Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2018, 01:48:23 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  DT Sponsored MDR Q&A thread.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: DT Sponsored MDR Q&A thread.  (Read 15793 times)
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2018, 07:43:15 PM »

Psychological manipulation warfare.  blasting

AE
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2018, 07:13:32 AM »

Itís been this way for a long time now. Nick comes on the forum and promises a bunch of updates in the next few days and nothing happens for weeks to months after. It would almost be better if he didnít promise anything. Because at this point we canít take much of what he says with any confidence.
Yep. Feels like it's done just so people won't pull their orders back.
Radius13
^

« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2018, 08:03:56 PM »

So those of you last few (like me) that still have not gotten your Group Buy MDRs yet....I looks like we get to have one last "2 more weeks" delay for ol' times sake. Roll Eyes

This time I figure it is legit however, since Jon is located about 10 miles or so from the S.C. coast and has a projected Cat. 3 at landfall hurricane headed right where he is. Anyway, he is preparing (as we would in that situation), but that means no shipments starting now and maybe not for a while during hurricane clean up.
I hope he keeps our orders safe from flood waters.
Anyone know if the plastic MDR cases are watertight?
I can only image ending up with a rusty MDR after waiting this FN (Ha,Ha) long.

(Movie announcer voice): Our orders depend on your survival!  Shocked

Well, Get all boarded up and safe.
Hope you have a generator & at least a "Jon" boat.  Wink

That is all.

EWTHeckman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #123 on: September 12, 2018, 09:21:12 PM »

Well, Get all boarded up and safe.
Hope you have a generator & at least a "Jon" boat.  Wink

This is no time for a tragic boating accident. That's supposed to be after delivery!

Seriously, be safe everyone!
ney1
^

« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2018, 04:37:44 PM »

Guys,
Its been three weeks since you have heard from me.  We are working on the 5.56 update video now.  Analyzing production timelines takes multiple departments and vendors forecasts to get the best information that we can, hence that is why it has taken a few weeks to get the announcement together.  As I said before the 5.56 is delayed due to some re-engineering that we did to the extractor and ejection chute in order to maximize the 556 reliability with a diverse group if silencers options.  The 5.56 rifles will have their new extractors in November and their new chutes in Dec.  This isn't a supplier issue it is an engineering change that caused this delay. 

I understand it isn't the news people wanted but one thing we are considering to make everyone happier is that we could ship the 5.56 rifles prior to the chutes being received and the rifles will function 100% and then in December ship the chutes once they are received.  For those with 5.56 rifles please let me know what you would desire.  Receive the rifle in Nov without the chute and get it in december or just receive the rifle and chute in december?

Toy Maker and CEO of Desert Tech, LLC
critter

« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2018, 04:55:53 PM »

The faster the better. I would even go for no chute and gen1 extractor for now. Would that be an option?
critter

« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2018, 04:59:25 PM »

If those are the holdups it may be a good way to make customers happy and offload the initial batch of extractors with the note that suppressed may be problematic until the new extractor is installed. Win/Win.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2018, 08:09:29 PM »

I would tend to agree with the "faster the better" approach with a well written and explained explanation, however, my concern is knowing who to send the chutes to when they're ready.  I would suspect that you'll be fulfilling both direct sales from your website as well as those to dealers (and the group buy), so knowing who to send it to would be pretty simple for the direct sales, but the vendor sales might be more difficult.  Some folks are quirky about registering anything, even with the manufacturer, so that might be an issue.  Also, if a dealer holds on to some MDRs "for the future" rather than selling them, when they do sell they won't have the ejection chute.

I think this is a Catch-22, and while it could reflect very favorably on Desert Tech that you're shipping product, I'm not so sure about the long term logistics or consequences.

Kurt
ney1
^

« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2018, 09:17:37 PM »

That is something we didn't consider, I will get back to everyone on that option. 

Toy Maker and CEO of Desert Tech, LLC
critter

« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2018, 09:21:31 PM »

Thank you for the consideration of this.
Chief Master

« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2018, 09:25:30 PM »

Nick, thank you for your post and for considering outside-the-box solutions. I'm a direct sale purchaser waiting on a 5.56 model, and I feel torn. I've been waiting a long time since I originally placed my order in 2016, and I would really like my rifle. But I'm obviously the type of person who is willing to wait to make sure the gun is built right, since I've waited this long. If you could ship me the rifle with a current ejection chute, and then send me the updated chute when they arrive, I think that would be ideal. But that's just me.  Wink
LinkHyrule03
New Posting Member

« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2018, 11:00:16 PM »

I would personally prefer to wait a little longer to get a completed rifle.
For reference, I'm an early 2016 pre-order for .223, ordered through a DT dealer.
I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of arranging to get the ejection chute. I'm already having to have my MDR transferred from the dealer I ordered it through to the FFL near me (because in the years I've been waiting for the MDR, I've moved halfway across the country, and there are surely other people in a similar situation, given how much things can change given a few years). I'm two steps removed from DT, unfortunately.
If the difference is only a month or two, I can very happily handle that wait in order to get a completed rifle.

On a related note, if we ordered a .223 MDR and a .308 conversion, would the conversion ship at the same time, or are conversions on hiatus until later?
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2018, 11:56:24 PM »

I would wait. It would be like buying a new car sans doors and then waiting a couple (? - track record) of months later to get your doors. I hope you live in a good neighborhood without those doors on you high priced whip.

I see the great salt lake fisherman made an elusive and timely appearance to set the hook once again.

Also how many people will howl bloody murder on the uberwebz if their 5.56 MDR has extraction problems with the interim extractor, even if it just with their SSD (superdupersuppressor)?

Wait till it is complete and functional, one of the issues with the 7.62 MDT is that it was released early to appease the masses and that didn't work out so well. Also is replacing the extractor something joeshmoe shooter can accomplish on their own? Too many ifs.

DT would be setting themselves up to repeat history if they release it early to keep the uberwebz keyboard commandos happy.

AE
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:07:29 AM by Aussie E » Logged
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2018, 12:12:58 AM »

100% agree with Aussie.

Nick. Wait until it is done correctly then release.
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2018, 12:37:19 PM »

DT would be setting themselves up to repeat history if they release it early to keep the uberwebz keyboard commandos happy.

AE

You're confused by what the word "early" means.

The rifle is late. It's basically a year late at this point.

And the problem is that it always seems to be "but we found this problem"

Last April, 

As we have demonstrated at 2018 Shot Show and various other events, the initial 223 MDR Test Guns are performing exceptionally well. However, the emphasis from the engineering staff on the MDR production ramp up has constrained our engineering resources, causing the longevity testing to take longer than anticipated.
We are nearly complete with the testing that we expect will ensure an amazing experience for every rifleís first trip to the range. Upon completion of the testing we will begin Final Production of 223 MDRís and expect to start shipping in June 2018.

They were nearly complete with testing as of April. Now, in September, they are informing us of a design changes that will require four months to implement.

And this is a year after telling us that the MDR was undergoing "torture" testing.
toddfandb

« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »

I have the 5.56 conversion kit ordered. Would be very happy to get almost the whole thing first and the chute a month or so later.
We be great to start shooting it sooner than later. Adding the chute and its capabilities would be a bonus. 
Wolfrage
New Posting Member

« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2018, 04:27:28 PM »

Receive the rifle in Nov without the chute and get it in december or just receive the rifle and chute in december?

I'd want it in november.  If it's delayed again I will need to cancel so we can put the funds to reviewing other products. 
Chief Master

« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2018, 04:57:32 PM »

Well, that's it for me, folks. I finally canceled my 2016 MDR (5.56) order today. I really wanted it to be my first semi-auto rifle, but I have lost my last bit of confidence that I will receive a quality MDR in the near future.

I'm going to build myself an AR-15 for a little less money. I hope that somewhere down the road, when the MDR is a bit more established, I'll be able to get the bullpup rifle I've been waiting for all along.
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2018, 05:29:53 PM »

Well, that's it for me, folks. I finally canceled my 2016 MDR (5.56) order today. I really wanted it to be my first semi-auto rifle, but I have lost my last bit of confidence that I will receive a quality MDR in the near future.

I'm going to build myself an AR-15 for a little less money. I hope that somewhere down the road, when the MDR is a bit more established, I'll be able to get the bullpup rifle I've been waiting for all along.

Great foundation below and the LMT ambi lower - MARS is reasonably priced as well. Get the NZ for coolness factor / bayonet lug. And it kills me as an Aussie to recommend anything Kiwi.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/ar-15-cqb-starter-kit-upper-receivers-5-56-picatinny-prod122615.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=LEWIS%2bMACHINE%2bzzxzz%2bTOOL

From everything online the MRP is one of the best uppers out there, just pricy. With the sale price and discount code NDV it's only about $630. Can't beat that. Quick change barrel, multi caliber, ambi, what's not to love?

AE

mityno1
^

« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2018, 07:40:33 PM »

Well, that's it for me, folks. I finally canceled my 2016 MDR (5.56) order today. I really wanted it to be my first semi-auto rifle...

While I agree that an AR-15 should be everyone's first semi-auto, I find 5.56 to be inadequate for civilians at anything other than target and training tasks. Yes, you can take a deer with a well-placed shot from a BB gun, but I desire a caliber that can take a deer despite a poorly placed shot because I have not eaten in a week or slept in a couple of days. And in this kind of imaginary scenario, I would be in no shape to blood trail a wounded deer for several miles when that blood trail is from a small .22 caliber hole.

This is where there is no substitute for .308 as a minimum rifle caliber for me. Yes, I am trading off the power of 7mm and .300 winmag that are much better deer calibers. .308 is is on the low end of an acceptable deer caliber in my not so humble opinion, but it is adequate for that purpose.

.308 has the advantage of being a little less expensive because it is a NATO caliber, and far more semi-auto rifle options with the SCAR-17 being at the top of that list. But whatever flavor works for you, AR-10 platform, HK/PTR-91, M1A, FAL, etc.

.308 will have far more versatility and utility outside of target and/or training purposes and will be the rifle you wished you had if you find 5.56 to be inadequate for the task at hand.  .308 was designed specifically to be a fully automatic short action .30 caliber round and has been proven reliable in many military actions over the decades.

I would almost say that a heavy caliber bolt gun is a better choice for civilian practicality than a 5.56 AR, but the rate of fire and continuity of fire issues make any caliber semi-auto more practical than a bolt gun in most really bad situations.

So at the end of the day, everyone should have at least one AR, (I have several despite not particularly liking them).

But an AR-15 is neither a .30 caliber nor is it a Bullpup.  

But I will say a .30 caliber Bullpup of any make or model, is probably not the best choice for one's very first semi-auto.

Just like some cars are not the best first car choices for a new driver. Get some time behind the wheel of an AR and eventually, you will want to add a .308 semi and a Bullpup to your collection, or have both in a .308 Bullpup platform.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:45:56 PM by mityno1 » Logged

Re: MDR Group Buy - official BPF list!
ę Reply #360 on: January 04, 2015, 05:29:50 AM Ľ
(Still waiting patiently on an FDE...)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length