Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 06:59:52 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  Steyr AUG magazine floorplate color question
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Steyr AUG magazine floorplate color question  (Read 146 times)
Andygold

« on: November 07, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »

I've been looking at picking up some OEM Austrian made magazines.

One vendor has 42 rounders with a choice of either green or black floorplates, green being $5 more expensive than black.

Then I see some 30 rounders from the same shop, again with choice of color for the FP.  This time though the black is $5 more expensive than the green.

What's the story on this?  Why would one color be more expensive on a 42, but cheaper on a 30?  Is there some difference between colors that makes one more valuable or preferred?

I'm looking at purchasing (2) 42 round magazines, and I'm wondering why I would or should pay $5 more to get a green floorplate as opposed to getting one with a black FP.

TIA,

Andy
bravo619

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »

If Pete has them you will be hard pressed to beat his price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/bravo619/458.gif
Andygold

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 02:24:12 PM »

I queried the vendor and he responded the difference in price was due to varying supply and demand.  I ended up buying (2) 42 round, Austrian-made mags with green floorplates for under $50 shipped.  He has them on closeout.

I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to post vendor info, or not.

If I'm allowed, please let me know, as these seem to be a great deal for 42s and 30s for under $20 each shipped (free shipping if you meet a certain low-dollar threshold).

I have no connection with this vendor in any way shape or form!
LazyEngineer

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 12:39:58 PM »

It's market fluctuation on pricing, as there is no fabrication cost difference.  Green can be more popular than black, because it matches the color of the green stock that tended to be the most common color.  Black is more general.

For performance - for most people it won't matter.   I will say, it has been said that black polymers are inherently strong polymers, than colored.  And this is the reason MagPul stopped making multi-colored mags, but switched back to just black.   For what it's worth - someone here did note that he cracked a green floorplate, but never broke a black one, so maybe.

For me, I prefer black floor-plates now - for potential strength reasons; but if green were cheaper, I'd happily buy that.  Most of mine are green floorplate, and I haven't broken one yet (and  they do hit the deck on rapid-loads)
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length