Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 01:19:04 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  X95 Barrel Exchange with Omega ASR Muzzle Brake
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: X95 Barrel Exchange with Omega ASR Muzzle Brake  (Read 324 times)
MaverickNH

« on: November 28, 2018, 03:17:46 PM »

I put an Omega ASR Muzzle Brake on my X95 barrel for EZ On/Off with my Omega 300 suppressor. When I went to swap between 556 and 300BO barrels, I realized itís too big for the fore end to slip over. Am I missing an easy solution other than removing the brake or having a separate fore end trapped on each barrel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
taylorj

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 04:24:01 PM »

So to be clear, the charging group won't slide over the barrel? And do you have a 16 or 18 inch barrel? I find the 18 inch barrel to cause a lot of problems with removal due to the lug and length.

If so, there's a U shaped metal joint on the cocking group which is what the handguard screws into. This should be what is catching on your muzzle.

It is a PITA to remove, but it just pops out, held in place by pressure. In order to easily remove the barrel on mine, I trimmed down this joint extensively (without breaking the U shape) so it doesn't catch on the muzzle. This also sort of free floats the barrel. This obviously requires tools and permanent modification, although I assure you it does nothing to affect the rifle's performance. It's a remnant from the IDF Tavors' front sight post.

Also keep in mind that the charging group is fairly flexible and can be "bent" over the muzzle. You risk damage to the group and the charging handle if you are not careful though.

EDIT: Made a mistake. My advice is for the SAR. I do not know if the X95 shares this problem.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 04:27:43 PM by taylorj » Logged
MaverickNH

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 06:23:39 PM »

Sorry - itís the diameter of the Silencerco ARS Muzzle Brake that wonít pass through the fore end hole. As the suppressor is twisted on and off they recommend Rocktite adhesive so the brake doesnít torque off. I had Locktite Red and was able to heat and remove the brake but thatís not something I want to do every time I swap barrels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MajorKong

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 01:11:14 AM »

If you are going to change barrels frequently you might use a crush washer ora small amount of loctite. 
MaverickNH

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:42:34 AM »

The latest IWI US YouTube video on the Gen 4 Charging Handle Rod indicates that the fore end must be removed to take out the Charging Handle Rod, requiring removal of larger muzzle devices.

I havenít tried to see if I can pull the Charging Handle Rod off by just pulling the fire end up to the muzzle device. While removing the SilencerCo ASR muzzle brake isnít too hard - heatgun and wrenches - cleaning the thread lock gunk off the barrel threads and brake threads takes longer than changing out the barrel. Bummer.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length