Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2018, 08:23:49 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  Kel Tec failure to fire
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Kel Tec failure to fire  (Read 471 times)
Patriotic Shepherd

« on: October 19, 2018, 12:36:59 AM »

I purchased a keltec RDB about a month or two ago. During this time I put about fifty rounds +  through it sighting it in and chased off one coyote from my flock of sheep. It has functioned flawlessly. Then this past weekend I decided to sight it in again and do a little target practice with a thermold had purchased from a local sporting good store. Wanted to buy a 30 round pmag but the stores around here don't carry them. The first shot fired but the second didn't, I just heard a loud click, after removing the mag and ejecting the round I found that the bullet had been pushed back into the case and it had no mark on the primer. I reloaded and this happen again so I manually ejected most of the magazine only to see this happen on all the bullets. When I took the mag out I noticed that the follower had tipped forward and bullets were pointing slightly Down. I didn't see this condition the other times I checked the mag after each time it dry fired with a round in the action. I am using American Eagle 62 grain green tip, and the mag had been half loaded with 15 rounds sitting their Incase a coyote attacked my sheep  for about a month. Prior to this it was a new mag. Switching the the 20 round pmag it came with seems to have fixed the problem. Is this an ammo issue? A mag issue or a gun issue? This is a great gun and I am perplexed by the sudden malfunctioning as previously to this weekend it was functioning flawlessly, and I have never seen a bullet pushed back into the case before. I also had a double feed prior to manually emptying the magazine in which the second bullet or something partially caved in the the side of the brass on the first round, put a big dent into it.

This is the easiest gun I have ever had around my sheep so. The sing point sling and short length allow me to work with my sheep and be ready for a coyote. So I want to resolve this issue I need it to be reliable because we also have black bear that occasion come withing few hundred yards and if they get closer and are hungry for lamb chops I need a reliable follow up shots..
waffenmeister

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 03:09:01 AM »

You have a defective gun. Please contact the warranty service.

Following issues are considered as "normal expected operation"
- Failure to eject with severe brass damage due to wrong gas piston setup
- Double feed if gas piston setup was wrong
- Ejection port becomes slightly bent
- Bent ejected brass

However if you notice that
- Bullet sets deeper based on mag type
- broken firing pin
- ejector pins, ejector spring and retainers loss
- hammer failure (cracks and broken)
- failure to lock bolt
- gas piston rod comes out of welding fixation or welding has cracks
- bolt welding has cracks
Then IMMEDIATELY stop using the gun and contact the warranty service.
Patriotic Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 07:31:20 AM »

Where did you find that info? I can't find it anywhere in my user manual. I even searched a PDF for some of the words you mentioned.

Why would that gun and mag go from function flawlessly, ( that was the mag I was using for my fifty + rounds I shot over the last month.) To malfunctioning?

What physically is going on so I can inspect the rifle. It seems to me that something doesn't go from flawless with any type of mag to malfunction without a fiscal change. While I may be new to .223 I am not new to production as I have a bachelor's of science in Industrial Arts, management tract with classes in quality control, machining, welding, casting and quality control and I have professional expierance as quality control for a major automotive company inspecting welds, machining and castings.

waffenmeister

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 07:51:39 AM »

Just google "Kel Tec RDB issue malfunction defect broken" and enjoy the drama.

My personal issue quest have started from broken firing pin. Which appears to be nothing compared to other issues
Mag issue seems to start from bent mag holder\release and plastic defects in the mag shaft
Especially if you load the mag to full capacity.

And yes, user manual wont tell you things like these.

PS: please add loosen bolts which hold top picattiny mount into Normal Operation section. And always hold proper hex keys with you to fix this issue. LockTight fluid wont help for long term.
Patriotic Shepherd

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 08:45:43 AM »

Wow! Are you sure someone isn't messing with you? You don't have a "friend" who secretly either hates you or doesn't trust with a gun do you, or your on someone's radar to have that much bad luck. That seems so out of the ordinary for KelTec. I have used keltec for over 10 years and this is the first failure to fire I have ever had.
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 11:09:18 AM »

Wow! Are you sure someone isn't messing with you? You don't have a "friend" who secretly either hates you or doesn't trust with a gun do you, or your on someone's radar to have that much bad luck. That seems so out of the ordinary for KelTec. I have used keltec for over 10 years and this is the first failure to fire I have ever had.

Ummm... Kel-Tec is known for QC issues for decades now bro. I’ve been a competitive shooter for close to 35 years. There is an old saying that goes something like “it’s a Kel-Tec man”...

The phrase has meaning to a lot of people. Expect problems! Kel-Tec warranty dept is probably busier than their sales department. They have an amazing RD department which comes up with some of the coolest ideas and designs in the industry, BUT their execution and materials leave much to be desired.

They are a small niche boutique firearm maker that produces “fun range guns”, not “serious defensive firearms”.
Patriotic Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 05:37:50 PM »

Are these the keltec men you were talking about?

https://youtu.be/zgvfRinUaQM
Patriotic Shepherd

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 05:39:30 PM »

You'll have to copy and past the link....
Patriotic Shepherd

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 05:48:09 PM »

Personally I have fired the M4 select fire carbines that the swat team for the police dept. I volunteered for and I have fired keltec and while M4 are ergonomic keltec is a better defense platform within the limitation they don't have an ejection port cover. I know for a fact that Federal agents purchase keltec and have handeled and fired keltecs purchased by the feds and they are works of art. Like I said I have never seen one fail to fire before ever. 
waffenmeister

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 03:07:35 AM »

Grin There are evidence of 5000+ shots before something breaks in RDB\RFB
In the same time there is the same amount of evidence that RDB/RFB fails almost the same day when it had been purchased.
Unfortunately, I belong to the second group.

As for special operation units with KelTecs, I would like to see their personal reports on firearms in 2-3 months.
waffenmeister

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 02:47:43 AM »

Aaaand yesterday my firing pin broke again. 120 shots after the warranty service. KelTec sucks ((((
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 03:35:29 PM »

If your follower is tipping forward, it sounds like a magazine issue. I would use a different mag and see if the problem persists. I use Lancers in mine and have no problems. My Keltec has also been problem free for the most part.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length