Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 06:59:12 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Bolts & Carriers Not Engraved?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bolts & Carriers Not Engraved?  (Read 698 times)
Bryan Bryan

« on: October 26, 2018, 03:37:51 PM »

I have a couple of X95s, and it does not appear the bolts and carriers are engraved to indicate which rifle they belong to.

On my AKs, the bolts and carriers are engraved with the last 3 digits of the serial number of the receiver they belong to. This helps to prevent interchanging bolts and carriers when field stripping more than one rifle at a time.

Did I overlook something here?
cciman

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 08:07:24 PM »

I always thought the concept is that you can throw the parts into a bucket, pull them out at random and still make a functioning rifle.

I want my Tavors, AK's, and Glocks, to do that.   ARs, maybe???     1911's-- nah, NFW! 

Rastoff

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 12:42:10 AM »

I always thought the concept is that you can throw the parts into a bucket, pull them out at random and still make a functioning rifle.
That would be nice, but IWI makes a big deal about head space and they say each bolt should be matched to each barrel.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
cciman

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 11:35:27 PM »

That would be nice, but IWI makes a big deal about head space and they say each bolt should be matched to each barrel.

How do they keep track of the parts, and not get them accidentally mixed up at the factory if they are not marked -  and are the bolts individually matched to the barrels manually, or just quality checked?
I'm skeptical.

Rastoff

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 07:35:31 PM »

My money is on the lawyers.

I'll bet the specs are close enough that the bolts will pass a head space check with any barrel. Further, I'll bet that IWI does a head space check as one of the last steps before test firing.

The "big deal" is that it could be a lawsuit if they don't make a point to check it. Bad head space could be an issue. Even in ARs it should be checked before firing a new bolt/barrel combination.

Freedom isn't free.
Bryan Bryan

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 08:36:22 PM »

Are AR15s the same way, no engraving on bolts and carriers?

I've only owned AKs and now X95s, so I am curious about ARs in this regard.
JRKrejsa

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 12:58:47 AM »

None on the three of the species I own.  But there are so many different kinds of AR, itís possible .
Bryan Bryan

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 01:53:20 AM »

IWI said only proof marks or batch numbers, nothing to indicate which rifle the parts belong to.
Bryan Bryan

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 07:02:22 PM »

IWI said only proof marks or batch numbers, nothing to indicate which rifle the parts belong to.
They also said the same thing about their Galil rifles.

Galils are AKs, and we know bolts and carriers in AKs should not be interchanged between rifles without checking headspace and re-headspacing if needed.

It appears from this that it IS NOT SAFE to interchange bolts and carriers in Tavor rifles without checking headspace and re-headspacing if needed.
boscoman

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 09:15:47 PM »

Galils are AKs, and we know bolts and carriers in AKs should not be interchanged between rifles without checking headspace and re-headspacing if needed.

It appears from this that it IS NOT SAFE to interchange bolts and carriers in Tavor rifles without checking headspace and re-headspacing if needed.

Funny. I have 3 Galils, two in 7.62 & one in 5.56. I threw AK stainless bolt carriers into all 3, have run thousands of rounds through them with out a single issue. I know of quite a few that have also done this & not one of us has ever checked headspace.

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
Bryan Bryan

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 09:34:57 PM »

Funny. I have 3 Galils, two in 7.62 & one in 5.56. I threw AK stainless bolt carriers into all 3, have run thousands of rounds through them with out a single issue. I know of quite a few that have also done this & not one of us has ever checked headspace.
I may have overspoke. Headspace exists between the bolt and barrel. It may be possible to swap in a different carrier and not affect headspace.
Bryan Bryan

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 09:49:33 PM »

In fact, it looks like IWI's replacement barrels come with headspaced bolts. Carriers are not included, so that appears to settle the issue right there. Apparently the old carrier can be reused with the new barrel and headspaced bolt.
Bryan Bryan

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 09:57:54 PM »

Probably what affected my thinking is that the carriers and bolts are both engraved on my AKs. As far as headspacing goes, it might only be necessary to engrave the bolts. Possibly on my AKs, the carriers are fitted in some way to the receivers or ejectors such that it is best not to interchange the carriers. Just guessing. Don't really know.
Rastoff

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 12:50:49 AM »

Head space is defined only when the bolt is closed and locked. The carrier is not part of the head space measurement.

Freedom isn't free.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length