Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2018, 07:20:59 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Bolt Observation regarding Headspace
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bolt Observation regarding Headspace  (Read 306 times)
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: October 06, 2018, 11:09:54 AM »

So. I recently acquired a Tavor SAR...factory configuration is right handed but it also came with a complete factory Tavor SAR 5.56 LH conversion kit (barrel, bolt carrier group etc...the $899 version).

I took both bolts and took measurements with my digital caliper.

Both bolts had exactly the same measurements down to 1/100th of MM...including bolt face depth.

Then I took go no-go and both bolts works in the specific RH and LH "headspaced" barrel. So it begs the question...how much does headspace really differ from barrel to barrel on the Tavor? Maybe because both of my bolts work in both of my barrels is due to them being factory headspaced but wouldn't that be the same from barrel to barrel from the OEM?

I honestly do not see how headspace and/or bolts could vary so much that IWI would spend many labor hours manually matching up bolts before shipping rifles. So on my platform...I guess it is safe to say...I can use either barrel with either bolt.

I reckon the whole sending in the bolt for conversion is nothing but smoke screen to cover IWI's rear end.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:11:31 AM by thehun » Logged
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 11:43:17 PM »

Interesting...the official IWI Armorer's Manual also does not state to perform a headspace check when doing a conversion:

Weapon Conversion from 
Right Handed to Left Handed User
General
This chapter describes the procedure for converting the weapon from right handed to left handed user.
Conversion Process
The following paragraphs provide step-by-step conversion instructions:
a.
Change cocking handle from left side to right side as follows:
1)   Remove cocking handle
assembly from the receiver.
2)   Remove pin securing cocking handle to cocking handle cup.
3)   Remove cocking bar
subassembly from the left side slot
 of the cocking  guide and change
it to the right side.
4)   Connect the cocking handle to cocking cup and insert the securing pin.
b.
Assemble the cocking handle assemb
ly and change front swivel from left side to right side as
follows:
1)   Insert front swivel bur to the rifle on the left side.
2)   Screw the securing nut on the right side.
3)   Insert the ejector pin.
c.
Change safety lever from left side to right side as follows:
1)   Remove safety lever from left side.
2)   Remove safety pivot cover from right side.
3)   Assemble safety lever on the right side.
4)   Assemble safety pivo
t cover on the left side.
Chapter 9
Tavor Assault Rifle – Armorer’s Manual 
9-2
d.
Change ejection port cover from left side to right side and the deflector from the right side to
the left side as follows:
1)   Remove ejection port cover by sliding it out to the butt direction.
2)   Remove ejection port shield.
3)   Unscrew the deflector screw.
4)   Remove the deflector from the right side.
5)   Assemble ejection port shield on the right ejection port.     
6)    Assemble  ejection  port  cover  on  the  right  ejection  port  by  sliding  into  the  ejection  port 
shield.   
7)   Assmble the deflector on the left dise and tighten the deflector screw.
e.
Change the bolt carrier as follows:
1)   Remove pin from right side of the
bolt and assemble it on the left side.
2)   Remove bolt carrier back pin from right side of the bolt and assemble it on the left side.
f.
Replace   right   handed   bolt   (part   no.   00.704.3101R)   by   left   handed   bolt   (part   no.   00.704.3101L).
cciman

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 12:36:55 PM »

If one is buying the parts made by IWI, I would opine that checking headspace is just an OCD precaution if installing as an individual, and/or expected as a quality measure if the factory is doing it.

TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 06:13:33 PM »

All probably based on liability and warranty claims reduction.  You're technically supposed to check headspace on an AR15 too, but almost no one does even when assembling parts from all over the market.

AR15's usually have generous chambers with a good deal of leeway to fire any type of ammo...also probably has some of this due to it being a combat designed platform.  I'd bet the Tavor has the same "fudge factor", but I don't know that for sure. 

I'm still leaning toward liability as the main motivator for most manufacturers to only authorize bolt and chamber combos that they've fitted...and those that don't probably have disclaimers.
Rastoff

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 07:43:57 PM »

Yep, it's a liability thing. I'm sure IWI does the best they can when making parts. Even the best companies can have defective stuff now and then. It's still good to check head space on any gun.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 07:50:44 PM »

Based on my findings...I would lean towards liability.

I would like to get my hands on a left handed bolt that wasn't a matched one to any of the barrels I own.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length