Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 06:40:08 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  My SAR Build
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My SAR Build  (Read 2138 times)
taylorj

« on: June 06, 2018, 09:57:40 PM »

I think I finally nailed down the build for my SAR. Iíve had it for about five years and have some 9k+ rounds through it, mostly suppressed. I use it extensively to hunt small and dangerous game and pests like hogs, badgers, and snakes.

The parts upgrades are as follows (I have no manufacturer affiliations):

18.5Ē IWI SAR (original version, before the bolt changes)
Snow Gray Duracoat
SilencerCo Saker 762 on a Trifecta flash hider
Vortex Huey UH-1 Holo
MBUS BUIS
Magpul MS4 sling
Manticore overwatch rail, custom cut
RPM Extended MLOK rail (imported from Canada!)
Gearhead Charging handle
Gearhead FLEX Gas port
Geissele Trigger Bow and Super Sabra trigger (a must have)
Shootingsight custom heavy recoil spring (for suppressed shooting)
Angled shell deflector (a must have)
Custom free floated
Custom ďQuick DetachĒ barrel modifications (~1:30 barrel removal)

The gun shoots like a dream, especially after the mods. It really likes Black Hills 62gr TSX and shoots groups of .5 MOA with that ammo, 1.5-2 MOA with most others, and 4-6 MOA with M855 (eww).

Reliability is great, although I have broken quite a few parts both factory and custom. Does not work well with Lancer Mags and I could never get the Manticore handles to work properly.

If you have any questions on the build, SAR, or parts, I can probably answer it.

* IMG_8427.jpg (3699.5 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 440 times.)

* IMG_8433.jpg (3736.73 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 321 times.)

* IMG_8171.jpg (778.61 KB, 1843x2461 - viewed 247 times.)
* IMG_7192.JPG (0 KB - downloaded 98 times.)
taylorj

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 10:06:33 PM »

Broken picture fix:

* IMG_7192.JPG (1980.58 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 240 times.)
MajorKong

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 11:47:29 PM »

What kind of top rail are you using?  Don't think I have ever seen one like that. 

Who did your "custom" barrel work? 

taylorj

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 12:16:54 AM »

Manticore Overwatch rail. Gives it a FAMAS carry handle kind of look. I chopped off the last 3 inches of it though because it would chew up my goggles and or face.

The ďQDĒ barrel (emphasis on quotations) is made possible by removing polymer from the frame where the rail system would snag, necessitating either 3 hands and a vice to pry apart, or removal of the rail and optic (loss of zero).

The free floating also is necessary, although this is entirely due to the bayonet. I suspect the 16.5Ē versions that this would not be necessary.

Now the barrel comes off in a little over a minute, optics rail and zeroed optics included. Not a true QD system because it requires tools  still, but It makes cleaning a million times easier.

Edit: I did it myself. Easy to do, although a little nerve wracking.

* IMG_8435.jpg (0 KB - downloaded 71 times.)
* IMG_8436.jpg (0 KB - downloaded 66 times.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 12:54:51 AM by taylorj » Logged
taylorj

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 12:18:53 AM »

Broken image fix again:

* IMG_8435.jpg (2274.08 KB, 3770x2831 - viewed 221 times.)

* IMG_8436.jpg (2008.31 KB, 3741x2804 - viewed 194 times.)
AverageJo

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 08:52:13 AM »

It looks very nice. The only thing I did to mine was swap a trigger with x95. Otherwise itís all stock.
AverageJo

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 08:54:29 AM »

waffleironskillet

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 03:00:07 PM »

That is quite the build.

I am interested in what exactly was done to "free float" the barrel?
Jack Flag

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 03:31:40 PM »

I see zero point to the "QD" barrel mod. But I like everything else and it looks cool.  Grin
taylorj

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 03:38:37 PM »

@waffleironskillet

Thereís a U shaped ďclampĒ which connects the handguard, barrel, and front sight post together. This isnít really necessary without the IDF fromt sight post. You need to remove a rubber insert and then file or dremel down the U.

So mine basically only holds the handguard to the plastic frame now, without touching the barrel.

I did not notice any accuracy changes whatsoever. I did it entirely because it was necessary for the barrel removal system I came up with (due to the proximity of the bayonet lug).
taylorj

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 03:45:07 PM »

@Jack Flag

It seems silly at first, but Iíve been mulling it over for years. I did it in the last year, and it really cuts down on maintenance time. Allows for easy chamber and piston access without losing zero. I should add that the suppressor makes the gun filthy.

It took about 5-10 minutes and prep before just to remove the barrel, and now I can take it out, completely clean it, and put it back together while watching TV in the same span of time.

I would not advise anyone else to do it unless the gun gets taken down weekly.
larryz

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 08:00:30 AM »

I really like the grey-on-black ceracote.  I just can't justify spending the $ for a merely cosmetic treatment...
taylorj

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 06:20:47 PM »

Not cerakote, just duracoat in a can.

$60 plus a TON of prep and painters tape.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 11:02:09 PM »

What size bicycle tube is that? Grin
lee1000

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 02:21:01 PM »

Nice rifle

What mods would you recommend for a lefty that wants a right handed X95 which will be suppressed with a 308 suppressor? I'm more worried about gas to the face and casing ejection.

Have tried the adjustable gas block mod using a screw?

I noticed you mentioned wearing goggles, do you wear them because of gas to the face?
taylorj

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 08:23:02 PM »

I sometimes wear goggles because I live in sandy/ windy/ blizzardy areas. 

At a minimum, you will want a new brass deflector, probably the manticore port cover, and then some clear sealant caulk. Seal the port cover during installation, and then around the polymer gas piston tube (the one that drops in over the barrel).

I have not tried the adjuatable gas method simply because I donít want to mess with something so integral to the function. All Iíve done is modify cosmetic and ergonomic components. I would not recommend it. See if Shootingsite has any more of the heavy recoil springs for shooting suppressed.

Overall though, I do not recommend shooting the Tavor wrong handed. Iíve done it, and it ejects brass so hard it will feel like getting slapped should one miss the deflector (which is often in my experience). With the gas reductions, ALL of the gas will come out the ejection port too, so there will be more gas shooting wrong handed.

Get the lefty conversion from IWI (just a headspaced bolt, IWI does it at relative cost I think, but you have to send your gun in). Then do the above mods.
taylorj

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 08:26:49 PM »

TLDR on all of the above:

Duct tape also works (seriously)
lee1000

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 04:33:08 AM »

I sometimes wear goggles because I live in sandy/ windy/ blizzardy areas. 

At a minimum, you will want a new brass deflector, probably the manticore port cover, and then some clear sealant caulk. Seal the port cover during installation, and then around the polymer gas piston tube (the one that drops in over the barrel).

I have not tried the adjuatable gas method simply because I donít want to mess with something so integral to the function. All Iíve done is modify cosmetic and ergonomic components. I would not recommend it. See if Shootingsite has any more of the heavy recoil springs for shooting suppressed.

Overall though, I do not recommend shooting the Tavor wrong handed. Iíve done it, and it ejects brass so hard it will feel like getting slapped should one miss the deflector (which is often in my experience). With the gas reductions, ALL of the gas will come out the ejection port too, so there will be more gas shooting wrong handed.

Get the lefty conversion from IWI (just a headspaced bolt, IWI does it at relative cost I think, but you have to send your gun in). Then do the above mods.

Thanks.....but damn it. I really wanted this to be an option.
Rastoff

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 09:46:50 PM »

Overall though, I do not recommend shooting the Tavor wrong handed. Iíve done it, and it ejects brass so hard it will feel like getting slapped should one miss the deflector (which is often in my experience).
I've had the opposite experience. I'm a lefty, but done plenty of shooting from the right shoulder. I've had brass touch me, but I seem to be able to keep my head back far enough that it really isn't an issue.

Take this with a grain of salt because I've never shot one suppressed.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
taylorj

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 12:28:31 PM »

The suppressor makes the brass kick out MUCH faster. I broke my stock recoil spring after a couple thousand rounds and was outrunning certain magazines.

I had trouble finding my brass. Before the new brass deflector, some of it would end up 20-30 feet forward, some about 10 feet back.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length