Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 02:32:44 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Cleaning
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cleaning  (Read 375 times)
xiaohan

« on: November 28, 2018, 09:43:04 AM »

I am new here, just wonder if someone could give me some suggestions regarding the CLP or gun oil to use for X95 cleaning/maintenance, please?

It seems CLP is a multi purpose product for everything, but someone told me it is still better to put gun oil on to protect the parts. Is it true? Does it really matter if I am not going to keep the rifle for like 20 years?

And any good CLP or gun oil to recommend?

Thank you.
boscoman

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 09:48:35 AM »

Well this thread will open the flood gates of opinions.

Me, I use Ballistol on all my fire arms. Militec is another good oil.

Needless to say there is a plethora of quality products out there for cleaning & lubing firearms.

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
xiaohan

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 12:14:47 PM »

Needless to say there is a plethora of quality products out there for cleaning & lubing firearms.
Thank you.

I bought Ballistol CLP. But someone told me better use gun oil after applied CLP. Not sure if it is necessary.
MajorKong

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 06:01:41 PM »

There are going to be lots of opinions on this topic.  For cleaning and general lubrication purposes CLP, Hoppes, or any other light oil will suffice.  You really don't need to go any further than this.  After cleaning I prefer to use an engine assembly oil on the bolt carrier assembly because it adheres to the metal long after application.  There are several different brands that will work including royal purple, permatex, amsoil, lucas, etc.  The issue with this is that in a desert environment the particles will adhere to the assembly oil.  This isn't a problem for me because I only go to back and forth to the range.  If I was deployed in a desert environment long-term I would just use CLP for cleaning and wipe down the weapon afterwards. 

A cautionary tale before I go.  When I was in the Marine Corps the weapon that I was issued for re-qualification had most of the blue removed from the upper receiver.  I asked the armorer what had happened to the weapon.  It happened that another Marine had previously used an oven cleaner on it.   Be careful when considering the use of non-standard cleaners. 
boscoman

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 09:11:40 PM »

Thank you.

I bought Ballistol CLP. But someone told me better use gun oil after applied CLP. Not sure if it is necessary.

If you are using the Ballistol, no need for any other products as far as I am concerned. For what it is worth, I have been using it for probably close to 20 years now & know that they used it on all their firearms for quite some time at Sig Academy / Sig Sauer in New Hampshire.

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
cciman

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 10:15:12 PM »

Gun cleaning is a religion.  Some are very devout, others are close to being non-believers (myself included).  ALL are fixed in their beliefs, and rituals -- which extend to the products, brands, and tools used.  Because there are many ways, indicates that there is no perfect way.

The Tavor, similar to the AR, is not the easiest to clean because of corners/rooms/hallways to have to get around in the receiver without a tear down-- unlike the open floor plan in the AK or Glock.

I mainly use paper towels to wipe off as much visible crud as possible, run a bore snake periodically, then lube contact parts with motor oil left over from empty containers after an oil change.
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 10:46:05 PM »

Maltby Penetrating Oil

AE
xiaohan

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 09:33:50 AM »

There are going to be lots of opinions on this topic.  For cleaning and general lubrication purposes CLP, Hoppes, or any other light oil will suffice.  You really don't need to go any further than this.  After cleaning I prefer to use an engine assembly oil on the bolt carrier assembly because it adheres to the metal long after application.  There are several different brands that will work including royal purple, permatex, amsoil, lucas, etc.  The issue with this is that in a desert environment the particles will adhere to the assembly oil.  This isn't a problem for me because I only go to back and forth to the range.  If I was deployed in a desert environment long-term I would just use CLP for cleaning and wipe down the weapon afterwards. 

A cautionary tale before I go.  When I was in the Marine Corps the weapon that I was issued for re-qualification had most of the blue removed from the upper receiver.  I asked the armorer what had happened to the weapon.  It happened that another Marine had previously used an oven cleaner on it.   Be careful when considering the use of non-standard cleaners. 
Thank you major.

So can I say after cleaning the rifle using CLP, it should be all good for short term storage and doesn't really need to do anything until firing it next time, correct?

The oil you used is for something extra protection? But it is not really mandatory, and shouldn't make too much difference if I only shot in the in door range.

xiaohan

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 09:36:30 AM »

Thank you.

If you are using the Ballistol, no need for any other products as far as I am concerned. For what it is worth, I have been using it for probably close to 20 years now & know that they used it on all their firearms for quite some time at Sig Academy / Sig Sauer in New Hampshire.

Thank you. That's what I thought after I read about CLP. From my understanding, it pretty much does all the clean, lubricate and protection in one product. Apply oil sounds like a traditional way for gun maintenance or extra after CLP is used. But bottom line, CLP should be enough for general  cleaning/protection of a firearm.
xiaohan

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 09:39:00 AM »

Gun cleaning is a religion.  Some are very devout, others are close to being non-believers (myself included).  ALL are fixed in their beliefs, and rituals -- which extend to the products, brands, and tools used.  Because there are many ways, indicates that there is no perfect way.

The Tavor, similar to the AR, is not the easiest to clean because of corners/rooms/hallways to have to get around in the receiver without a tear down-- unlike the open floor plan in the AK or Glock.

I mainly use paper towels to wipe off as much visible crud as possible, run a bore snake periodically, then lube contact parts with motor oil left over from empty containers after an oil change.
Thank you.

That make sense, it's all about personal preference.

I do the cleaning just like it mentioned on youtube video using a CLP. But would consider to get some gun oil just for the the action, receiver part which moves a lot.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length