Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 03:42:49 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Ammo for the AUG
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ammo for the AUG  (Read 774 times)
Mirzayev

« on: August 11, 2018, 01:10:18 AM »

I'm wondering what type of ammo you guys shoot through your AUGs, and how they perform in general.

I have been shooting primarily IMI M193 55 grain FMJ through my AUG with zero issues so far. I've got about 900 rounds or so fired off at this point, all of which had acceptable accuracy for a bulk-type of ammo. I've heard some horror stories about getting bad ammunition from IMI, but I haven't experienced anything. As an unexpected plus, identifying your brass at the end of a range day is easy due to the primer having a red circle surrounding it.  Grin

I shot a box of 120 rounds of Federal American Eagle XM193 prior to picking up the IMI stuff. I can't say that I noticed anything notable for accuracy changes compared to IMI, but for whatever reason one of my Steyr mags didn't play well with that ammo at all. Loading a magazine with 5 rounds and then shoving it into the magazine well produced the top round popping out of the magazine almost every time. I'm not sure if this was due to user error (I had just gotten the rifle at this point), or if for whatever reason my magazine and the AE ammo just weren't made for each other. I used up the box, and then moved onto IMI.
tsh77769

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 05:18:27 AM »

The only ammo I have ever HEARD (not seen or experienced) of not firing in an AUG was, decades ago,  PMC .223 and the allegation was light primer strikes.

Me personally, I have a few thousand rounds through both semi and full auto AUGs.

I recall having used...

Remington .223 55gr FMJ green and white box.

Winchester White Box .223 55gr FMJ.

Winchester Withe Box 5.556 NATO Q3131

Federal .223 55gr FMJ

Federal XM 193 5.56 55gr FMJ

Military surplus (forget who) 62 gr green tip

Commercial Federal 62 green tip

Federal tracers (forgot the grain weight)

PMC .223 (worked for me)

Australian surplus 5.56 FMJ (don't remember the projectile weight, it was the kind that came on AUG chargers)

Hornady TAP 60+ grain (forgot the exact weight) note taht this is the only non FMJ or Green tip round I have ever fired but it has a ballistic tip so an FMJ feed profile. I've never tried any soft points or HP's.

Best wishes to you and good luck.

tsh77769
ttarp

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 03:33:47 PM »

I fed my A3 whatever I had on hand, Monarch and Tula steel case, and Federal XM193 mostly.  Initially had to use the adverse gas setting for the steel cased ammo, but that only lasted for a mag or two.  Most of the shooting was simply plinking at 25 or 50 yards, its one of my "fun" guns I bring along whenever I take a guest to the range.  Had no problem hitting clays at 100 yards, but never really shot for groups.

My recently purchased A3M1 so far has only seen American Eagle 55gr .223, and American Eagle XM193.  After sighting the 1.5X optic in, I managed a 10 shot group slightly under 3" at 100 yards in the fading light.  Not all that impressive I know, but I was pleased with the results.  Shot the AUG for the second time in the local NRA High Power match today, ended up only 2 points shy of my best score, so I think I'll just stick with the American Eagle for a while.
Jonathanwild

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 01:09:09 PM »

Winchester white box 556 would double feed every Magazine with my STG 77
tsh77769

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 03:02:27 AM »

Check your gas setting?

tsh77769
Jonathanwild

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 01:45:12 PM »

Failed on both settings and tried different magazines
Jonathanwild

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 04:44:55 PM »

Failed on both settings and tried different magazines

Also note the rifle was past the break in period
LazyEngineer

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 07:24:56 PM »

I'd call Steyr at this point and suggest sending it back, something is wrong.
Jonathanwild

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 09:56:53 PM »

It works well with other ammo, just not with Winchester ammo
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 11:24:33 PM »

I've never had good experience with Winchester ammo, whether in autoloaders or my KSG. Winchester was the only ammo that gave my KSG and PX4 issues.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 11:14:31 AM »

I'm wondering what type of ammo you guys shoot through your AUGs, and how they perform in general.

I have been shooting primarily IMI M193 55 grain FMJ through my AUG with zero issues so far. I've got about 900 rounds or so fired off at this point, all of which had acceptable accuracy for a bulk-type of ammo. I've heard some horror stories about getting bad ammunition from IMI, but I haven't experienced anything. As an unexpected plus, identifying your brass at the end of a range day is easy due to the primer having a red circle surrounding it.  Grin

I shot a box of 120 rounds of Federal American Eagle XM193 prior to picking up the IMI stuff. I can't say that I noticed anything notable for accuracy changes compared to IMI, but for whatever reason one of my Steyr mags didn't play well with that ammo at all. Loading a magazine with 5 rounds and then shoving it into the magazine well produced the top round popping out of the magazine almost every time. I'm not sure if this was due to user error (I had just gotten the rifle at this point), or if for whatever reason my magazine and the AE ammo just weren't made for each other. I used up the box, and then moved onto IMI.

First 500 rounds or so, likely 'more than enough,' known 'full power' or milspec ammo.  Since then - anything and everything other than steel cased (personal preference) w/out issue.

I have a feeling your top round popping out is due to being new to the rifle and doing the 'AR mag slap' - completely not needed nor desired on an AUG.
Halmbarte

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 02:09:03 PM »

I've never had good experience with Winchester ammo, whether in autoloaders or my KSG. Winchester was the only ammo that gave my KSG and PX4 issues.

Having the top round pop loose is a pretty common failure, the military manual says when loading to room the rifle towards the side with the ejection port so if a round pops lose it will fall out instead of causing a stoppage. Not slamming the mag in on an open bolt helps too. I've heard on the interweb that the Magpul AUG mags were designed to alleviate that problem.

Winchester has been disappointing me since the early 90s. Since then every once in a great while I stumble across a 'really great deal' and surely they still can't suck. And then I avoid the for another 10 years.

My main AUG fodder as been the GECO 55gr ammo. Very accurate in pretty much everything I own and clean shooting. Only drawback is excessive muzzle flash when fired in low light, even with the stock Steyr flash suppressor.

For hollow points I'm using the Fiocchi 40gr ballistic tips. Yes, 40gr. They are reasonably accurate and disintegrate when they hit anything more solid than air.

For SS109 type ammo, I've been using either the ZQI or Fiocchi, whichever I can find cheaper.

H
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:14:26 PM by Halmbarte » Logged
DOWNS

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 11:27:57 AM »

Nearly all steel cased.  Ammo manuf by Barnaul mostly. 55gr FMJ, 55gr SP and 62gr SP
FullAssault

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 01:19:53 AM »

I shoot Wolf Gold. Averages around 1.5-2moa

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
-Samuel Adams
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length