in developed countries, did they not have suppressor option setups?  I'm asking as I don't know...but I would suspect so.  I'm not interested in a suppressed AUG with subs, but I can understand the marketing motivation.

As to morons shooting 300BO in their 5.56 guns, well, maybe that's just Darwin doing the job he was paid to do...LOL!
mpd3285
^

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 09:32:22 PM »

The main issue with AUG design is distance to the gas piston system.  Robert Silvers designed 300 BLK around the idea of pistol length gas direct impingement ARs with 9 inch barrels. The AUG reciever and gas block design do not allow for shortening that without a great deal of creativity.  As far as the BOOM factor: I agree , but hang around a police range long enough where recruits (and even seasoned officers) from multiple agencies are loading 9mm and 40 around the same benches or picking up live dropped ammo off the ground and eventually you get some interesting results.  Knowing how interesting the results can be is what legal/liability folks wonder about.  No one want to see the AUG turn into a real Grove AR60 from Remo Williams!

Sgt_P
Administrator
Bullpup Fanatic

SEMPER FIDELIS

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 10:51:03 AM »

There are 300AAC AUG's in the wild now!  (in European LEO hands)

Expect to see them in the states before next years SHOT Show!!!

Exciting news from the top!!

(BTW, the training thing is great!  It's obviously to entice new owners.  But there will be other opportunities too.  More info to come...)   Wink
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:52:34 AM by Sgt_P » Logged

"Retreat, hell we just got here!" 
Capt L Williams, USMC, WWI (Belleau Wood)
mpd3285
^

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 01:28:36 PM »

Steyr USA is working on getting the 300BLK tooling to produce it at the Bessemer office.

7n6

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 06:34:30 AM »

.300 blackout is a stupid caliber conversion to be honest given the limited market share of the AUG. They should just concentrate on bringing out 1/7 twist barrels while also getting the trigger to under 7lbs out of the box.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 12:33:59 PM »

.300 blackout is a stupid caliber conversion to be honest given the limited market share of the AUG. They should just concentrate on bringing out 1/7 twist barrels while also getting the trigger to under 7lbs out of the box.

Dude...we don't all use our firearms in the same way, so your stupid may be someone else's preference.  The only "stupid" thing going on is Steyr's slow zombie walk in several venues like the 1:7 twist you mention, a 300BO option, a better trigger, etc.  Even small companies who make barrels for AR's are able to cover multiple calibers and other innovative optional components.  There's really no excuse for a company like Steyr not to have more options or just outright, critical improvements like the trigger.

Did you ever think the issue of "market share" that you mention might actually be because Steyr makes little effort to innovate the AUG platform with options and improvements?  The AR has been around a lot longer than the AUG, but it has remained useful and popular because of options.  Even the ancient FN FAL has morphed a bit with some innovation and progression through the years.  I'm not saying that Steyr has done nothing since the introduction of the AUG, but their efforts are slower than 90wt gear oil on a cold day.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length