Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2018, 08:52:35 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  MDR - First Range Trip
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MDR - First Range Trip  (Read 890 times)
VirtualMayhem
New Posting Member

« on: June 12, 2018, 07:30:52 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I made my first trip to the range last night with my new MDR. This was just designed to check functionality of the rifle at an indoor range - didn't zero the optic or test accuracy just wanted to see where this was at "out of the box" so to speak. I like the ergonomics of the rifle - compact, and the weight seems well balanced with the optic on it. Felt recoil wasn't terrible but it's not my X95 Tavor in .223 either - you definitely feel it.

My setup:
FDE MDR in .308
Nightforce ATACR 1-8X
Deadair .308 Brake
Sandman-K
Lancer L7 Mags (5, 20 and 25 rounder all new)
Ammo: Freedom

I followed the break in procedure for "suppressed" posted by ES Tactical in the thread on the forum as I plan on shooting 100% suppressed. I set the gas to "Suppressed", removed the ejection panel and fired the single round loaded in the 5 round mag. Round fired and ejected without issue but the magazine which was empty fell out of the rifle.

I then put in the 20 round magazine still with the ejection panel removed and had a failure to feed when dropping the charging handle. I could see through the open ejection panel that the wasn't picking the round cleanly off the magazine and was jamming it up short of the chamber. After a couple times of removing the magazine, reseating the first round I was able to fire 8-10 consecutive rounds suppressed without any issues. I removed the mag, had a try it and the same failure to feed issues occurred and he noticed the magazine with around 10 rounds in it was about to fall out before firing even though it "clicked" in. I decided to stop using the 20 round magazine and move on to the 25 rounder to see if it was just a bad magazine.

After inserting the 25 round magazine, same failure to feed issues as the 20 rounder but on the 3rd try it worked and I fired 1 shot and the magazine fell out onto the bench with 24 rounds still in it. I decided at this point to stop shooting - I knew I should have brought the PMAG that came with the rifle with me as I could have compared it to the Lancers and see if it was just the L7's in general.

While I am a bit bummed about the magazine situation I hope the PMAG's run fine which I will test. Overall though the rifle cycled reliably, the brass did not look too beat up either - next test with the PMAG's I'll take pics of the brass and post it here for comparison purposes. I do have the 6 position gas plug in hand but opted to start with the 3 position just to see how it runs.

Overall I hope the PMAG solves the magazine feed/drop issues and if it does I'd say that is a good sign compared to some other experiences I have seen on here.

thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »

Lancers are known to cause issues in the MDR...try the PMAGS.
newguy2k3

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 10:09:06 PM »

Gen2/3 Pmags were the only ones that didn't fall out of mine in stock form which I guess is ok if that's all you were going to use but you're also on the edge of reliability which I don't exactly see as a good thing.
Blackandwhiteknight
^

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:13:30 AM »

Lancer mags will most likely not work.  I did some posting on the feedramp here.

http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=13106.0

Short version is the feedramps are really low so its dragging cartridge into the feedlips on the steel mag.  I would go with the Pmag, and would try unsuppressed until you get it working.  If you don't have the 6 position gas plug you really should get it.  Hope this helps.
AF Gunner

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 08:33:04 AM »

Lancer mags didn't work for me either, Magpul work fine.
VirtualMayhem
New Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 06:51:37 PM »

Unfortunately brand new Pmag's are also dropping out of the rifle after 1-2 rounds. I'm in touch with Desert Tech service and I may end up having to ship it back - need to check on something they sent me a few days ago tonight. I'll post here what I find out.

Outside the magazines dropping out of the rifle it's been shooting fine though  Grin
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 10:20:57 PM »

Well suck. Didnít expect PMAGS to cause you issues
Ditcher
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 10:28:50 PM »

Unfortunately brand new Pmag's are also dropping out of the rifle after 1-2 rounds. I'm in touch with Desert Tech service and I may end up having to ship it back - need to check on something they sent me a few days ago tonight. I'll post here what I find out.

Outside the magazines dropping out of the rifle it's been shooting fine though  Grin

Might have been built on a Monday or Friday.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length