Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2019, 06:22:30 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Tavor SAR - Normal Wear or else after only 100 rounds or so?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Tavor SAR - Normal Wear or else after only 100 rounds or so?  (Read 1887 times)
tatal011

« on: December 24, 2018, 09:00:38 PM »

Dear SAR/X95 owners,
Very recently I acquired Tavor SAR 16" in FDE from a close friend that was original owner. I believe that rifle did not have more than 100 to 200 rounds max  through it, and it was mostly kept in the bag. Yesterday, I disassembled it for detailed cleaning, and I found some marking/wear on under side of the piston/recoil mechanism. Are these markings something normal that occur during rifle use, or is it some kind of excessive (abnormal) wear ? I am attaching few pics for better description (white arrows point to markings/wear area of recoil mechanism).
Beside this issue whole rifle looks and shoots like a dream.
Thanks

* 20181225_092630.jpg (5404.58 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 257 times.)

* 20181225_092924.jpg (1035.89 KB, 1800x1188 - viewed 227 times.)

* 20181224_191901_resized.jpg (408.23 KB, 2016x780 - viewed 203 times.)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 05:49:34 PM by tatal011 » Logged
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 09:27:05 PM »

100% normal.
tatal011

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 10:35:08 PM »

Thank you for your reply. I am more concerned about 3 long abrasions on piston under side (left arrow) than anything else. What can be the cause of it since it is barely used rifle? Does anyone else have similar wear on their Tavors?
Josefius

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 02:53:25 AM »

I do on my Tavor X95.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 07:00:37 PM »

Mine does too...it is just rubbing ever so slightly on the inner gas tube cover...
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 03:03:39 PM »

Sorry, I have the X95. I commented before I realized this was a SAR. Sorry.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 03:05:27 PM by Rastoff » Logged

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
tatal011

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 10:05:50 PM »

Sorry, I have the X95. I commented before I realized this was a SAR. Sorry.

Hi Rastoff, what was your comment about anyway? Thanks
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 10:17:09 PM »

OK, I was saying that I don't see that same wear on my piston. Even though the two guns are very close, it's not a fair comparison considering the different platforms.

I will say this though, I see a lot of people asking this exact same question about some wear they see on their new gun. 99.999% of the time it's normal wear from two parts rubbing a little bit. If the piston on your gun were not coated with some black coloring, we would not be having this conversation because you wouldn't have noticed the wear at all.

My point is, gouges are a problem. Bent parts are a problem. The action not cycling or not ejecting the casing is a problem. Loose parts or gaps where they shouldn't be could be a problem, but most of the time aren't. These guns are not designed to be a precision or heirloom piece. They were intended to be easy to operate and maintain. They were built with loose tolerances on purpose for parts interchangeability and sure functioning.

You will find more wear marks and have more concerns about fit and finish. Most of those will just be part of normal function. By all means, come here and ask about those things. We'll be more than happy to help you learn as much as you can about this marvelous gun. Just rest assured that as long as the gun keeps firing and cycling properly, it's probably working as intended.

Freedom isn't free.
tatal011

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 12:36:49 AM »

Rastoff, thank you so much for excellent explanation. I agree with everything you said. I am worried because I love my Tavor and I was saving for a long time to buy this amazing rifle. I just want it to work and look good (both externally and even more internally). I know that some wear is normal with time and use,  but I was concerned that it happened too soon.
I have to ask what is probably going to seems like a stupid question. How come that some people experience wear on certain parts or places while others don't, since the rifle comes from the same factory,  have the same parts and functions in the same way?
I am grateful for all your inputs and advice.
cciman

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 02:21:34 AM »

...Because the final product is made by aggregating a collection of parts together that are not individually fitted to each other.  Every gun is different.

The components are close enough, but final fitting comes through usage/wear - parts that rub together ultimately will meet that happy medium where they fit perfectly.   Your "wear" pattern is normal, and likely self limited after reaching a certain point.

Go shoot it.  If it functions normally, keep shooting it.

I see this OCD phenomena in Glock forum where new users go over the gun endlessly with a microscope and fixate on every little perceived defect.  It will not stay perfect unless you wrap it and put it away in storage.
tatal011

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 11:35:22 AM »

Thank you Cciman and Happy New Year to all of you great helping people on Bullpup forum
boscoman

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 02:27:31 PM »

The Tavor is a combat rifle that as the good people at IWI say is meant to be treated roughly. They tend to laugh at us when we baby these rifles.

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 03:22:31 PM »

Yep, cciman has it right. Any product made by any company anywhere will have variations in manufacturing. Nothing is absolute and everything has a tolerance. As parts are built, the tools used to make those parts wear. As they wear, the parts are going to be just a little different.

Eventually the tools will wear to a point that they need to be replaced. The part that was made first and the part that was made last will not be the same size, but they should be close enough to function properly.

There is a thing called tolerance stacking. This is a phenomena that happens when parts are made on different tools. For example, you have a hole that is 1" and a 1" rod for that hole. Each part has a tolerance of +/-.05" in diameter. If the hole is made and is at it's upper limit, it will be 1.05" big. If the rod is made at it's lower limit, it will be .95" in diameter. As you can see, these parts will fit together. However, if the hold is at the small end, .95" and the rod is at the large end, 1.05", then they won't fit.

Manufactures are not idiots and understand the tolerance stacking and plan for it. Even so, there can still be issues. Instead of a hole that is 1" +/-.05", they set the tolerances like this; 1" +.06", -0" and the rod would be .99" +0", -.04" diameter. By doing this they ensure the parts will always fit. Even so, if the hole is made at the smallest dimension and the rod at the largest, the fit will be tight, but work. If the hole is made at the largest and the rod at the smallest, they will fit a little loose, but still work.

This is what's happened with your gun vs mine. Your piston and the frame are closer in tolerance than mine. Therefore, yours show just a tiny bit more wear than mine. Both are in tolerance and function perfectly.

All moving parts will show wear. The initial wear is just removing some coating. What you see now is after a few hundred rounds. I'll bet it looks exactly the same after a few thousand rounds.

Freedom isn't free.
tatal011

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 08:34:37 PM »

Rastoff, that is very detailed and scientific explanation. Thank you and Happy new Year
DubageL

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 08:37:24 AM »

The only thing Id recommend would be an initial complete detailed strip, disassembly and clean. Remove the factory preservative that is EVERYWHERE and upon initial inspection looks like a thin lubricant film that is actually a preservative that gets tacky and attracts dirt once the gun gets warm. Remove the handguard, and top rail so you can get the barrel and gas system exterior. Clean off everything, barrel, chamber, gas system, bolt, carrier, piston front spring opening area, and including the receiver interior metal subframe and trigger pack with a low or zero residue contact cleaner like electronics cleaner, via flushing and wiping with wet patches and swabs. Then use a good thick gun oil to wipe all the metal down and run the gun really wet a bit. After that just do a wipe down and normal cleaning, most of the stuff will pretty much wipe off.

tatal011

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 10:09:41 PM »

Hi Dubagel,
I was told by IWI Customer/Technical service that preservative that comes with brand new Tavors is Cosmoline. According to them many of their customers do not want to remove it, since it has great protective and lubrication properties. I personally like to do detailed cleaning/lubrication after I buy new toy, and after every single range time.
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 01:07:22 AM »

Do a field strip after every range trip, but a detail strip is too much. You actually run a risk of damaging something by doing a detail strip too often.

Also, there's no need to clean the bore every time. It's better for the bore to clean it only every 500 rounds or so.

Freedom isn't free.
cciman

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 05:14:08 PM »

Let the cleaning debates begin.

Wear on your parts is not caused by cleaning, or not cleaning.  Cleaning may actually accelerate wear, and is more psychological on the part of the owner, than what is really needed by the tool.

Best NOT to have any lubricant residue on, or near, your piston parts-- keep it native, even if it is dirty.
tatal011

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 08:13:45 AM »

Good morning all,
Last time I talked to good peple from IWI (related to wear I posted here), I was told to keep very thin layer of CLP on whole BCG/recoil mechanism.
I am aware that are two "schools" of idea about lubrication on these parts. One says keep it dry and even that any lubrication residue can damage/hurt function. And other school that little bit of lubrication will be beneficial and protective.
I personally like to keep my toys just a tiny bit moist for the lack of better word.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 10:03:27 AM »

I put a light coat on everything while I clean the barrel...once all is done...I wipe it off and lub at the points outlined in the manual.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length