Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2019, 04:00:20 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  Model designation "OCD" scope, and does it have a bolt release?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Model designation "OCD" scope, and does it have a bolt release?  (Read 690 times)
Andygold

« on: December 02, 2018, 05:25:31 PM »

I just saw some AUGs for sale with the model number having an "OCD" on the end.  They appear to have an STG-77/A1-looking scope on them, but with a 16" barrel.  All the images are of a black stocked model and all are from the right side, so I cannot determine if they have the bolt release.

I'm curious if the OCD scope and the STG scope are one and the same, and I'm also curious as to whether these scopes differ internally from the 1.5x built-in scope on the M1.  Is one better than the other in function, other than not having the top and right side scope rails

Lastly, anyone know if the OCD models have a bolt release?

Thanks,

Andy
THX1138

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 10:23:12 PM »

Its simply an M1 with the same classic 1.5x scope found on the STG77.

* STYAUGM1BLKOCD_1.jpg (10.82 KB, 500x312 - viewed 132 times.)

* pix175548239.jpg (24.94 KB, 640x640 - viewed 133 times.)
THX1138

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 10:50:41 PM »

The reticules are different between the 1.5x on the M1 and STG. The STG uses the classic circle with a small dot in the center (OCD probably = Optic Circle Dot). The M1 1.5x is a circle with crosshairs.

Pictures of various AUG scope reticules can be seen here:

https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=1494.0
Andygold

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 11:32:39 AM »

The reticules are different between the 1.5x on the M1 and STG. The STG uses the classic circle with a small dot in the center (OCD probably = Optic Circle Dot). The M1 1.5x is a circle with crosshairs.

Pictures of various AUG scope reticules can be seen here:

https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=1494.0

I've heard that the glass used on the STG-style scopes is not as good as that used in the M1 scopes (and nowhere near as good as the glass used on the early Swarovsky glassed scopes).  I've read a post or two that the newer STG scopes have issues with clarity towards the edges, and a bit in from the edges.  Can anyone confirm or comment on glass quality?  Is there really an issue?  And as to my original question, Other than the rails on the M1 scope, is one 1.5x scope (M1) a better optic than the other 1.5x scope (STG)?
Wilhite Trail

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »

Anyone know if there is a difference yet? I'm interested in maybe picking one of these up.
panzerbob01

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 02:50:20 AM »

The OP is, I am pretty sure, referring to the A3 M1 1.5 XCD 16 version. It is an A3 M1 with 16 inch barrel, small rail on the upper receiver right side, and the neo-classic (skinny tube, no rails on it, original style conformation of the mount / "handle") 1.5x scope, and it has (at least my just-acquired slightly-used copy does  Grin ) the left-side bolt release paddle.  I THINK that the "STG-77" version comes with the same scope, but a 20" barrel and no rail on the upper receiver right side. IDK about whether the STG has a bolt release paddle...

My scope has the circle-dot reticle.  The glass looks pretty clear and bright to my aging eyes, and the reticle is very nice for doing some precise shooting (at the range I can even see my target...).  Long ago, right when the famous ban took place, I handled a then-current AUG with its 1.5x optic at a shop in Glendale, AZ. My recollection is that its glass clarity was NOT better nor brighter than that I find in my current 2018-vintage AUG's scope.

My first go with my AUG (last Sunday, 31 Mar) had me getting easy sub-1.0 inch groups at about 70 yrds with 55gr Tulammo off my stack-of-wood-boxes "bench" using a sitting position with the foregrip cupped in my off hand resting on the "bench".  I would note that my preferred right eye is actually about 20 / 300 with mild cataract, and my old glasses are insufficient to provide a clear focus and view on the target thru the scope at 60+ yrds...  That said, the optic performed quite well.

It is true that you may get edge distortion (slight blurring) when using a too-short or too-long eye-relief on this long-tube scope... The correct eye relief should yield a clear FOV - and of course that "correct" relief is dependent on the shooter's eye.  

I am no expert at anything regarding the AUG and its variants...  But I believe, from what I've come across on a few different sites, that there are actually a few different reticles offered with the 1.5x XCD scope. As said above, mine has the small circle-dot reticle.

Cheers!  p'Bob Smiley
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:59:03 AM by panzerbob01 » Logged
Wilhite Trail

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 02:27:16 PM »

That's awesome to hear, thanks for the testimonial. I really like the idea of the OCD m1 scope. Sort of the A3-M1 version of the old AUG-P....
panzerbob01

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 09:43:15 PM »

A follow-up from my AUG & Tavor SAR-16 shoot today:

I took the 2 kids out to the hill range today for comparison... AUG A3M1 1.5XCD 16 vrs Tavor SAR-16 w/ EoTech EXPS-2 and G33 3x magnifier out on my 70 yrd set-up.

The AUG 1.5 XCD scope is, of course, not illuminated, and it was passably sunny and bright here in Arizona (like that's unusual... Cheesy ).

Using standard redfield targets, and a mix of cheap steel-case 55gr, all shot from my usual sit-at-the-"bench" (made of stacked wood boxes) - no sand-bags, no bipods.

The AUG was simply a little bit more precise and produced slightly tighter groups. (0.75 inch compared to Tavor 1 - 1.5 inch).  I attribute the greater tightness to the XCD optic - NOT to the rifle itself. The AUG's small black circle neatly frames a smaller dot, and this seems to pull the eye in onto the target. The EXPS-2 is a great optic, but the red dot is about 2 MOA at 100 yrds, I think... And so simply covers over a smaller aiming point, so actually seems to limit precision. The AUG's small black dot covers very little by itself - sorta a "buttfloss" (parden my inappropriateness of analogy, but...! Grin ) lack of hiding most anything you might wish to see! Cheesy

I love the Tavor, and the EXPS, but it is a bit less-precise at the over-50 yrd range. 

My only qualm regarding the AUG XCD optic lies in it being a black circle w tiny black dot... great on lighter-colored targets and in the daylight. Not likely good in dim light...

Cheers!  Bob
photog22740
^

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 04:38:25 PM »

Anyone know if this is going to be a continued offering, or are they perhaps just using up scopes left over from the anniversary model production?  Thanks.
panzerbob01

« Reply #9 on: Today at 03:09:39 AM »

I'm going to guess that Steyr will continue offering the M1 A3 1.5 XCD model with the "classical" optic as long as it sells. But I don't have any sort of inside track on whether what's been happening to-date is simply "using up" optic stock, or if its been continued new optic production.  It's one option among many for current-production AUG, and all are probably relatively to very rare in the market, certainly compared to Tavors or AR versions...  The XCD is currently available.  Want one?  Probably no good reason, other than money supply, to wait on getting it, IMO!
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length