Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2018, 02:18:50 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Buy an SAR or no?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Buy an SAR or no?  (Read 1106 times)
Rockinar
New Posting Member

« on: August 20, 2018, 09:07:36 PM »

Thinking of buying an SAR. My concern is the future parts availability. I currently own a FS200 and theres no parts. You have to buy another  $2500 FS200 and cannibalize it for parts if you need them. Wondering if this will be the same for the SAR? I don't have any interest in the X95, I think it's too ugly and I like the SAR ergos better.
VASCAR2

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 09:57:03 PM »

I have a Tavor SAR and I have no intention of selling mine.  The IWI store sell parts for the SAR so if your concerned you could buy parts now while they are available.

The most common part to break is the barrel latching pin.  Users don't follow the instructions and can break the pin.   The charging handle have been known to break in the IDF.  I think the best option is to buy a folding charging handle like Gear Head works and keep the factory CH for a spare.   I'd want a replacement firing pin spring just to be on the safe side.

I personally don't know if I will shoot my Tavor enough to require replacement parts.   The only part I've considered changing is the butt pad for a Manticore Arms.  I've kind of held off because I'd like to try one first.

The Tavor is very robust and runs clean.   The accuracy of a Tavor SAR reminds me of a AK-74 with the reliability of a long stroke gas piston.

I did buy a Geissele Super Sabra trigger pack and added a tactical light.   I also put a sling swivel stud in the hole in the bottom of the SAR front hand guard.   I use this stud for my Harris bipod.   IWI put the threaded hole in the front hand guard purposely for a sling swivel bipod stud.

My SAR has proven accurate with my hand loads with 69 grain SMK and 55 grain FMJ.   I've tried 75 & 77 grain match bullets but it has been best with 69 grain SMK.  

Here is a picture of mine showing the bipod stud and a small red dot with riser I was testing.  My SAR normally wears a EO Tech 512 in a YHM riser mount.

Link to IWI Store for parts.

https://iwi.us/product-category/tavor-sar/

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:29:51 PM by VASCAR2 » Logged
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 10:10:50 PM »

Do it.

AE
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 10:48:51 PM »

TAVOR SAR is one gun I regret selling...I sold it to pluck down on an MDR...biggest regret I ever had in the history of me owning firearms.
boscoman

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 11:23:02 PM »

Have a SAR & X95. Prefer the ergonomics of the SAR to the X95. I say get it, you won't be sorry. I also don't see a problem with parts down the road since most of the workings are the same as the X95.

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 11:41:18 PM »

I don't really care for the IWI offerings, but the SAR felt far more comfortable to me when I got to play with the SAR and X-95. So I'd definitely vote for the SAR.
RebellionOnIce

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 12:01:32 AM »

Track record: The SAR had been through 5 wars.
Parts: IWI has said they will continue to service the SAR. They had sold a bunch of them world wide.
Manual of Arms: Just as fast as anything out there.
Atermarket: Lot's to choose from.
Ergos: Sexy

Click that Buy it Now button. You won't regret it.
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 10:20:37 AM »

Love my SAR and would never sell it. I looked at the X95 but prefer the more comfortable and accurate SAR.

Itís an awesome rifle and the upgrades I would recommend are Gearheadworks folding charging handle, Super Sabre hammer pack and lightning bow.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 01:06:12 PM »

Thinking of buying an SAR. My concern is the future parts availability. I currently own a FS200 and theres no parts. You have to buy another  $2500 FS200 and cannibalize it for parts if you need them. Wondering if this will be the same for the SAR? I don't have any interest in the X95, I think it's too ugly and I like the SAR ergos better.

When you say FS200, I'm guessing you mean FS2000?  This gun is still in production isn't it?  If parts aren't available this sounds more like a manufacturer/supplier issue.  Back to the SAR/X95 for one, the SAR and X95 contain similar critical service parts.  Secondly the SAR is in service around the world in some decent numbers, so service parts will be more available longer.

Between the SAR and X95, I think they are pretty much equal in performance and quality.  I think it comes down to ergonomics and manual-of-arms preference.  I found it strange that since I'm also a big AR15/10 fan that the I preferred the SAR mag release and bolt drop to my AR's.  And I found it strange that my muscle/brain memory with AR's didn't screw me up with my SAR.  I this issue for most folks is a little overblown, but I still think the choice comes down to your preferred ergonomics.
Rockinar
New Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 06:34:14 PM »

I ordered an 16" SAR. Should have it Monday or Tuesday.
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 07:02:30 PM »

I ordered an 16" SAR. Should have it Monday or Tuesday.

Excellent choice, man.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 07:49:49 PM »

The Tavor SAR is a classic gun and one of the most comfortable, well-balanced firearms ever made. It's a solid choice. I have both a Tavor and a Micro Tavor, and they feel and handle very differently. I don't consider the Micro Tavor to be the Tavor 2.0. It's more like the Tavor's younger sister--similar, from the same family, but different.

Enjoy the SAR! What optic are you planning to use?

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
RebellionOnIce

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 10:50:38 PM »

When you were thinking about buying the SAR did you have another rifle in contention? If so I'm curios to what one came in 2nd place.
Also, what color did you get?
Congrates on your new rifle. I'm sure she will not let you down.
Rockinar
New Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 04:01:10 PM »

When you were thinking about buying the SAR did you have another rifle in contention? If so I'm curios to what one came in 2nd place.
Also, what color did you get?
Congrates on your new rifle. I'm sure she will not let you down.

It arrived sooner than expected.

Long story, in 2009 I wanted an FS2000 really bad. The space gun looking one with the scope. I thought they were the coolest looking gun ever. I had one in my hands at a gun show and procrastinated and never bought it. Fast forward to the gun panic of 2013. That model FS has been discontinued and now theres a gun panic and people asking absurd prices so I had to settle for the tactical model with the rail as my panic purchase. I never liked the gun. I totally loved the ergos of it but just thought it looked strange without the scope and never loved it. It sat in my safe ever since. I only shot 5 rounds through it. Now the same situation with the SAR being phased out. I was looking for a new gun, wanted something a bit different and I wanted something compact. I was looking a a Zastava M92 with a brace, a Galil with brace or the SAR. I have never shot a gun with a brace on it, but it looks like you need T Rex arms to do it if you shoulder the brace. It does not look comfortable. I'm not spending $1800 for find out I dont like it so that eliminated the Galil. M92 is cheap but I already have an AK and the way the brace mounds is odd. Was not sure how I would feel about that. I have never shot a Tavor but held them at gun shows and knew I would like the ergos of it, looks cool, it's SBR size and you don't need a tax stamp or T-rex arms to shoot it. On top of that its being phased out and so I did not want to miss the boat again because the X95 is not an option. It's just ugly to me. So I got the SAR.

I chose black because I dont like green and the tan ones look like they show all the dirt on them.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:03:32 PM by Rockinar » Logged
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 04:13:17 PM »

She's a beauty for sure. Glad you got one! The US civvie X95 as it comes stock looks ugly to me too, which is why I've been trying to make it into an IDF clone. It looks a lot better with the short furniture (and feels lighter and more balanced).

Congrats again on the SAR and thanks for sharing.

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
RebellionOnIce

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2018, 08:06:16 PM »

Good story, I get how panics can manipulate the market.
I like the color choice. Welcome to the club!

* D60.jpg (1139.68 KB, 653x368 - viewed 63 times.)
Rastoff

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2018, 08:44:50 PM »

I don't think the X95 looks ugly, but to each his own. I'm glad you got what you wanted.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
cciman

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 10:09:08 PM »

After 3-6 months, you will want the younger sister.   Wink

Start banking your money.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length