Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 02:13:27 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Nov 2018: What will be the reason for the delay this time?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Nov 2018: What will be the reason for the delay this time?  (Read 1103 times)
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: November 27, 2018, 06:59:05 PM »

First batches were due to ship around the end of November. We're three days away from the end of November, and DT has been quiet.

So what do you guys think will be the reason? I'm going to guess a problem with the magazine insert
Blackandwhiteknight
^

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 07:33:45 PM »

Hmm, I think the mag insert is probably ok. It's a polymer sleeve that locks in place, not much to go wrong there.  Here's my bet though; in keeping with DT fashion they used a small (read nonexistent) sample size of 5.56 mags for testing the mag release button, and or compatibility with the sleeve. \

So either they will catch it after seeing this post and make another "well guys we need to order more parts because __ ", or they will ship guns only to have people flip a lid when they try to use Lancer 5.56 mags and they don't work.  Given my understanding of the MDRs operation I'm calling that the steel lipped mags will be a no go. Cheesy
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 11:40:12 AM »

Given my understanding of the MDRs operation I'm calling that the steel lipped mags will be a no go. Cheesy

Oh noes, what about all the aluminium USGI I have stockpiled for the upcoming end of days?

They should work no? The MDR is the next US military combat battle rifle, of course they will work with USGI magazines.

AE
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 01:43:53 PM »

Given my understanding of the MDRs operation I'm calling that the steel lipped mags will be a no go. Cheesy

Oh noes, what about all the aluminium USGI I have stockpiled for the upcoming end of days?

They should work no? The MDR is the next US military combat battle rifle, of course they will work with USGI magazines.

AE

It's like you've never heard of H&K before ...
Blackandwhiteknight
^

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 05:01:21 PM »

AE

To be fair, pretty much all major branches of the US military are using M3 PMAGs now.  The MDR has bigger problems to overcome than magazine compatibility if it wants to get anywhere near a government contract.  The airsoft grade polymer parts would be near the top of the list...  A Marine would have an MDR in a million pieces in about 30 seconds, it would probably be okay with a soldier for a minute, and would be fine for the Airforce. Grin
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 10:38:18 PM »

AE

It's like you've never heard of H&K before ...

Or E-Lander.

AE
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 10:40:44 PM »

AE

To be fair, pretty much all major branches of the US military are using M3 PMAGs now.  The MDR has bigger problems to overcome than magazine compatibility if it wants to get anywhere near a government contract.  The airsoft grade polymer parts would be near the top of the list...  A Marine would have an MDR in a million pieces in about 30 seconds, it would probably be okay with a soldier for a minute, and would be fine for the Airforce. Grin

It has already been selected and assigned a NSN# by DT fanbois.

Per DT the MDR passed NATO testing with flying colors, I wonder what colors statements not based in fact come in?

AE

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:47:27 PM by Aussie E » Logged
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 11:32:53 PM »

If anyone believes the MDR would pass a proper military test...they are smoking something really potent.
Blackandwhiteknight
^

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 01:01:23 AM »

AE

To be fair, pretty much all major branches of the US military are using M3 PMAGs now.  The MDR has bigger problems to overcome than magazine compatibility if it wants to get anywhere near a government contract.  The airsoft grade polymer parts would be near the top of the list...  A Marine would have an MDR in a million pieces in about 30 seconds, it would probably be okay with a soldier for a minute, and would be fine for the Airforce. Grin

It has already been selected and assigned a NSN# by DT fanbois.

Per DT the MDR passed NATO testing with flying colors, I wonder what colors statements not based in fact come in?

AE

Yeah... there's nothing passing about that drop test.  If a PMAG sheers your receiver in half you need to go back to the drawing board.
whiskey91lima

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 02:56:06 PM »

The airsoft grade polymer parts would be near the top of the list...  A Marine would have an MDR in a million pieces in about 30 seconds, it would probably be okay with a soldier for a minute, and would be fine for the Airforce. Grin

This is the number one problem with the MDR and the reason that I sold mine after initial.testing. The polymer is far too weak for anything other than a safe queen. I wouldn't be surprised if the mag release issues is related to work around for the soft polymer.

Another they should do is polish the ejection chutes. There's just way too much friction in the chute especially with the dust cover closed.

Edit: Additionally, the pistol grip needs a redesign. The height difference between the bottom of the trigger guard and where the web of your thumb should rest is far to large. The weight of the rifle ends up resting on the knuckle of your middle finger. The MDR is no slouch and this is not ergonomic. Honestly, they made a mistake by making it incompatible with AR15 pistol grips. If they had, the user could decide what's grip is most ergonomic for themselves. Rather than forcing the creation of an aftermarket for the MDR alone, they could have taken advantage of the AR15 aftermarket.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 07:13:56 PM by whiskey91lima » Logged
Box

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 04:33:20 PM »

Hopefully Nick is reading and listening.
whiskey91lima

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 07:15:48 PM »

If they make a Gen 2. And if they address the issues that I see with the rifle, I absolutely would pay top dollar for the MDR.

Source: I pre-ordered a MDR and was severely disappointed in the final product. I sold it and built a 6.5 Grendel ultralight AR15 and am very happy with it.
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »

If they make a Gen 2. And if they address the issues that I see with the rifle, I absolutely would pay top dollar for the MDR.

Source: I pre-ordered a MDR and was severely disappointed in the final product. I sold it and built a 6.5 Grendel ultralight AR15 and am very happy with it.

Yea, you'll pay next year. And get your gun in 2034
whiskey91lima

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 08:29:41 PM »

Haha no. I would not preorder a Gen 2.
Yea, you'll pay next year. And get your gun in 2034

Ha! I'm never pre-ordering again.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:08:56 PM by whiskey91lima » Logged
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 01:48:28 PM »

There is no delay, DT just reported that all our calendars were misprinted (it's actually Nov 30th until further notice) by a third party vendor and until they are replaced by the new vendor shipping the 223 MDR is on hold.

AE
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:09:07 PM by Aussie E » Logged
reason

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 02:14:26 PM »

“What will be the reason...?”

D E S E R T     T E C H
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 03:04:19 PM »

I think they might have been thinking 2019.... Kiss

Two more weeks....only two more weeks guys.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 03:07:38 PM by thehun » Logged
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 08:52:37 PM »

First week of December has come and gone
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length