Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 07:10:36 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  Which side for 45 drgree offset sights?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Which side for 45 drgree offset sights?  (Read 208 times)
johnmcd88

« on: November 02, 2018, 01:52:50 PM »

Hi all,

The top rail on my X95 is pretty full (Vortex Strikefire RDS, 3X magnifier & Streamlight TLR), but there are a few empty slots so I was thinking about installing a set of 45 degree offset sights as a BUIS. Most of the images I've seen show that people tend to put them on the right side of their weapon, which seems to make the most sense from an ergonomic perspective. However, I'm a bit concerned about the brass coming out of the ejection port if I do that. I have a Percival Armaments deflector, so that may not be too big of an issue. Are there any significant issues/considerations with putting them on the left side, or is it mostly a matter of personal preference?

Thanks
johnmcd88

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 02:52:52 PM »

One other item I just thought of - having them on the left might interfere with the charging handle - when I get them I'll try it out and report back.
Rastoff

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 01:40:33 AM »

Where it is placed is a matter of functionality. For a right shoulder shooter, it goes on the right side. For a left shoulder shooter, it goes on the left. If shooting off the right shoulder, just try to cant your gun 45 to the right and shoot it. Not only is it awkward, it's darn near impossible to get a cheek weld in that position.

I tried to have a 45 offset sight for close up work with an ACOG on top. A friend told me that it would end up as just another part in the spare parts bin after a while. He was right. For competition shooters there is a value, but very few use them with success.

Save your money, save the weight, leave the 45 sight off. You'll be fine without it. Spend that money on ammo and training/practice. You'll thank me later.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 05:16:10 PM »

Where it is placed is a matter of functionality. For a right shoulder shooter, it goes on the right side. For a left shoulder shooter, it goes on the left. If shooting off the right shoulder, just try to cant your gun 45 to the right and shoot it. Not only is it awkward, it's darn near impossible to get a cheek weld in that position.

I tried to have a 45 offset sight for close up work with an ACOG on top. A friend told me that it would end up as just another part in the spare parts bin after a while. He was right. For competition shooters there is a value, but very few use them with success.

Save your money, save the weight, leave the 45 sight off. You'll be fine without it. Spend that money on ammo and training/practice. You'll thank me later.

Agreed... experimented using one with my TA11 acog. I mounted it on the right using a 45 degree mount on my SAR. It felt very weird on a bullpup. It worked better on my AR. I took it off after a couple range sessions.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »

Offset irons dont work well with bullpups in my experience...
johnmcd88

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 09:59:26 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback. The reason I was asking is that the factory pop-up iron sights on the top rail are covered, so I was looking for a way to have some backup iron sights in case my optics died. I just received the 45 degree set I ordered and I'll give them a try this weekend, although it sounds like it'll be a case of everyone telling me not to touch something because it's hot but I have to touch it to find out for myself 8-)
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 10:48:08 AM »

Just buy a quality optic with a QD mount...if somehow the optic goes down...QD it off and pop up the irons...no need to spend money on something you will probably never use...heck...many professionally now leaving off BUIS all together since quality optics are so reliable...

Now if you are running cheapo optics...then I guess you need to worry about  reliability.
Rastoff

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 12:15:50 PM »

Yeah, if all you want are back up sights, the 45 offset is not a great way to go. The QD mount is money better spent.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length