Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 02:42:36 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  X95 - trouble disassembling BCG
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: X95 - trouble disassembling BCG  (Read 574 times)
CDG

« on: September 03, 2018, 08:09:22 PM »

Hey guys, bought a X95 in 5.56 and I'm having trouble disassembling the BCG. Every video I've watched shows to pull the buffer to the rear and have the lower rod protrude about a cm. I cannot pull back the buffer on mine. The lower rod also protrudes about an inch (not a cm.) Any suggestions?
Another thing I noticed is my bolt has two ejectors. Every pic/video I've seen, they have one. Is this something new IWI is doing?

20180903_151742 by Brian Speight, on Flickr
20180903_151800 by Brian Speight, on Flickr
SteveD

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 01:25:50 AM »

I don't have a x95, but I used to be puzzled at my SAR until I realized that rod has to be straightened out completely, if you know what I mean. Try that. Pull the lower rod towards the bolt and at the end of it's travel, give it an extra push.
l2a3

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 10:01:22 AM »

Here: Latest X95 Operators Manual from their store; bolt disassembly starts on Page 74.
 https://iwi.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/08.011.02.16.00-Tavor-X95.pdf

* OPERATORS MANUAL 08.011.02.16.00-Tavor-X95.pdf (13625.72 KB - downloaded 10 times.)
CDG

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 11:16:29 AM »

Appreciate the replies. I've tried everything and nothing works. l2a3, that's the manual mine came with and I've gone over it. What seems strange is there is no "window" at the front end of my BCG (where you can see the recoil spring.) The illustration in the manual shows the 5.56 version with a window and the 300BLK without a window. My rifle is 5.56 but the BCG looks like the 300BLK version...
l2a3

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 03:25:46 PM »

You will not see  the recoil spring as it is in the gas piston. That hole above your bolt is where "bolt rotation bar" protrudes through when the bolt is in the recoil position.

IWI has problems with their English translations. It seems that no one proofreads their manuals. ie. on page 74 of the X95  operators manual it says the bolt rotation bar sticks out of the back of the buffer bout 5/16" but the picture shows .31". They do not say the .31" is in the assembled ready to go back into the weapon position, not the disassemble position.

You do not pull the recoil spring, but the bolt rotation bar back (about 5/16 inch) till you feel it snap into the removal notch IN the buffer. If you are at 1 inch you may have passed the takedown notch in the buffer. The end of the bolt rotation bar should protrude out of the of the rear of buffer. 

I hope this helps otherwise I do more work by checking on mine.

cciman

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 08:21:32 PM »

Looks clean and virginal.  Whay are you wasting your time-  ahem, I meen taking it apart??

Squirt some oil on the side grooves and around the base of the bolt and shoot  500 rounds, then come back.  NO OIL ON THE PISTON.

I haven't taken mine apart for the past 9 months, so I'll have to do it again to refresh myself, how it's done.

BTW, putting it back together requires a tiny trick with the firing pin too, just to keep you on edge.
SteveD

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 03:31:02 AM »

Looks clean and virginal.  Whay are you wasting your time-  ahem, I meen taking it apart??

Squirt some oil on the side grooves and around the base of the bolt and shoot  500 rounds, then come back.  NO OIL ON THE PISTON.

I haven't taken mine apart for the past 9 months, so I'll have to do it again to refresh myself, how it's done.

BTW, putting it back together requires a tiny trick with the firing pin too, just to keep you on edge.

Looks like it's unfired and new. Perhaps he wants to clean off the factory grease and lube it himself.
GunStarHero

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 01:21:23 PM »

Looks like it's unfired and new. Perhaps he wants to clean off the factory grease and lube it himself.
Thats my guess. The time to fire an X95 or SAR straight the box without quick cleaning and lube has long since past...  Well, maybe someone out there just loves the new-gun smell of factory grease heating up, but I'd still just run a patch through the bbl first.

CDG, the dual extractors are normal. I forget the exact date but Tavor bolts were redesigned a few years ago.
Have you tried manipulating the bolt a bit while pulling the buffer back, then seeing if the retaining pin moves out? Also, on my early model (spring 13") SAR I found I didn't have to pull the lower rod as far back as some others mentioned, maybe don't yank it so far back as described?

I was actually going to clean mine tonight or tomorrow. I'll try to make note of what the issue might be in the process in case you're still stuck later.
CDG

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 01:26:16 PM »

Yup, looking to clean off all the factory grease and Froglube it up.

Still haven't gotten this damn bolt retaining pin out. I've literally tried everything I can think of.

The buffer on mine does not pull back, at all. it will only move forward, and spring back in place from the recoil spring.

Thats my guess. The time to fire an X95 or SAR straight the box without quick cleaning and lube has long since past...  Well, maybe someone out there just loves the new-gun smell of factory grease heating up, but I'd still just run a patch through the bbl first.

CDG, the dual extractors are normal. I forget the exact date but Tavor bolts were redesigned a few years ago.
Have you tried manipulating the bolt a bit while pulling the buffer back, then seeing if the retaining pin moves out? Also, on my early model (spring 13") SAR I found I didn't have to pull the lower rod as far back as some others mentioned, maybe don't yank it so far back as described?

I was actually going to clean mine tonight or tomorrow. I'll try to make note of what the issue might be in the process in case you're still stuck later.
konigstigerii

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 08:52:35 PM »

My X95 is the older bolt carrier, but you could punch out that roll pin that is holding the spring in, that would allow you to pull the spring assembly all the way out. I don't know if that is the correct way to do it, but if its similar to how the older bolts disassemble then it would work.
CDG

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 10:54:49 PM »

Got it sorted out. Another member on a different forum had the same problem. I just had to really pull back on the bolt rotation rod. To the point it almost felt like it was going to break! It's easier to do now though.
Rastoff

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 03:03:38 AM »

Just to answer the one question...yes, the new bolt has two ejectors in it. The original single ejector worked fine, but someone wanted a little more force on the ejection so, another ejector was added. I have the original single ejector and mine has yet to fail.

More on disassembling the bolt group in a bit.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
Rastoff

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 04:02:47 AM »

OK, now that I have some pics to work with, let's talk about the Recoil Mechanism.

Just a quick note about terminology. If you look it up in the manual, what you are calling the BCG is called the Recoil Mechanism by IWI. Most of us came from the world of ARs so, we use terms like BCG and Charging handle where IWI says Recoil Mechanism and Cocking Rod. I just want to use the terms you'll see in the manual if you go looking for this stuff.

Here is my Recoil Mechanism:

The red arrow is pointing to the window that I have, but you do not. Weird. Maybe they've updated the design since 2016? The blue arrow is pointing to the Bolt Guiding Pin. Both that pin and the bolt are contained in the Bolt Carrier Unit(BCU). The green arrow is pointing to the plastic buffer. The upper bar is called the return spring subassembly and the lower bar is called the rotation control bar. As shown in this pic, the Recoil Mechanism is ready to be inserted in the gun.

If you hold the BCU and pull on the plastic buffer, the BCU should slide back and forth freely about 2". As I do this on mine, I can see the spring in the window move to the rear like this:

Does yours not move freely this little bit?

When fully assembled and ready to install in the gun, the rotation control bar should be flush with the buffer like this:

You should be able to hold the buffer and pull the rotation control bar (lower bar) back and it should then protrude about 1cm (.31") like this:

It will be a little stiff to move, but it should move and you should feel a little detent. In your picture it is sticking much too far out. Of course at the disassembly process this won't matter. The idea is to get it out of the way so the Bolt Guiding Pin can be removed. If you can't get the rotation control bar to move back, the Bolt Guiding Pin won't come out and consequently the bolt won't come out.

OK, I said all that to be sure we're on the same page. This next part is guesswork from me.

Because you don't have the window, I suspect that you don't have the free 2" movement either. I don't think this is a drawback, but can't be sure unless I held yours in my hands. Regardless, you should be able to move the rotation control bar back like you have it. In your case it may need to be moved even a little further than you have it now. In my first pic you can see the rotation control bar protruding in front of the BCU just above the bolt. So, you can see that it needs to be moved back to clear the Bolt Guiding Pin. You may just have to move yours a little further and the pin will come out. Then the bolt will just slide out the front.

I know this is quite verbose, but I hope it helps a little.

Freedom isn't free.
MaverickNH

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 07:29:10 PM »

Yeah, I had to put it in a padded vice to get it out the first time. I cycled it a few dozen times and it eased so I can do it by hand now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rastoff

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 12:01:30 AM »

Is it possible you have a 9mm recoil mechanism? That's what the 9mm one looks like.

Freedom isn't free.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length