Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 02:19:59 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Tavor vs. AUG in regards to target reacquisition?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tavor vs. AUG in regards to target reacquisition?  (Read 452 times)
Andygold

« on: November 20, 2018, 11:11:26 AM »

1st post here on this particular board.  Looking for real info, from real users, and was hoping to get some unbiased truth.

I've been a bullpup guy since the 1980's, first with a Bushmaster Arm Pistol, and then about 10 years ago I picked up an FN PS90.  Besides the Arm Pistol and PS90, I also have an assortment of other military styled firearms, including a carbine length, d.i., AR15.

I've always lusted after a Steyr AUG (I guess that makes me a fanboy  Grin ), but the funds were never available, until now.  But nowadays there are other options available to me, including the Tavors.  I will probably end up reading a good deal of the threads on this forum, but figured I could possibly get some questions asked which might cut down on my research...

I'm looking to get away from the AR as I don't like a few things about the platform.  I don't like the over gassed action ( yes I know I can get an adjustable gas block, but will have to tailor it to the each bullet weight/manufacturer/powder measure..), I don't like the boiiinnnggg from the buffer spring, and I don't like that my particular rifle seems to give me issues with reacquiring target due to recoil/muzzle rise (yes, I know that .223/5.56 is a light recoiling round, but my gun just doesn't feel right to me.  I've played with buffer weights and such, tried a mid-length gas system, but I still just don't like it...and I now have the funds for a new bullpup  Wink ).

With the above said...I'm looking at either the AUG A3 M1 or the Tavor (probably X95) as my next "go to" rifle.  I've never shot either, and the purchase would most likely be sight unseen, and hope that I like the ergonomics.  Both rifles seem to have great reliability and parts availability.  But I'm looking for opinions on something a bit more subjective, and that is target reacquisition.  I'm getting a little long in years, and steadiness is not one of my strong points any longer!!!  So, a rifle that stays on target better is probably one of the most important selling points for me.  The PS90 for example is perfect in that regards, in that I can fire off a 50 round mag from a full auto P90 without the muzzle moving much at all.  But, the PS90's 5.7mm cartridge is not a .223/5.56, and it's rather expensive to practice with week in and week out.

So, for those of you who might have both an AUG and Tavor, or fired them back to back, can you state that with the same ammo one stays on target better than the other when firing from the shoulder?

Also, I've read in the past that there might have been an issue with flyers with the Tavors, and I've seen a few videos of people talking about some barrel bushing or other item that may be the culprit.  Are flyers a real issue, or is that limited to one or two people and their particular rifles?  If this is/was a real issue, has it been addressed?  Are there any other issues related to Tavors that are problematic?  Are there any AUG/Tavor owners here that prefer one rifle over the other?  I'm very well aware of peculiarities and issues with the AUGs, but have no knowledge in regards to Tavors...

I do realize that the Tavor is more modular, can have either a horizontal or vertical foregrip, interchangeable main grip, changeable sides for the charging handle, more rails, and more aftermarket support, but accuracy, and keeping on target for follow-up shots is primary for me with my particular situation.

Thanks in advance!

Andy
MajorKong

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 12:33:36 PM »

Reacquisition - you might try an after-market muzzle brake.  There are several out there that will reduce recoil by 60-70%.  

Over-gassed - at least there are adjustable gas blocks and buffer springs for the AR15.  You'll get none of that for a X95 or SAR.  

Accuracy - The only accuracy issue I've ever seen with the X95 or SAR is horizontal stringing, which is from tilting the weapon while firing.  The SAR and X95 have higher sight over bore than the AR15 so horizontal stringing is more pronounced.  

I don't have an AUG so I know that my responses are not exactly what you are looking for.  But I really don't think that you need to change platforms to get the results that you are after.  

Shootingsight makes a stronger spring for the tavor.  They are the only company I am aware of that offers one. 

https://shootingsight.com/product/hers/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 04:09:56 PM by MajorKong » Logged
cciman

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 08:13:35 PM »

I've owned the AUG.

Aftermarket trigger options on the AUG are unreliable on a mass basis, as such the AUG trigger sucks balls for long range options. 

The Tavor trigger options (factory, Shooting Sight, Geissele) are quite reliable and established.  The factory X95/SAR trigger is just fine for most dedicated shooters, less so for weekend warriors with poor trigger habits.  That and the modular rail options, and aftermarket accessories avail for the IWI line put it above the AUG on a practical basis.  My opinion is that the SAR/X95 are more efficiently effective and cheaper and easier to own.
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 09:14:01 PM »

In a stock configuration, I felt the AUG has a better recoil cycle. Now, if you wanna throw on a muzzle brake or compensator, it'll be easier to do on the Tavor rifles due to using standard threads.

I'd honestly suggest doing what you can to handle one of each before you buy, I find the X-95 to feel comparably poor to the Tavor SAR, and I find the AUG to feel really natural in the shoulder and have a better balance to either of the Tavor rifles.

On average, I've seen people ring out better accuracy out of AUGs, using either a stock trigger or adding the RATworx sear. The Tavor can get a better trigger but you are gonna be paying 300$+ for a Geissele setup and a little less with other options. I don't see the value in dropping that much cash just for a better trigger, but that's just me.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:29:47 PM by Clarke-Sensei » Logged
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 09:34:55 PM »

I've had both the AUG and Tavor for quite awhile now and still have them.  There's a lot that can be said about both, but I think the defining difference for me is the trigger.  The AUG trigger in stock form is horrible.  I have a 20/20 sear in mine, and it makes the trigger "bearable".

The Tavor has trigger options that are quite good.  This is the big deal between the two as far as I'm concerned.

Both rifles are extremely reliable and durable.  I find both to be in the same accuracy node...about 1.5 MOA with 68g match ammo off of a bench, carefully bagged.  Frankly though, this isn't what bullpups like these two are for IMO.  I have a precision AR15 with a 24" barrel for that work.  Bullpups are action guns for the most part, and that's where they shine for me.  Strictly because of the AUG's trigger I used my Tavor in a SWAT school, and it performed flawlessly.

I still like my AUG.  I just wish a real aftermarket trigger was readily available.
cciman

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 10:12:44 PM »

So, for those of you who might have both an AUG and Tavor, or fired them back to back, can you state that with the same ammo one stays on target better than the other when firing from the shoulder?

I reread your post, and your real question.  I would opine that both have similar ergomics as far as recoil, so they are the same for a given shoioter. 
Rastoff

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 01:35:33 AM »

I have no experience with the AUG, but I submit this for being able to stay on or acquire a new target:

https://youtu.be/6TsIJY-7ssg

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length