Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2018, 07:29:32 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  RDB, bolt stuck to the rear
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RDB, bolt stuck to the rear  (Read 306 times)
Whoops

« on: November 02, 2018, 04:52:27 AM »

Hey y'all, got an interesting one for you.

A while back my dad got himself an RDB, a gun we were both excited for. Unfortunately... His had a defective gas block, which was resolved by KT fairly quickly. We got it back and we're at the range and suddenly we get the bolt locking back, ALL the way back. It won't go forward. I ended up fixing this the first time by disassembling the rifle, and something released the tension and the bolt flew onto his table. After confirming that no parts were missing, we put the rifle back together, and cycled it and everything seemed to be holding up just fine. He went out to shoot with his buddy the other day and called me, telling me the boot was stuck back again. Anyone know what's up?

I wonder if it's possible that it is being over gassed, and the force is causing it to bind up... Somewhere. Honestly that sounds like a weak explanation so I was wondering if you guys had any idea? I'm calling kt when I get off work today to get them to send us a shipping label but I want to see if y'all have heard of this malfunction and if so, do you know what's causing it?

My dad and I have been KT fans for years cause of their cool designs, but we have since had 5/6 of their firearms have complete failures on us. It's getting hard I be a fan (except their CS is damn good so not gonna lie that helps).
waffenmeister

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 09:40:27 AM »

Do you mean only bolt or the whole bolt assembly carriage?
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 09:06:52 PM »

yeah, you lost me a little bit when you mentioned the bolt flew out.  not sure how that would happen as it rides/glides within the bolt stop weldment and the bolt is secure by the cam pin.  regardless, i might have read somewhere on KT forum of a similar incident, but would need to look back.

when it locked back what happened when you tried pressing the bolt release?  did the bolt release budge at all?  likewise, what happened when you tried to release the bolt using the charging handle?

it's funny, many fancy the RDB being manufactured by the likes of IWI or FN; premium build in other words.  the design of the RDB really is brilliant, but it's a shame reading reports of failures due to mediocre materials being used and subpar QC.

you're not kidding though, their CS is stellar.   
Whoops

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 09:24:34 AM »

Do you mean only bolt or the whole bolt assembly carriage?

yeah, you lost me a little bit when you mentioned the bolt flew out.  not sure how that would happen as it rides/glides within the bolt stop weldment and the bolt is secure by the cam pin.  regardless, i might have read somewhere on KT forum of a similar incident, but would need to look back.

My bad, the bolt assembly and everything.

when it locked back what happened when you tried pressing the bolt release?  did the bolt release budge at all?  likewise, what happened when you tried to release the bolt using the charging handle?

The bolt release was definitively frozen. Perhaps if i had operated the bolt release from both sides or put absolutely everything I had into it, it would have gone. But this wasn't the case... this time. The charging handle had no tension on it, but wouldn't travel all the way back either, it must have been running into something.

I ended up opening up the clamshell, which allowed the bolt to fly into battery. I can't remember what I did last time that allowed the whole assembly to shoot out, but this time everything just went back to it's home position. I suspect now that it's a bolt catch issue, but I won't be sure until it happens again and I find a way to look more at the bolt catch.

it's funny, many fancy the RDB being manufactured by the likes of IWI or FN; premium build in other words.  the design of the RDB really is brilliant, but it's a shame reading reports of failures due to mediocre materials being used and subpar QC.

you're not kidding though, their CS is stellar.   

KT's service department will always have a special place in my heart. But yeah, their QC issues... it makes it hard to be the only person in the room saying you like what they make, cause most people assume they've got messed up designs when overall it seems to be a QC issue only.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 12:33:08 PM »

But yeah, their QC issues... it makes it hard to be the only person in the room saying you like what they make, cause most people assume they've got messed up designs when overall it seems to be a QC issue only.

to me it's easier to take a chance on something that's relatively inexpensive by comparison.  yeah the stigma of unreliable or cheap seems forever ingrained in the minds of many and fairly so, but it didn't stop me from taking a chance because the design was so intriguing to me.  again, the low cost certainly swayed my decision.  

my RDB has been a dream thus far.  no jams in over 2k rounds at all...no issues whatsoever aside from a single firing pin breaking.  when it happened i received replacement pins 2 days later in the mail.  i dealt with the same customer service rep each time and the service was what you'd dream for with regard to customer service.  there were issues reported of the extractor pin walking out on the bolt so i put in a ticket for that although i had no issues.  they sent me the new revised bolt that corrected the alleged problem...that got to me in 2-3 days; i've never needed it...and not a cent out of my pocket for anything.    

now, with what's going on with the DT MDR for as much as it is it really is unacceptable.  at one point, on this forum anyway, it seemed like every new owner was reporting something wrong with theirs to the point of making Kel-Tec look like Honda.  to each their own and how they spend their money, but for me personally that's just too much money to spend on a hit or miss item with no prior track record.  i setup funding for the rifle 2 yrs ago or so for the MDR and because of the QC issues and ongoing delays i've decided it will go to the Tavor 7.  DT didn't handle the situation well at all and tarnished the image i had of them in the process.  even so, i support their efforts and hope they correct all the issues in transitioning to the autoloading side of the market.  i'll keep my eye on them and hope to own an MDR or variant one day.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 12:39:57 PM by HBeretta » Logged
Whoops

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 04:22:54 PM »

But yeah, their QC issues... it makes it hard to be the only person in the room saying you like what they make, cause most people assume they've got messed up designs when overall it seems to be a QC issue only.

to me it's easier to take a chance on something that's relatively inexpensive by comparison.  yeah the stigma of unreliable or cheap seems forever ingrained in the minds of many and fairly so, but it didn't stop me from taking a chance because the design was so intriguing to me.  again, the low cost certainly swayed my decision.  

my RDB has been a dream thus far.  no jams in over 2k rounds at all...no issues whatsoever aside from a single firing pin breaking.  when it happened i received replacement pins 2 days later in the mail.  i dealt with the same customer service rep each time and the service was what you'd dream for with regard to customer service.  there were issues reported of the extractor pin walking out on the bolt so i put in a ticket for that although i had no issues.  they sent me the new revised bolt that corrected the alleged problem...that got to me in 2-3 days; i've never needed it...and not a cent out of my pocket for anything.    

now, with what's going on with the DT MDR for as much as it is it really is unacceptable.  at one point, on this forum anyway, it seemed like every new owner was reporting something wrong with theirs to the point of making Kel-Tec look like Honda.  to each their own and how they spend their money, but for me personally that's just too much money to spend on a hit or miss item with no prior track record.  i setup funding for the rifle 2 yrs ago or so for the MDR and because of the QC issues and ongoing delays i've decided it will go to the Tavor 7.  DT didn't handle the situation well at all and tarnished the image i had of them in the process.  even so, i support their efforts and hope they correct all the issues in transitioning to the autoloading side of the market.  i'll keep my eye on them and hope to own an MDR or variant one day.

I went ahead and took a chance with an MDR- a local lgs had one and I thought "well, lets see how bad it can be". Only 80 rounds through it, 1 failure to fire that was caused I think by bad ammo, which was resolved by rechambering the failed round. Otherwise... mine had been pretty great so far. I'm thinking about picking up my own rdb as well though for 5.56- the mdr in 5.56 doesn't interest me at all.
waffenmeister

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 04:01:02 AM »

Sorry for the delay with reply

The issue with the bolt return mechanism is well known. It is a sure quality issue which comes from awfully cheap TIG welding materials used during the assembly. This failure affects random number of rifles in all series. Welcome to KelTec family ))))))

KelTec acknowledges this issue and thus provides fix....of some sort. here is how it looks when it is back from the factory refubrish.

* qW3YlrZ.jpg (588.2 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 44 times.)
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length