Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2018, 02:59:54 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  New Gas Valve available for purchase
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print
Author Topic: New Gas Valve available for purchase  (Read 11712 times)
mityno1
^

« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2018, 12:31:11 AM »

Mityno1 are you in Tennessee?

No, but I've been to Camden TN and hope to return many more times before my number is called.  Cool

I'm a Georgia native and I still reside in GA. My work takes me throughout the Atlanta/North Georgia area.  I grew up around Mabelton area not far from where the Glock factory in Smyrna is now and near where Hard Times Armory that did so many conversion back in the day (RIP JD Farmer) used to be. And I wasn't far from where most of the MAC10's and MAC11's were produced in Powder Springs the 70's and 80's by the dubious Sylvia and Wayne Daniel and where Mitchell WerBell III (RIP Mitch) ran his compound with Jason Lau who still runs a Wing Chun Dojo in Smyrna.

I pass through "Gun Town USA" (Kennesaw) fairly frequently where the local law states you must own a firearm if you are a head of household (unless you are a felon or object to this law). TAPCO started there and still has operations there but when Remmington acquired them they moved the customer support to Mississippi.

I also pass through Lawrenceville where AAC used to be before Remmington bought them and they moved to AL. Back when AAC got SAAMI certification for .300 Blackout.

Are you in TN wagrn? If so, what part?

Re: MDR Group Buy - official BPF list!
Reply #360 on: January 04, 2015, 05:29:50 AM
(Still waiting patiently on an FDE...)
wagrn
^

« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2018, 05:05:18 AM »

Mityno1 are you in Tennessee?

No, but I've been to Camden TN and hope to return many more times before my number is called.  Cool

I'm a Georgia native and I still reside in GA. My work takes me throughout the Atlanta/North Georgia area.  I grew up around Mabelton area not far from where the Glock factory in Smyrna is now and near where Hard Times Armory that did so many conversion back in the day (RIP JD Farmer) used to be. And I wasn't far from where most of the MAC10's and MAC11's were produced in Powder Springs the 70's and 80's by the dubious Sylvia and Wayne Daniel and where Mitchell WerBell III (RIP Mitch) ran his compound with Jason Lau who still runs a Wing Chun Dojo in Smyrna.

I pass through "Gun Town USA" (Kennesaw) fairly frequently where the local law states you must own a firearm if you are a head of household (unless you are a felon or object to this law). TAPCO started there and still has operations there but when Remmington acquired them they moved the customer support to Mississippi.

I also pass through Lawrenceville where AAC used to be before Remmington bought them and they moved to AL. Back when AAC got SAAMI certification for .300 Blackout.

Are you in TN wagrn? If so, what part?

Thompson's Station/Franklin little south of Nashville.

Sdevante
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2018, 09:49:09 AM »

Thompson's Station/Franklin little south of Nashville.

Thompson's Station is quite lovely. Almost bought a house out there.
wagrn
^

« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2018, 12:28:47 PM »

Yes it is, like all of the county it is getting more crowded everyday.  Love it though, going to try to get some shooting/riding ground in one of the surrounding counties.
Blackandwhiteknight
^

« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2018, 01:29:20 AM »

Just saw this pop up.

InRangeTV
AZ2G - SCAR 17 "Heavy" - Stage 2 - SCAR no workie
https://youtu.be/nM0LV4XQIDQ

turns out you can choke a SCAR too.
mityno1
^

« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2018, 02:43:40 AM »

I have run between 1,200 and 1,400 rounds of ZQI through my Scar 17 with zero hiccups.

But my first time cleaning it, I found the three piston gas rings had all of the gaps aligned together.  I discovered this when trying to figure out why it was so dirty from the first few dozen rounds. Of course, I staggered the rings 180* and it runs much cleaner now. Longest run between cleaning and lubing was 800 rounds over a couple of months. It was still running fine when I cleaned it, but I do run the bolt wetter than most.

Dirty and dry will cause problems in almost any semi-auto.  If you find yourself in the middle of the zombie apocalypse and no firearm maintenance supplies, you can use motor oil from the dipstick of any car you find to keep your bolts running.

If you are in below zero temps, mix around 5% gasoline with the motor oil you are lubing your guns with. That's what the Russians did in WWII to keep their rifles running while the Germans could not get their frozen guns to cycle, even their bolt guns were frozen and had to be warmed to cycle.

Here is the video that precedes the malfunction video where they talk about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D8ktSBxfgg

Re: MDR Group Buy - official BPF list!
Reply #360 on: January 04, 2015, 05:29:50 AM
(Still waiting patiently on an FDE...)
wagrn
^

« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »

Question for you guys would it make any difference on break in to go ahead and install the new six position block or just do the first 200 with stock block?
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2018, 01:41:03 PM »

While I would say that any gun however it ships should function 100% with said parts...with the MDR...I would not follow that rule and install the new plug if you have it...but it really doesnt matter because the instructions from DT is to run it in Adverse for the first 200rds...they are the same setting on both plugs I believe.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2018, 06:26:49 PM »

Just saw this pop up.

InRangeTV

Let's put this in proper context...the SCAR that Ian and Karl were using had been tweaked by the owner to run suppressed with the minimal amount of gas being used and had a custom gas plug to make reduce the amount of gas fed to the piston.  Had it been stock, I doubt they would have seen any issues.

Kurt
Blackandwhiteknight
^

« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2018, 08:59:17 PM »

Just saw this pop up.

InRangeTV

Let's put this in proper context...the SCAR that Ian and Karl were using had been tweaked by the owner to run suppressed with the minimal amount of gas being used and had a custom gas plug to make reduce the amount of gas fed to the piston.  Had it been stock, I doubt they would have seen any issues.

Just pointing out how tweaking a gas system can change things quick on a piston gun.  Hoping the new plug is what the MDR needed. Got mine in yesterday and the quality difference is noticeable. The MDR should not have shipped without them.  The detents are more positive, the adjustment is over a much wider range(which apparently was needed), and the ability to adjust it from the end with a screw driver is nice.  Over all the machining looked cleaner, with a nice notch to indicate the install position.  Having to pay almost $70 after shipping to get something that should have been on the gun when I got it is insulting...  Heading out in the morning to sling some lead. We'll see how it goes.
GoShort

« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2018, 10:08:42 PM »

I got mine yesterday also
It is not sleeved and there is one step in the valve near the back end.
I will try to get some measurements and upload pics incase any know tha math to figure out the volume differencr from it and the original.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2018, 11:29:13 PM »

Just pointing out how tweaking a gas system can change things quick on a piston gun.  Hoping the new plug is what the MDR needed. Got mine in yesterday and the quality difference is noticeable. The MDR should not have shipped without them.  The detents are more positive, the adjustment is over a much wider range(which apparently was needed), and the ability to adjust it from the end with a screw driver is nice.  Over all the machining looked cleaner, with a nice notch to indicate the install position.  Having to pay almost $70 after shipping to get something that should have been on the gun when I got it is insulting...  Heading out in the morning to sling some lead. We'll see how it goes.

It might help one or two of the variables in the equation, but when the firearm won't even hand cycle (pull the bolt back on a loaded PMag and let it cycle forward under spring pressure) and load a round without crushing the shoulder, incurring bullet setback, or for that matter, eject a live round through the chute by manually cycling the action back on an empty mag (or no mag) and letting the bolt fly forward, there are issues far beyond a flaky gas plug.

Kurt
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2018, 12:05:06 AM »

or for that matter, eject a live round through the chute by manually cycling the action back on an empty mag (or no mag) and letting the bolt fly forward, there are issues far beyond a flaky gas plug.

lol...you lost me with this one kurt.  why wouldn't it eject a live round on an empty or no mag when manually cycled?  all other guns do it.  rdb with live round will eject the live round downward.  fs2000 will eject live round out the front chute....etc...  and, as designed, the mdr ejects the live round out the ejection chute on an empty or no mag when manually cycled.

now on an empty mag the live round will slide to the chute and remain until the bolt is released...subsequently flying forward once done.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 12:13:13 AM by HBeretta » Logged
Blackandwhiteknight
^

« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2018, 12:06:01 AM »

It might help one or two of the variables in the equation, but when the firearm won't even hand cycle (pull the bolt back on a loaded PMag and let it cycle forward under spring pressure) and load a round without crushing the shoulder, incurring bullet setback, or for that matter, eject a live round through the chute by manually cycling the action back on an empty mag (or no mag) and letting the bolt fly forward, there are issues far beyond a flaky gas plug.

I think one of the reasons the MDR is having so many issues cycling is the action is not energy efficient. From the low feed ramps, to the numerous snag points there is just a ton of stuff that slows it down.  Case in point (no pun intended), looking over the ejection chute paw that holds the round or spent case, the edges have sharp angles rather than radius edges.

Take a spent case and push it through the chute and you will notice the rim of the case catches on the edge of the paw, and the side of the paw gouges the side of the case.  Now remember that each cycle of the action has to push out a spent case, and you start to see the problem.

Each time I pop off the chute there is a pile of brass shavings in the back of the case cavity.  I guarantee the edges of the paw are what is causing it.  Really thinking about knocking off those edges off but it would be really obvious if i needed to send it in to DT, so I think I'll hold off for now.  Smoothing the edges would eliminate the snag, and prevent the case damage typical of the MDR chute. Probably looks fine in a CAD drawing or simulator, but a close eye and some hand testing reveals the problem.

The lower feedramps, and the sloppy magwell are also issues that are compounding these other problems, but I think that might be a conscious design element for the .223 conversion. Machining problems are most definitely hindering the MDR though.  That bur on the feedramp of mine was horrible. The 200 round break in didn't phase it.  I'm sure if DT isn't cleaning up those cuts there are all kinds of problems with peoples barrel extensions. You screw those up and you're not going to cycle anything.

Coldbore if you're seeing this, you guys need a user feedback link on your website, or a end user questionnaire we can fill out.  People are catching all kinds of things you guys need to know about.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2018, 12:19:13 AM »

or for that matter, eject a live round through the chute by manually cycling the action back on an empty mag (or no mag) and letting the bolt fly forward, there are issues far beyond a flaky gas plug.

lol...you lost me with this one kurt.  why wouldn't it eject a live round on an empty or no mag when manually cycled?  all other guns do it.  rdb with live round will eject the live round downward.  fs2000 will eject live round out the front chute....etc...  and, as designed, the mdr ejects the live round out the ejection chute on an empty or no mag when manually cycled.

now on an empty mag the live round will slide to the chute and remain until the bolt is released...subsequently flying forward once done.

Because when the action is cycled, the tip of the bullet nosedives back toward the interior of the rifle and misses the opening, only to get caught with the cartridge pushed forward enough that the bullet tip is trapped on the inside side of the hatch frame and the bolt/bolt carrier then proceeds  to crush the side of the cartridge facing the inside of the rifle.  There was at least one picture of this floating around recently that showed the cartridge held by the spring in the chute, but pushed forward enough that the bullet was behind the chute frame.

Kurt
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2018, 12:22:59 AM »

Coldbore if you're seeing this, you guys need a user feedback link on your website, or a end user questionnaire we can fill out.  People are catching all kinds of things you guys need to know about.

A very big +1.  I would also add that there should be some form of official and *regular* DT interaction with the owners via this or their own forum (the last comment in DT's MDR subforum was 6/21/2016).  That said, I can understand their hesitancy to do so given the animosity, snark, and just plain rudeness that has thrived on the public forums regarding their product.

Kurt
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2018, 12:49:06 AM »

Because when the action is cycled, the tip of the bullet nosedives back toward the interior of the rifle and misses the opening, only to get caught with the cartridge pushed forward enough that the bullet tip is trapped on the inside side of the hatch frame and the bolt/bolt carrier then proceeds  to crush the side of the cartridge facing the inside of the rifle.  There was at least one picture of this floating around recently that showed the cartridge held by the spring in the chute, but pushed forward enough that the bullet was behind the chute frame.

i understood your initial post but overlooked you implying that it won't eject out the chute AS WELL...a result of the bullet nosediving and so on, rather than normal function.

in any case, the numerous issues are disappointing.  most of all the delays up to release were due to testing.  i'd hope for bad QC or cheap vended parts as culprits rather than inherent design.  gas plug aside, i'm hoping the former and not the latter seeing as i do like the rifle features.  imagine a high(er) quality, problem free MDR...owners would be whistling zipadeedoodah out of their assholes.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 01:01:46 AM by HBeretta » Logged
EWTHeckman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2018, 11:16:04 AM »

Just saw this pop up.

InRangeTV

This morning they posted a mud test of that SCAR. Before doing it they reinstalled the factory gas plug. The rifle passed with flying colors. The only problem they had turned out to be a dud round.

https://www.full30.com/video/7f46bac73b8004e78bcf83ec8aa6953d
newguy2k3

« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2018, 12:07:23 PM »

I smoothed the sharp edge on the shell holder in the ejection chute almost right away when I couldn't eject cases by hand.

Ejection problems are one of the few issues I haven't had ever since.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2018, 08:24:37 PM »

I smoothed the sharp edge on the shell holder in the ejection chute almost right away when I couldn't eject cases by hand.

Ejection problems are one of the few issues I haven't had ever since.

Do you believe this is something that you *should* have had to do so that it would be reliable or that it should have come from the factory with it already done?  If this was a used Hi-Point carbine, I wouldn't mind taking a Dremel to it, but it's a $2500 rifle from what has been known as a premium manufacturer; this should have been right when it was taken from the box.

That little rant over, I have to wonder who much pressure from the public played in DT releasing it before the bugs were completely worked out.

Kurt
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length