Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 07:21:06 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  handload more accurate ammo for SAR or x95
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: handload more accurate ammo for SAR or x95  (Read 286 times)
rockwind1

« on: October 27, 2018, 08:51:10 PM »

so i am reluctantly resigned to the fact that 2 moa is about the best accuracy i will get with these rifles,,,,not sure what it is, must be the bolt faceor the barrel cause my ar's with a 16" barrel can shoot sub moa.   I AM NOT b****ING ABOUT THE TAVORS, LET ME BE CLEAR, I REALLY LIKE THEM.    BUT,,,,    are there any experts on here who know exactly why they are stock not as acccurate as a quality AR?

and  has anyone spent time trying to get one to shoot sub moa?     to me,   to get a platform like these or the AR to shoot sub moa,,, it goes like this,,,, optic, trigger, quality barrel.   those are the big three.    IMHO, YMMV.   

already got the geiselle set up in both my x95 and sar.    got quality optics.     any guru's got anything else that that they have tried?    handload is only thing left.    not sure if anyone makes a quality aftermarket barrel for the tavor.   

thanks
boscoman

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 10:46:29 PM »

No one makes an after market barrel.

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
rockwind1

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 11:55:28 PM »

has anyone tightened up groups with a particular load/bullet or handloading in general?  i just don't want to chase my tail around after something that is unobtainable.   
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:35:04 AM »

so i am reluctantly resigned to the fact that 2 moa is about the best accuracy i will get with these rifles,,,,not sure what it is, must be the bolt faceor the barrel cause my ar's with a 16" barrel can shoot sub moa.   I AM NOT b****ING ABOUT THE TAVORS, LET ME BE CLEAR, I REALLY LIKE THEM.    BUT,,,,    are there any experts on here who know exactly why they are stock not as acccurate as a quality AR?

and  has anyone spent time trying to get one to shoot sub moa?     to me,   to get a platform like these or the AR to shoot sub moa,,, it goes like this,,,, optic, trigger, quality barrel.   those are the big three.    IMHO, YMMV.   

already got the geiselle set up in both my x95 and sar.    got quality optics.     any guru's got anything else that that they have tried?    handload is only thing left.    not sure if anyone makes a quality aftermarket barrel for the tavor.   

thanks

Tavor's design was never after absolute accuracy nor will it ever be...its a combat rifle first and foremost (heck even a HK416 doesnt shoot sub-MOA)...we will probably never see sub-MOA accuracy out of this platform...the way the receiver fits into the poly body...then to the barrel attachment setup...it allows only so much accuracy to be squeezed out...many don't give the AR platform the credit it deserves...but its a finely designed setup.
Rastoff

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 09:58:41 PM »

I have done some searching, but I too think 2MOA is what we've got and will get. I have shot sub MOA groups:

But I wouldn't rely on that as it is an infrequent occurrence.

I shot this target off-hand:

As you can see, thinking of the X95 as a 2MOA gun is a good operational consideration.

I can repeat this accuracy with both 55gr and 62gr bullets.  I did some shooting with 75gr rounds, but didn't see enough of a change to make me switch to the heavier round. I've just settled myself that this is not a precision gun. A 100 yards I can put a round within 3" of my POA (6" spread) and that's good enough to hit the thoracic cavity of a bad guy while standing off-hand.

If I rest the gun either prone or on some kind of support on a bench, I can ring a 12"x12" piece of steel with every shot out to 300 yards (longest range at my club). Again, this is good enough for what I want this rifle for.

At a class I was able to hit the 6" center of a steel silhouette at 400 yards 8 out of 10 shots. I also hit a target at 1,200 yards, but it was about 4'x8' and I'm calling that luck. This was using 62gr Federal rounds.

I think someone who is better than I am will be able to do better. But for now, I couldn't be happier that this gun performs as well as it does.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length