Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2018, 01:55:55 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Turn rims
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Turn rims  (Read 966 times)
Siris

« on: July 08, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »

Since I've seen this a few times here thought I would weigh in. My MDR recently returned from DT due to a bad spring in the ejection cover. So naturally I was hot to get it to the range. I took it out and put quite a bit of rounds through it mostly surplus. The surplus i was using was a mix of PPU and the cheap Malaysian stuff. I did have four rounds tear in the chamber. 3 of the Malaysian and one from the batch of PPU. The other match brass I brought had no issues. I also put the same rounds through my scar and my buddy was using his fal. We went through all the brass and while we never had a failure to eject on the other two rifles there were definately some tears on the rims there as well. It also seemed the rims didnt start going till the rifle was hot and after I let it cool I stopped having issues. In the end given the damage from the other two rifles on the cases too we chalked it up to cheap weak brass and a very hot humid day with lots of continued shooting. On a side note the mdr seemed to really like that Malaysian stuff accuracy wise as it drilled dead center every shot that tore.

What ever happened to Democrat meaning drunken partying and pistol duels on the white house lawn, beating your would be assassin so senseless your security has to protect them from you, and one of your only two regrets is that you didn't kill your own vice president and running mate.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 07:14:27 PM »

Malaysian L2A2 is a very accurate round...if I do my part...I can get it under 2 inches out of my LMT.

Do you have a 3 or 6 position plug?
Siris

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 07:42:43 PM »

Malaysian L2A2 is a very accurate round...if I do my part...I can get it under 2 inches out of my LMT.

I have the OEM plug though I am considering the six position. Generally haven't had issues with the tree position and not planning to suppress so not sure.

Also just realized my typo here in the title....thanks phone

What ever happened to Democrat meaning drunken partying and pistol duels on the white house lawn, beating your would be assassin so senseless your security has to protect them from you, and one of your only two regrets is that you didn't kill your own vice president and running mate.
Blackandwhiteknight
^

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 09:03:22 PM »

I have the OEM plug though I am considering the six position. Generally haven't had issues with the tree position and not planning to suppress so not sure.

You're going to continue to see torn rims with the 3 position plug. I had similar observations of high pressure when the gun is hot.  I haven't got a clear response from anyone at DT but my speculation is that the heat is sealing up the gaps around the gas plug and upping the pressure.  The only torn rims I've had with M80 was when it was hot (200+ rounds).  I haven't has any issues since I switched to the six position plug.  Now that they are free you really should get one.
Siris

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 09:22:19 PM »

You're going to continue to see torn rims with the 3 position plug. I had similar observations of high pressure when the gun is hot.  I haven't got a clear response from anyone at DT but my speculation is that the heat is sealing up the gaps around the gas plug and upping the pressure.  The only torn rims I've had with M80 was when it was hot (200+ rounds).  I haven't has any issues since I switched to the six position plug.  Now that they are free you really should get one.
I just saw that, I am definitely going to catch that deal

thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 09:34:38 AM »

From the reports...I would def get a 6-position plug and turn down the gas one position from normal.
JesseJames38

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 11:20:21 AM »

I only have the 3-position gas valve, and my rifle runs just fine on the suppressed setting with no suppressor.  I never used the adverse setting. Just normal and suppressed.  Get the 6 pos gas valve as it only is the cost of S&H and you get the valve, spring, detent and roll pin.   But I would try using the suppressed setting and see what happens..

And the ammo I used in the suppressed setting was Remington 150gr core lok. and some STG 58  7.62 nato.

Jesse.
coldboremiracle

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 11:54:31 AM »

But I would try using the suppressed setting and see what happens.
I would always use the lowest setting that the gun will function on.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:32:49 PM by coldboremiracle » Logged

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
Siris

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 01:53:59 PM »

I do think it serves to reiterate that both the scar and the fal tore the rims up too just didnt tear them completely free. That being said I do think I'm going to look into the six position. At that price point there's no reason not to.

thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 06:02:54 PM »

Could these accuracy fliers be the curse of bullpups? Tavor does the same after about 10-15rds fired.
Siris

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 06:49:09 PM »

Could these accuracy fliers be the curse of bullpups? Tavor does the same after about 10-15rds fired.

No no the Malaysian rounds were probably some of the most accurate rounds I shot that day.

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length