Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2018, 10:52:00 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  18.5" Barrel - Can the bayonette lug be removed?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 18.5" Barrel - Can the bayonette lug be removed?  (Read 486 times)
Rastoff

« on: September 14, 2018, 04:19:17 PM »

The reason the 18.5" barrel cannot be installed on an X95 that came with the 16.5" barrel is the bayonet lug won't fit through the forearm hole. So, if the lug is removed, it should fit, right?

Can that lug be removed? I mean, can I break out the Dremel and cut it off?

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 07:53:05 PM »

Isn't there some pin that holds it in place? You should be able to remove it by punching that out. Might leave some kind of groove behind though.

Are you sure you need to remove it in the first place? I thought the 18.5" X95 barrel was designed for the longer US foregrip.

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
konigstigerii

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 09:11:45 PM »

I just took a dremel and opened up the hole in the hand guard to fit over the bay lug. There is a pin holding it on, but I never tried to remove it, it may be pressed as well.
Rastoff

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 11:59:21 PM »

I was just concerned that it might be welded to the barrel somehow.

I'm not concerned if the barrel has a slight groove. I just want to fit it through the forearm without having to modify the forearm. Just a different way to look at it.

Are you sure you need to remove it in the first place? I thought the 18.5" X95 barrel was designed for the longer US foregrip.
Yes, I'm sure it would need to be removed (unless the forearm is modified). The length of the forearm is irrelevant. Even with the short forearm it wouldn't work because the forearm needs to be slipped over the muzzle to be installed.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
dntam

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 07:06:54 PM »

Donít remove the bayonet lug. Just cut or file a cross shaped hole in the hand guard cap. Thatís what is done with the 18 inch x95.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 07:30:54 PM »

I was just concerned that it might be welded to the barrel somehow.

I'm not concerned if the barrel has a slight groove. I just want to fit it through the forearm without having to modify the forearm. Just a different way to look at it.

Yes, I'm sure it would need to be removed (unless the forearm is modified). The length of the forearm is irrelevant. Even with the short forearm it wouldn't work because the forearm needs to be slipped over the muzzle to be installed.

You need to contact IWI about this before you go sawing off a functional part of your firearm. I have the short foregrip installed and it has a keyhole shape to allow it to clear the bayonet lug. It isn't necessary to remove the bayonet lug at all. Think about it--how would IWI be able to install the foregrips on their factory 18.5" X95s? The bayonet lug would have to be removed every time you wanted to remove the foregrip or the barrel? No way.

You're worrying about something that I'm 99.9% sure isn't even a problem. Give IWI a call and ask them about it--they'll clear things up for you.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 07:33:04 PM by BellatorInvictus » Logged

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 07:48:22 PM »

Ok Rastoff--I see what you're talking about now. The 16.5" version has a foregrip which does not have the keyhole shape for the bayonet lug. So there are TWO versions of the US long X95 foregrip--with and without keyhole for the bayonet lug. The short foregrip has the keyhole shape as well.

If I were you, I'd just get the long foregrip from IWI that has the keyhole so you don't have to chop your bayonet lug.

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length