Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 11:52:45 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News: 2014 NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits                                              25 - 27 April, 2014                               Indiana Convention Center  -  Indianapolis, IN                              600 exihibitors, covering over 400,000 sq ft                                Seminars, dinners, and the Annual Meeting of Members                              BulllpupForum.com will be in attendance.  See you there!!                

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . . . .
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor
| | |-+  Pictures of the 4 Tavor Models from IWI US
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Pictures of the 4 Tavor Models from IWI US  (Read 15396 times)
mig1nc

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 07:37:41 PM »

To be fair, the IDF never standardized on the full length rifle barrel per se.

They standardized on the CTAR-21 before the X95 (similar to the Micro Tavor) for general issue and X95L (X95 with basically a CTAR-21 barrel) for marksmen. And even with that, they still have more M16 type weapons than anything else.

I'm going to be holding out for an IDF spec X95L with pinned flash hider or a factory SBR option.

Do they have any concrete plans for the X95L?  How much smaller/lighter is that over the Tavor?

I'll probably just get the Tavor SAR for now.  That should just about do it of me, however it would be kind of cool to see the full line of Tavors take off.  I'm new to bullpups so this is all still exciting to me, and I think the Tavor and the Aug are probably the two that have the biggest chance (in that order) of making bullpups a bit more mainstream (although I suspect they will be a pretty rare sight at the gun range for quite some time).  Which would be good for helping to evolve the bullpup as a platform, I would suspect.  Of course, if they take their time on the X95L it gives them a chance to build-up/gauge the market, and gives me a chance to save up for a second Tavor.  Wink

-Cheers

I don't know about IWI US, but here it is on the Isreali site. X95L, but not as the IDF spec:
http://www.israel-weapon.com/default.asp?catid=%7B6D9367DF-6A8D-4020-8E19-A7322FFCA668%7D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Tavor_TAR-21 lists it down below with the 15" barrel.

There is a great post by PRETORIAN on another forum that shows the 15" X95, which may be the 16.5" if you count the flash hider, which we don't in the USA.

If you google for PRETORIAN and X95 you should find the post on the other forum.

I think it is sometimes rude to link forums, so I won't post the whole link. But if you want to see the most current IDF configuration, that's where you want to look.
Hungarian-Legionnaire

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 09:06:20 PM »

At least we are getting a Tavor rifle in the US.  Some of us have been waiting on it for several years.  Mr. K has been working hard to make this happen and for that I'm grateful.

I'm well aware of what Mr. Kassnar ( a friend of mine) has done to get the Tavor in to the US, because I question the name of the US version is because I was curious, I too have been waiting for the Tavor TAR-21 to come to the US, for almost 10 years. I joined The French Foreign Legion & served France & finished my 5 year contract, have been out for 3.5 years & am still waiting... I don't need you telling me what I'm already aware of because I ask about a name change. YES I would prefer the Tavor to be called the "Tavor TAR-21" instead of the "Tavor SAR", but regardless of it's name it IS what what WE have all been waiting for, for a VERY long time.

- István
Norinco982lover

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2012, 12:46:41 AM »

I'm a little confused, is the "base" model the full length flat top and does that have built in sights or not?

Thanks much!
Armed Mage

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2012, 01:29:13 AM »

I'm a little confused, is the "base" model the full length flat top and does that have built in sights or not?

Thanks much!

Yes it looks like all the flat top models have the flip-up sights, with a tritium front post to boot.

"Freedom is a two-edged sword of which one edge is liberty and the other responsibility, on which both edges are exceedingly sharp; and which is not easily handled by casual, cowardly, or treacherous hands." -John Whiteside Parsons
TV-PressPass

Tavor TAR-21 Shooter

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2012, 12:17:09 PM »

Yup! The sights are integral to the rail, sort of like on a Knights Armament.

The IDF unit has a different gas block and sights that flip down into the handguard.
Dave_I

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2012, 12:26:36 PM »

Yup! The sights are integral to the rail, sort of like on a Knights Armament.

The IDF unit has a different gas block and sights that flip down into the handguard.
Stupid question for the indecisive; is there any pressing reason to get one over the other other?

-Cheers
Norinco982lover

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »

What is the reasoning behind choosing the 18" barrel over the 16.5? Improved range/velocity?
Dave_I

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »

What is the reasoning behind choosing the 18" barrel over the 16.5? Improved range/velocity?
Somewhat better ballistics.  The slightly better velocity/range/accuracy could be nice for hunting (if/when applicable) or if anybody wants to use this for something like Three-Gun that could be somewhat of an advantage, however slight.

-Cheers
TV-PressPass

Tavor TAR-21 Shooter

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 01:32:02 PM »

Dave, I'd really only recommend the IDF model if your an Israeli junkie like me. It's definitely a "true-er" Tavor than the flattops. But the Flattops will have a much easier time with alternate optics and tactical/three-gun setups.

Norc-lover, there are lots of good breakdowns on barrel lengths for 5.56 around the web. I don't know them well enough to have a strong opinion one way or another, but I bet the guys on arfcom have a 100+ page thread discussing why one over another.
Dave_I

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »

Dave, I'd really only recommend the IDF model if your an Israeli junkie like me. It's definitely a "true-er" Tavor than the flattops. But the Flattops will have a much easier time with alternate optics and tactical/three-gun setups.

Thanks.  That answers my question: flattop it is!  The IDF looks a bit sleeker, however I like the functionality of the flattop for optic placement.

Norc-lover, there are lots of good breakdowns on barrel lengths for 5.56 around the web. I don't know them well enough to have a strong opinion one way or another, but I bet the guys on arfcom have a 100+ page thread discussing why one over another.

I am pretty sure you are right and they do.  The short-version from what I've surmised is that the 16.5" is probably good enough for most uses.  If you are doing more precision work, 3-Gun, like the looks, want marginally better/lower recoil, or those (imo pretty minimal) ballistic differences (there are charts) mean something to you, that could all add up to a desire for an 18" (or longer) barrel.  I am not sure 1.5 inches makes all that much difference (yes, that's what she said Wink), and I value the bullpup design predominantly for its compact, lightweight, more mobile nature so I'm getting the 16.5" version.  Under other circumstances, I might value those subtle advantages the 18: barrel would give me.

But I am not an expert or anything.

-Cheers
Dave_I

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2012, 12:18:58 AM »

Because I apparently have too much time on my hands, and I spend the majority of it lately obsessing about this @#$%ing gun...  What are the options for the top rail on the Tavor?  I'm thinking/planning on going with the flattop.  However, If I get the flattop and later decide to go for a shorter/lighter rail, or vice versa, is that possible?  I'd like the option of putting a Bobro mount and a GRSC 1-6x, however I do like the sleeker look of the IDF model and in a more practical consideration think it would be nice to have any weight savings of a shorter rail if I could get away with it, maybe with a cantilever mount (unless that would be problematic).

Any thoughts or experiences tinkering w/ this?

-Cheers
thearmenian

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2012, 02:33:54 PM »

Because I apparently have too much time on my hands, and I spend the majority of it lately obsessing about this @#$%ing gun...  What are the options for the top rail on the Tavor?  I'm thinking/planning on going with the flattop.  However, If I get the flattop and later decide to go for a shorter/lighter rail, or vice versa, is that possible?  however I do like the sleeker look of the IDF model and in a more practical consideration think it would be nice to have any weight savings of a shorter rail if I could get away with it

I'm right with you. I want the IDF model, but not crazy about the Mepro 21 optic. Want to install the MARS optic instead. Sure, i could sell the Mepro, but its not very popular and would be difficult to unload.

I too, would like to know if it will be possible to convert a flattop to the stock IDF version (at a reasonable price point).

Would have been nice if IWI offered an IDF model without an optic. It would make my decision much easier. I would even opt out of the group buy and wait, if I knew this option would be available down the road.
Slateman

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2012, 03:23:39 PM »

First post, slightly confused.

Will there not be a 16" barrel option of the black SAR for right handed shooters? All I see is the FDE and/or 18 inch models
Norinco982lover

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2012, 03:46:09 PM »

they didn't show a photo of every model. Thats just a few example photos. I'm sure the black 16.5 will be the most popular model.
KrinkBusta

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2012, 04:30:52 PM »

New here but I have been on the forum as a guest in the past doing research. 

I am curious, is there a model that has a built in flashlight in the lower HG and if so, will that model be sold here? 

Lastly, if one picks up a first generation US Tavor SAR, will the user be able to replace the first gen HG with a flashlight version (if there is a flashlight version coming down the pike)?

Thanks.
TV-PressPass

Tavor TAR-21 Shooter

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2012, 06:50:49 PM »

Krinkbusta, I have never in my time looking at Civilian Tavors, IDF Tavors, Ukranian Tavors, or the new American Tavors seen a flashlight integrated into the handguard. Never.

Could you do it? Yeah absolutely. But why not just put a light on the built in accessory rail and use a tape switch like this?

darkest2000

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2012, 08:22:55 PM »

A few questions:

Will there be an 18" version of the "IDF" model, in black?

Will spare barrel assemblies (in different lengths) be available.

And are the flat top rails "removable", or are they pretty much permanently mounted.  i.e. say if I have a flattop model that I want to convert to "IDF" configuration later on, and/or vice versa, will that be possible? Will the parts required for such conversion be available separately? 

SwissyJim

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2012, 12:02:36 AM »

It's nice they have a rail for a light... but it would be nice to have a dedicated channel for the switch instead of using tape... I have a vertical grip like that for a couple of weapons and I do like it alot better.

Has anyone seen the FDE with black mags? I'd kinda like to get a FDE 16" flattop, but I have a serious collection of black PMags. I really don't want to have to get more, in FDE, but I also don't want it to look totally screwed in FDE with black mags. A google search found a number of photos of an airsoft model in FDE with black mags, just not sure how much cosmetic difference there is between the two. It didn't look too bad tho (for an airsoft...LOL)

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2012, 12:07:45 AM »

Have you considered Duracoating or Cerakoteing your mags?
SwissyJim

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2012, 12:16:17 AM »

Have you considered Duracoating or Cerakoteing your mags?

it's an option, but like I said... I have lots!  Evil  Plus my AR's are all black, black, black. FDE in them would  look worse than the Tavor with black. At least the FDE Tavor has black trim/highlights on it.

Login with username, password and session length