Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2018, 03:44:24 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  New RFB owner with questions
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New RFB owner with questions  (Read 788 times)
tommytwoguns

« on: May 20, 2018, 12:58:23 PM »

Got my RFB hunter with the long 24 inch barrel.  On the first take down I was watching youtube vids as I did it.  All the youtube vids I watched showed the bolt assembly as being a sorta gold color which was described as being titanium plated.  My bolt assembly was black like the rest of the internals.  Anyone have insight about this; should I worry or not.  Also wondering about optics.  I am planning on hunting hogs but truth be told will be putting a lot more rounds down range than in hogs.  Have other weapons in 5.56 and 6.5 CM but they are all conventional so I am wondering about the durability of optics on a weapon which may have more recoil.

Any other tips welcome.  Not sure when I can take it to the range for the first time as the weather is rain for the next week or more with possible TS hitting Florida.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 06:27:47 PM »

Two possibilities on your bolt color.  You didn't mention how old this Hunter 24 is.  Is it used or new?  All Gen1 RFB's had dark or chrome colored bolts.  The gold colored bolts came out on Gen2 models.  However, I'm pretty sure that I saw on the KTOG site that at some point RFB's have a different bolt treatment now that is black again.  It's supposed to be nitride which is usually black and is a great finish.
tommytwoguns

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 11:04:00 PM »

Two possibilities on your bolt color.  You didn't mention how old this Hunter 24 is.  Is it used or new?  All Gen1 RFB's had dark or chrome colored bolts.  The gold colored bolts came out on Gen2 models.  However, I'm pretty sure that I saw on the KTOG site that at some point RFB's have a different bolt treatment now that is black again.  It's supposed to be nitride which is usually black and is a great finish.

As far as I can tell it is new, least that is what it was sold as.  No wear on any of the internals and it seems new.  Serial number is T3Uxx so looks like a Gen2 based on that.  Also has the Gen2 style spring and gas piston.
Ronmar

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 11:55:50 PM »

KT has used a couple different coatings over the years.  Not a big deal, they all work well...

As for optics and recoil, set correctly, the RFB is the softest shooting 7.62 I have ever fired.  Not much more recoil than an AR IMO.  The sight rail spanning between the forward and rear towers can allow a little flex though.  Because of this I would reccomend a single piece, non cantilevered mount.  There is a slo-mo video floating around someplace of an RFB with a overhung/cantilevered mount and the scope is bouncing all over the place during the shot. 

I went with an ADM recon-s to hang a leupold 1.1-5 MRT on my RFB.  Best mount I have ever owned, the manufacturer said folks run these on .50s without issue. Little more expensive but will help to keep the expensive optic from flexing...
tommytwoguns

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 12:47:26 AM »

I have a Nikon 223 3-9X scope with the single piece Nikon 223 mount on my AR.  I will probably switch that to the RFB and if it works out buy another one.  Not shooting the AR a lot now.  I have Spuhr mount on my Tikka but that seems like overkill for the RFB.  Also run an Echo Tec holographic with a 4X flip out of the way behind it on my P90.  Not sure which is the best option for the Hunter.  I have seen youtube vids where they are shooting the Hunter out to 500 yards which with my old tired eyes would need good optics. 
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length